JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went out shooting and dragged along our oldest. He's getting into the sport and every trip enjoys it more. I decided to leave the high calibre stuff at home and focused on the 12ga and .22s we've got.

Well it seems that every weapon I own needs some alteration to become 100%. The case in question this time though is my AR-7. The rifle needs to feed a specific ammo, and the mags have to be in juuuuust at the right angle or there are mis-feeds galore.

Ok, store set up done; I had either a double powder load, or weak case, or...something. Ammo was Remington standard velocity, but the case head separated and blew the gases down through the mag and out the mag floor plate...into the palm of my hand. Now I've got this nice little divot carved into my palm with some powder grains speckled around it.

I got rid of all the bulk remmington 22 ammo I had as it was truely crap. It consistantly misfed in my 10/22 and the bullets don't seem to be seated well in the casings, made to shoot around corners I guess. I have had better luck with the federal bulk packs. Glad you are OK!:s0155:

Is the Ar-7 still in one piece? That's what matters, after all!
"Wounds heal, bones knit - and chicks dig scars!"

Seriously, my Henry AR-7 would FTF regularly until I polished out the tiny step at the top edge of the receiver. A little emery cloth is all it took, and now it works like a champ. (except with one mag, which I ditched)

I got rid of all the bulk remmington 22 ammo I had as it was truely crap. It consistantly misfed in my 10/22 and the bullets don't seem to be seated well in the casings, made to shoot around corners I guess. I have had better luck with the federal bulk packs. Glad you are OK!:s0155:

I had the same problem but it only happened with the 25 rd Butler Creek magazines. The factory 10 rd mag was a lot more reliable with various types of ammo. I wound up getting rid of the 10/22 altogether and going with a Savage bolt-action, its a lot more accurate (due to the accu-trigger) and 100% reliable with any sort of ammo.

i'v had a marlin 60 for quite a few years,and i'v had the thunderbolt explode in my chamber--thought it was a fluke--then it happened again in about 40 more rnds--gave the stuff away--one thing i did notice about the thunderbolt is--it's inconsistant-! pop,bang poof,ping tink--i loaded the tube maybe ten times,and never heard the same shot noise in the 12 shots--i'v run everything there is down the tube of this gun and never had this happen--it was on sale at bi-mart--i usually run cci or federal,and thats what i'm sticken with

My problems were mostly with the butler creek mags as well. I've heard good things about the savages, been thinking about the 17 hmr w/accutrigger and bull barrel.

+1 +1 +1 to all of the above. My 10/22 works flawlessly with the factory 10 round mags... the 25 round plastic ones though... no way.

And my Savage .17 HMR is dead accurate. :D

Well It does look like the ammo is pretty low quality. My AR-7 barrel has a slight feed ramp to help with the inconsistent loading problem of the rifle. The thunderbolt's plastic/laquer/candlewax/whatever coating on the bullet was a boon because they just slipped up the ramp like skates on ice...but the cases mostly show abnormal expansion. That's not the case with the 4 other brands of ammo I run through it.

And I bought a whole case of that crap? Dayum!

I had a case head separation out of a 10-22. Took the rifle to the local gunsmith after it happened to have the gun checked out. Turns out the rifle would fire while still slightly out of battery and that was most likely the culprit of the case head separation. Might want to have a gunsmith check your rifle to see if that could be what happened. Better safe than sorry a second time.

I had a case head separation out of a 10-22. Took the rifle to the local gunsmith after it happened to have the gun checked out. Turns out the rifle would fire while still slightly out of battery and that was most likely the culprit of the case head separation. Might want to have a gunsmith check your rifle to see if that could be what happened. Better safe than sorry a second time.

I'm actually going to be replacing the springs. This is a second run production model of the rifle and I doubt it's been cared for really. The PO had it sitting in his closet for a decade, but before that I have no idea of its history.

I'll be rotating new ammo through to see what feeds and fires reliably...and I won't hold the floorplate of the mag any more. uh uh.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top