JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I must admit to a great deal of schadenfreude with this story. Mind you this is from the reporter's perspective but it's clear it wasn't so easy for him. Upshot of the story, if you are going to send a journalist into a gun store to prove how easy it is to purchase an EBR, make sure he doesn't have a history of alcohol abuse and domestic violence.

STEINBERG: Would-be terrorists can buy guns, but a reporter? No. (http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/steinberg-would-be-terrorists-can-buy-guns-but-a-reporter-no/#.V2cmMXiyApU.facebook)

Columnist charged with abuse (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-10-02/news/0510020260_1_chicago-sun-times-domestic-battery-jail)

Holy cow, they denied the sale because he fails the background check, and yet that's somehow the stores fault, and that they denied the sale because he was a journalist? And they say WE can't accept blame for anything....

What's he grousing about? The system worked the way it is supposed to.
What a jerk, claiming he is discriminated against because he is a reporter, rather than the real reason: alcholism and domestic violence.

Wait, the article says they asked him for his Firearm Owners ID card (State?).

He immediately asked for my FOID card — Firearm Owner's Identification Card — no gun purchase without it.

So he has a FOID card, but can't pass a background check,...
I smell fish.

What a tool.
If he is a member of the Chicago Tribune editorial board you have to wonder about the veracity of that publication when its reporter, in a published article, attempts to refute a known fact with hearsay comprised of a paranoid, unsubstantiated claim.
The flip side of this, he deliberately was chosen to buy the firearm because the paper KNEW he should be denied. They wanted to test the efficacy of the system. It worked, by golly!

Lump him in with pajama boy -- his shoulder might have been bruised when he shot his AR.

Perhaps, somewhere in their collective noggin's, they will come to realize, the terrorists who can easily buy guns can get around background checks because they are unknown entities, coming from off the grid. Liberals tend to deride the NSA communication analysis center recently installed in Utah, but perhaps it may dawn on them, there's a reason for monitoring communications.

Wow. He has so much miss-information there, its hard to know where to start. The last paragraph is particularly over the top though.

Used to be that news was just that, news. How does a fluff piece with 50% miss-information, sensationalism, conjecture and opinion with no sources to back it up get filed in the "news" section??

I'll bet he wonders why newspapers are failing.

I've filled out quite a few 4473's over the years and I don't remember a question about what I did for a living? So how does being a reporter come into this equation.

Same shizzle different day. I stop reading when I get to terms like "Assault Rifle", "Valley of Death", "Nightclub-Clearing 30 Bullets" and such but I ended up reading the whole thing. Makes me feel dirty.........Anybody watch the 60 Minutes story on firearms last night? It was slightly balanced, but still a hack job.

I've filled out quite a few 4473's over the years and I don't remember a question about what I did for a living? So how does being a reporter come into this equation.
They've just started asking that question on the form. The other day I filled one out and had to state my occupation.

Thanks for finding that story, what a hoot! :)

Of course there is no room for commenting at the bottom of the story. That's the Ministry of Propaganda for ya...

I immediately discount a source that has no ability for people to comment or correct what the author has written. They are just opinion shapers, not interested in truth.

I'll bet he wonders why newspapers are failing.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, as my old Mom used to say.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews