JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Just went through this with a friend. Fresh rebuild - same symptoms. The end reasons that we never thought of ended up being the issue... Let me explain...

The Death of the Flat Tappet Engine.

Nearly all current cam / lifter manufactures have conglomerated under Chinese supply umbrellas. No matter (nearly) who you use - the lifters (even in Comp Cam packages) are Chinese made. And they are rarely hardened well enough. Its become a huge issue. Combine this with the industry's scapegoat of claiming it's the inadequate zinc in modern oil.

I've read through most of this - even if a new cam - have you watched rocker movement?
Lifters collapse and over extend - cams wipe in a minute.

Last Edited:
Warp,no. These 2 cylinders dropped dead like a switch was thrown. No blown gasket. No white exhaust. No over-heating. no bubbles in the radiator
Just went through this with a friend. Fresh rebuild - same symptoms. The end reasons that we never thought of ended up being the issue... Let me explain...

The Death of the Flat Tappet Engine.

Nearly all current cam / lifter manufactures have conglomerated under Chinese supply umbrellas. No matter (nearly) who you use - the lifters (even in Comp Cam packages) are Chinese made. And they are rarely hardened well enough. Its become a huge issue. Combine this with the industry's scapegoat of claiming it's the inadequate zinc in modern oil.

I've read through most of this - even if a new cam - have you watched rocker movement?
Lifters collapse and over extend - cams wipe in a minute.

If the cam and or lifters are new this guy is dead on correct . The stuff made now claim when asked say they have affiliates all over the globe, which translates to (China made) those cams even if broke in right don't last , and can be toast in 250 miles.sometimes ruining the rest of the engine.

Before pulling the head I dropped the exhaust pipe to see if runs better. I've seen baffles come loose and do strange things. Was not the issue. Valve seats and faces are sealing. Guides good.
I'm ready to sacrifice a goat and hope that fixes this hidden gremlin.
O suggest a cylinder leak test to determine if the rings or lining are out of spec! It's a dynamic diagnostic machine test!

I still think a leakdown test would be helpful. Not just for piston and rings it would also help determine if a gasket, valve, seat, head ect has an unseen problem. Or just toss a ls motor in it ;)

I still think a leakdown test would be helpful.

I know what a leak down test is. Just odd that there are no related issues with gaskets, seats, cracks, etc, being present.
The one thing I did not mention, these two dropped dead at the same time, like a switch was thrown. I was at a stop when it happened.
NO smoke, noise, clatter, lurch, nothing. They were just dead when I started moving. Had driven 15 miles.

Fingers crossed.
Do your torque pattern correctly and do your head gasket sealant (or nothing) per gasket maker's specs.
And this will vary from nothing to aluminum spray paint to High-Tack, etc.
All depends on what type of gasket you have and what the manufacturer says to do.

You start with the CENTER and work OUT in a circular pattern ESPECIALLY on a long head like a straight six.
This is typical.
Your manual will show the exact pattern to follow.

Also some "sandwich" style gaskets (Fel-Pro) require no sealant because it is already on the head gasket. Sometimes it's a blue color.
A shim type gasket sometimes requires aluminum spray paint.
An embossed shim type can require being sprayed with High Tack.

Follow manufacturer's directions for best results.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews