JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this article on Foxnews today. It's about time some of the school boards around this country start to take action against teachers at schools who are failing in their jobs. I find it interesting that the Union is mulling legal action. This could get interesting.

CENTRAL FALLS, Rhode Island — A U.S. school district has voted to fire all the teachers at an underperforming school.

The Providence Journal reports that the Central Falls School Committee voted Tuesday evening to fire every educator at Central Falls High School at the end of the school year.

It's the only school in the tiny, impoverished city north of Providence. Only about half its students graduate, and only 7 percent of 11th-graders, who are around ages 16 to 17, were proficient in math in 2009.

The plan was developed because of a federal effort to makeover failing schools.

The Central Falls Teachers Union says it is reviewing legal options and hasn't decided what action to take.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan applauds the decision and says "when schools continue to struggle we have a collective obligation to take action."

IIRC, the issue came to a head when the superintendent asked teachers to put in a little extra time with the kids. Seems like they were asked to tutor twice a week for 1/2 hour after school, and to have lunch with the kids in the cafeteria occasionally to develop a relationship. The teachers said no and got canned. I guess it was the straw that broke the camel's back?

The current system pays and rewards bad teachers the same as good teachers. There isn't an incentive as there is in some other areas of life.

How about we pay teachers on a commission basis? Pay so much for each student who can get above a certain score, and nothing for those who can't?

:s0114: :s0114: :s0114:

IIRC, the issue came to a head when the superintendent asked teachers to put in a little extra time with the kids. Seems like they were asked to tutor twice a week for 1/2 hour after school, and to have lunch with the kids in the cafeteria occasionally to develop a relationship. The teachers said no and got canned. I guess it was the straw that broke the camel's back?

The current system pays and rewards bad teachers the same as good teachers. There isn't an incentive as there is in some other areas of life.

How about we pay teachers on a commission basis? Pay so much for each student who can get above a certain score, and nothing for those who can't?

:s0114: :s0114: :s0114:

Paying teachers based on performance has been fought by the Ed Unions for years. That's why it's so hard to get rid of a tenured teacher. My son is a teacher in WA and sees it every day. There are people who should NOT be teaching, but you can't get rid of them.

hey coug ! i read the artical this am,and the first thing that came to mind was- YIPPY KY YA . trust me--i have nothing against teachers,but if this is the career you choose to follow,then do it with PRIDE . i have had 28 teen foster kids in the past 10 yrs. there was more times then you can imagine,that i was standing on a teachers desk --letting them know what their degree states--i find that if your going to hang out a SHINGLE--you best better do the upmost to keep that SHINGLE polished !!
steven

Wow! Way to throw all the good teachers in that school under the bus. I don't like how the current system works but what they are doing is wrong.

I went to school to become a teacher. Decided that it was not for me but I married one. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap they deal with. How many of these "under performing" students come from a home with little or no supervision. How many of them show up everyday without a coat or lunch because mommy spent all the money on drugs? Homework, sure that is likely to get done when nobody at home cares.

There are a lot of teachers that should not be employed but the majority of them are doing an impossible job that most of us wouldn't last a week at.

Wow! Way to throw all the good teachers in that school under the bus. I don't like how the current system works but what they are doing is wrong.

I went to school to become a teacher. Decided that it was not for me but I married one. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap they deal with. How many of these "under performing" students come from a home with little or no supervision. How many of them show up everyday without a coat or lunch because mommy spent all the money on drugs? Homework, sure that is likely to get done when nobody at home cares.

There are a lot of teachers that should not be employed but the majority of them are doing an impossible job that most of us wouldn't last a week at.

I have known teachers all of my adult life, and most of them really do a heroic job in the face of an ineffectual administration and an ungrateful public. Nowadays, the school administration system is mostly geared to training kids to pass tests, which keeps the Federal money coming in. Nevermind whether the kids actually learn anything. A bigger problem is that a LOT of students simply do not even care to learn anything. There are no future jobs anyway, so why care? This fraction of kids is only concerned about gangs and drugs and sex, or looking good while showing that they are NOT concerned about education. Their energy is devoted to disrupting education and defying teachers. The administrators would rather fire good teachers than face lawsuits in expelling corrupt students!

Sure, there are some bad teachers. They burn out, and learn not to care. Their early hard efforts are not recognized or appreciated, so they learn to just go along and soak up the paycheck. But on the whole, these defeated teachers are the MINORITY of all of the other hard working educators.

What education needs is not new teachers or administrators, it is new PARENTS. Parents who get involved, go to meetings, visit classes, and shephard their children with their homework. If parents cared then kids would care, good teachers would be inspired, bad teachers would be revealed, and administrators would get out of their offices and deal with things.

So, all this gloom needs a little humor about dealing with bad teachers. It's a true story from Oakland California in the late 1980's. My friend's nephew told him of his lazy high school teacher who was supposed to be teaching freshman English but had converted his class to a "study hall" so he could sleep, with his feet up on his desk while he snored! My friend advised his nephew to stick a lit match in the sleeping teacher's shoe, like in the old cartoons. Well, nobody carries matches anymore, so instead the kids put a big wad of newspapers between the teacher's feet and fired him up with their Bics! Who was he gonna call, ghostbusters? The kids laughed him out of the room and that teacher never returned, trying for some kind of stress-disability retirement, and the kids got a new and effectual teacher who actually cared about them............................elsullo :D

Saw this article on Foxnews today. It's about time some of the school boards around this country start to take action against teachers at schools who are failing in their jobs. I find it interesting that the Union is mulling legal action. This could get interesting.

CENTRAL FALLS, Rhode Island — A U.S. school district has voted to fire all the teachers at an underperforming school.

The Providence Journal reports that the Central Falls School Committee voted Tuesday evening to fire every educator at Central Falls High School at the end of the school year.

It's the only school in the tiny, impoverished city north of Providence. Only about half its students graduate, and only 7 percent of 11th-graders, who are around ages 16 to 17, were proficient in math in 2009.

The plan was developed because of a federal effort to makeover failing schools.

The Central Falls Teachers Union says it is reviewing legal options and hasn't decided what action to take.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan applauds the decision and says "when schools continue to struggle we have a collective obligation to take action."

One article I read about that situation brought up the fact that the little school district was being hammered pretty hard for salaries and pension benefits and could not afford to pay Union scale anymore. Since revenues have been reduced in most areas with tax collections down they have to cut expenses and labor is the big number. I also heard it was not just teachers but union administrators as well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top