JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
NO SHORTS rule for boys. So the boys all came to school in skirts.
:s0133:

It's so hot in England, schoolboys are wearing skirts

Amid an intense heat wave, dozens of British schoolboys went to class wearing girls' uniform skirts when the head teacher would not relax a dress code banning the more suitable option: shorts.

The teenage boys at Isca Academy in Exeter argued it was too hot for pants as temperatures approached 90 degrees Wednesday. Dozens of boys, who borrowed uniform skirts from female friends and sisters, planned to go to class Thursday sporting a new look in protest of the school's 'no shorts' policy, <broken link removed> , though, the temperatures Thursday had dropped into the upper 60s, <broken link removed> .

"We're not allowed to wear shorts, and I'm not sitting in trousers all day — it's a bit hot," one of the boys told BBC News.

It does not appear that the boys were punished for donning skirts, but one mother said her son was warned against it.

"My son wanted to wear shorts but was told he would be put in the isolation room for the rest of the week," a mother, who was not named, <broken link removed> about her 14-year-old son. "The head teacher told them 'Well you can wear a skirt if you like' but I think she was being sarcastic. However, children tend to take you literally, and so five boys turned up in skirts today — and because she told them it was okay there was nothing she could do as long as they are school skirts.

"One of the five boys did get in trouble — because it was too short."

Another boy was reportedly told to change because his legs were too hairy, <broken link removed> . So Thursday, some older teens brought razors to fix that problem, according to the news site.

The mother also told Devonlive.com the boys are fighting "injustice."

"Children also don't like injustice," she told the news site. "The boys see the women teachers in sandals and nice cool skirts and tops while they are wearing long trousers and shoes and the older boys have to wear blazers. They just think it's unfair that they can't wear shorts in this heat.

"They are doing this to cool down — but also to protest because they don't feel they have been listened to."

The Isca Academy dress code does not permit shorts, except during physical education lessons.

"We recognize that the last few days have been exceptionally hot and we are doing our utmost to enable both students and staff to remain as comfortable as possible," Isca Academy Headteacher Aimee Mitchell said in a statement on the school's website. The statement noted that students can remove neckties and undo top buttons on shirts, but stated that shorts are not permitted.

Good for them.

French bus drivers also started doing this because the women could wear skirts but they were stuck wearing pants and couldn't have shorts.

In Ye Olden Days English boys would have suffered silently.
Mustn't grumble! But no one has seen a "stiff upper lip" in years.
Still, gotta admire their "in your face" 'tude, I guess.
I'd have been too chicken to try something like that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top