JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
this was just sent to senator cantwell

In regards to your letter to Mr. Thurston,

This letter was brought to my attention and I have highlighted statements made by you which I have a question about each one.

1. Besides the Brady bunch and their terminology. in your opinion what is an assault weapon?

What ASSAULT WEAPONS are on the streets here in the United States of America. I would like to hear where a "FULL AUTO FIREARM" NOT A SEMI AUTO RIFLE (that is what a assault weapon is FULL AUTO) was used on the streets (in present times) of any State in the U.S. enough to cause a ban on any firearms

2. I would like to hear a definition of what consist of a gun show loophole. From where I stand in Washington State we are allowed to have a private transfer of firearms between residents of Washington without a background check. But if anyone buys a gun from a licensed dealer even at gun shows they DO have to go through a background check, So once again I ask you what is the "gun show loophole".

3. If you do support the Second Amendment what part of SHAL NOT BE INFRINGED do you not understand?

4. If you support increased gun-safety and gun-use education what do you propose? The N.R.A. has quite a history in promoting gun safety and education. since you support gun safety are you a member of the N.R.A to help support this?

there are over 40,000 gun laws on the books but yet the C.D.C. cannot prove ONE law which has stopped a criminal from committing a crime.

What is so hard for you or anyone to understand that you are only taking away liberties of law abiding citizens by imposing new gun laws, When you put forth a new gun law only law abiding people will obey the law, criminals will NOT.

Why do you not put pressure on the judges that are putting criminals back on the street with their plea bargaining instead of putting them where they belong "IN JAIL"

You were put in office to work FOR the people, not for the criminals by disarming LAW ABIDING CITIZENS, so start doing your job.

I will be patiently waiting for your response with the answers to my questions

Respectfully

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Thurston,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issue
s that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence.

1. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence.

2. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly,

3. I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

4.I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

this was just sent to senator cantwell

In regards to your letter to Mr. Thurston,

This letter was brought to my attention and I have highlighted statements made by you which I have a question about each one.

1. Besides the Brady bunch and their terminology. in your opinion what is an assault weapon?

What ASSAULT WEAPONS are on the streets here in the United States of America. I would like to hear where a "FULL AUTO FIREARM" NOT A SEMI AUTO RIFLE (that is what a assault weapon is FULL AUTO) was used on the streets (in present times) of any State in the U.S. enough to cause a ban on any firearms

2. I would like to hear a definition of what consist of a gun show loophole. From where I stand in Washington State we are allowed to have a private transfer of firearms between residents of Washington without a background check. But if anyone buys a gun from a licensed dealer even at gun shows they DO have to go through a background check, So once again I ask you what is the "gun show loophole".

3. If you do support the Second Amendment what part of SHAL NOT BE INFRINGED do you not understand?

4. If you support increased gun-safety and gun-use education what do you propose? The N.R.A. has quite a history in promoting gun safety and education. since you support gun safety are you a member of the N.R.A to help support this?

there are over 40,000 gun laws on the books but yet the C.D.C. cannot prove ONE law which has stopped a criminal from committing a crime.

What is so hard for you or anyone to understand that you are only taking away liberties of law abiding citizens by imposing new gun laws, When you put forth a new gun law only law abiding people will obey the law, criminals will NOT.

Why do you not put pressure on the judges that are putting criminals back on the street with their plea bargaining instead of putting them where they belong "IN JAIL"

You were put in office to work FOR the people, not for the criminals by disarming LAW ABIDING CITIZENS, so start doing your job.

I will be patiently waiting for your response with the answers to my questions

Respectfully

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same exact form letter they don't read squat

I got the exact same response from both letters I have sent to her office. I did not get a response from Patty Murray but on the bright side I got a better response from Jamie Herrera Beutler. See below.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent outbreak of shootings around the country.

Nothing I write in a letter feels like a satisfactory response to such an awful series of events. My heart goes out to the families of the victims of these unfathomable crimes. I simply do not have the words to encapsulate the anguish and loss they have experienced. As a wife, daughter and sister, my prayers are with the families who must now grapple with the absence of their own loved ones and family members.

Tragedies such as these raise many issues with regard to public policy and public welfare. As an elected official, I took an oath to uphold our Constitution, including the Second Amendment contained within it that guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. While I believe that law-abiding citizens should have this right protected, I also believe we should review our current legal safeguards and restrictions to ensure that they are being adequately enforced. I also believe we need to examine our laws to make sure that we are doing what we can to keep criminals and the mentally unstable from obtaining these weapons in the first place.

However, we must do more than just examine our firearms laws. Our efforts to address these tragedies must include a thorough reevaluation of our nation's system for treating mental illness. Unfortunately, too often mental illness goes undiagnosed and untreated. We must focus on increasing public awareness of the symptoms of mental illness and on improving access to mental health services, with a goal of identifying and treating mental illness earlier on in those it affects. It is my hope that from these tragedies will emerge action that promotes better mental health diagnosis and treatment in the U.S.

I ask that you please keep the families of the victims in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. I invite you to visit my website at Jaime Herrera Beutler | Congresswoman for the 3rd District of Washington for additional information or to sign up to be kept up to date on these issues. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jaime Herrera Beutler
Member of Congress

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads