Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

It's so easy to get an assault rifle...what do you mean "NO"?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Qaolin, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

I must admit to a great deal of schadenfreude with this story. Mind you this is from the reporter's perspective but it's clear it wasn't so easy for him. Upshot of the story, if you are going to send a journalist into a gun store to prove how easy it is to purchase an EBR, make sure he doesn't have a history of alcohol abuse and domestic violence.

STEINBERG: Would-be terrorists can buy guns, but a reporter? No. (http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/steinberg-would-be-terrorists-can-buy-guns-but-a-reporter-no/#.V2cmMXiyApU.facebook)

Columnist charged with abuse (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-10-02/news/0510020260_1_chicago-sun-times-domestic-battery-jail)

erudne and etrain16 like this.
  2. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Shoulda known he was a Prohibited Person under the very laws HE supported... "Your BGC was DENIED on NICS because of a MCDV."

3. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Beaverton, OR Active Member

Holy cow, they denied the sale because he fails the background check, and yet that's somehow the stores fault, and that they denied the sale because he was a journalist? And they say WE can't accept blame for anything....

Mikej, Flopsweat and Diamondback like this.
  4. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

What's he grousing about? The system worked the way it is supposed to.
    What a jerk, claiming he is discriminated against because he is a reporter, rather than the real reason: alcholism and domestic violence.

5. Qaolin

My point exactly. Question Authority.

Stomper and etrain16 like this.
  6. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Wait, the article says they asked him for his Firearm Owners ID card (State?).

So he has a FOID card, but can't pass a background check,...
    I smell fish.

7. The Courier

The Courier Newberg, Oregon Well-Known Member

I would deny the "assault rifle" sale immediately just for using that terminology... But thats just me.

GuyBMeredith, Dyjital, erudne and 5 others like this.
  8. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What a tool.
    If he is a member of the Chicago Tribune editorial board you have to wonder about the veracity of that publication when its reporter, in a published article, attempts to refute a known fact with hearsay comprised of a paranoid, unsubstantiated claim.
    The flip side of this, he deliberately was chosen to buy the firearm because the paper KNEW he should be denied. They wanted to test the efficacy of the system. It worked, by golly!

Lump him in with pajama boy -- his shoulder might have been bruised when he shot his AR.

Perhaps, somewhere in their collective noggin's, they will come to realize, the terrorists who can easily buy guns can get around background checks because they are unknown entities, coming from off the grid. Liberals tend to deride the NSA communication analysis center recently installed in Utah, but perhaps it may dawn on them, there's a reason for monitoring communications.

erudne, Ura-Ki, Slobray and 1 other person like this.
  9. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

"They sell tools of death to frightened people" and that's why the douche reporter was denied the sale.

"The Douche of Death". Like English Bob in Unforgiven.

10. transittech

transittech PDX Well-Known Member

Wow. He has so much miss-information there, its hard to know where to start. The last paragraph is particularly over the top though.

Used to be that news was just that, news. How does a fluff piece with 50% miss-information, sensationalism, conjecture and opinion with no sources to back it up get filed in the "news" section??

I'll bet he wonders why newspapers are failing.

AndyinEverson, erudne and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've filled out quite a few 4473's over the years and I don't remember a question about what I did for a living? So how does being a reporter come into this equation.

Dyjital, erudne and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. jackrv

jackrv Wood Village, Oregon Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

From what I read in the article, one of the employees recognized the name and asked him about it.

13. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Same shizzle different day. I stop reading when I get to terms like "Assault Rifle", "Valley of Death", "Nightclub-Clearing 30 Bullets" and such but I ended up reading the whole thing. Makes me feel dirty.........Anybody watch the 60 Minutes story on firearms last night? It was slightly balanced, but still a hack job.

14. BlackRyder

BlackRyder Edmonds Well-Known Member

They've just started asking that question on the form. The other day I filled one out and had to state my occupation.

15. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Just did a 4437 last Thursday and no occupation question...I feel sorry for anyone who puts USPS down, the added level of scrutiny involved with that! :D

Ura-Ki and BlackRyder like this.
  16. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

"When in doubt, lie it out!"

Reporter speak for fair, unbiased, accurate, reporting!:rolleyes:

erudne likes this.
  17. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That has to be satire right?

Sgt Nambu and erudne like this.
  18. Qaolin

Sadly, no.

erudne likes this.
  19. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding that story, what a hoot! :)

Of course there is no room for commenting at the bottom of the story. That's the Ministry of Propaganda for ya...

I immediately discount a source that has no ability for people to comment or correct what the author has written. They are just opinion shapers, not interested in truth.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, as my old Mom used to say.

Sgt Nambu and erudne like this.
  20. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

erudne and Ura-Ki like this.