Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Italian Wool Blankets WWII era--Want one?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by treemanx, Oct 22, 2009.

1. treemanx

treemanx Spray, Or. Active Member

If they only had a few, I probably wouldnt say anything because I'm probably going to go back and buy a few more soon. But they have a pile of them, so I figured I'd share!

I looked for these for like 6 or 8 months locally, and found the only place to get them was online for way too much money.

Army Surplus Store called Sgt. Gators in Boring, off of 282nd Ave.. Italian Wool Blankets WWII era in EXCELLENT as new condition--$19.99 each. They have a huge bin full of them!

2. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Curious, do you have pics and dimensions for those too lazy to Google?:D

3. treemanx

No prob Andrew, I'll post that stuff momentarily!

4. treemanx

Italian Wool Blaket (Military Stock). Large 60"x88" very warm.

5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Cheaper than Dirt also sells these. They are excellent blankets & a great price.

ZWN-325.jpg

6. treemanx

Now, I am pretty certain the dimensions are correct here. The one I bought the other day looks exactly like the one in this pic, which I pulled off a different website along with the dimensions. It is a large blanket, the size sounds spot on to me.

Link

7. treemanx

Way better pic, thanks Sun!

8. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Thanks Tree!

I need to get over there to get a couple.

Wish I had more time:(

9. treemanx

I was surprised at the quality of them. Not only are the ones the Surplus Store has in awesome condition, but the overall quality of the wool and the blanket in general is very high. I have three or four yellow British military wool/polypropeline blankets, and they are garbage in comparison. The only issue is just the smell of stored surplus blankets, but its fixed easily by hanging in the sun for a few hours with a little Fabreeze.

10. Sun195

Yeah - the quality of these is outstanding for the price. Maybe a bit coarser than a typical GI blanket, but hasn't been a big deal for me. Everyone should have at least one for their car/boat/survival-cache/whatever.

Mine did come with a bunch of mothball-flakes on it. It's my understanding that you can simply hang these up outside & the flakes will evaporate. I tried washing mine out - dumb mistake on my part.

11. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

THEY SOUND ITCHY you know the whole wool itchy sweater thing

12. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

MAN! How come the best deals have to be so far out?

13. nixuser

nixuser nw Member

i bought some wool blankets from surplus in boring i love them cant beat wool when the power is out for days or weeks they are good

14. Sun195

They're really not that bad & I don't like wool that much. They do preform well & last a long time. They're a cheap insurance policy on staying warm.

You can buy them from Cheaper than Dirt for about the same price as you'd pay at the local store (plus shipping - which may be cheaper than driving a long way given gas prices).

15. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

As a kilt wearing Scotsman I can tell you that good wool is never itchy. Sure you smell like a dog when you get wet, but I doubt I could trust any other garment to keep my jubblies warm in the middle of winter with naught under it but a pair of socks.

And there is your daily TMI moment!

16. Redrum

Redrum Portlandia Active Member

Andy and Bax has the same blankets..little more money tho..they also have them in different colors

For those of you who dont want to drive out to Boring

17. injun51

injun51 ON THE FRINGE New Member

I was planning on getting some more of these but they sold out before i could get out there again---------now i know why. You went and told everyone in the state. LOL (JK) I was extremly bummed when i went back and they were gone. These were in excellent condition. Price was great too. Hopefully they'll get more in sometime soon. You will not find a better blanket for the price. Heavy smell of mothballs, but 2 washings and let it hang for a week or 2 will get rid of that smell for the most part. If you want it to smell nice, before you fold up and put away take some dryer sheets and place in between folds. Blanket will absorb sweet smell, and this will also keep insects from trying to get at them as bugs dont like "BOUNCE" dryer sheets. Why,? i have no idea, i just know it works. Try it. I also use "BOUNCE" dryer sheets in my tent trailer to keep out pests and make the trailer smell dryer fresh. :thumbup:

18. Randini

Randini Salem Member

I just ordered some from here
    http://theepicenter.com/
    they were under Military surplus
    $17.95 with shipping it came to $20.20
    I got three on the way.

19. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

Wow, someone must have snatched them up. I looked at them close on Saturday, but already have a few that I have picked up in my travels.

20. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Those are really nice blankets but I gave up on wool several years ago. Back in the day we used to buy surplus GI wool pants for hunting and they were warm.

Then I got to riding motorcycles and quickly learned how a cold 70 mph wind can cut through wool, and how it isn't waterproof.

Now I'm all about synthetics which are warm, waterproof and lighter weight. They also dry fast because the water is just on the surface.

I start looking at ski and snowmobile outfitters for my gloves, coats, insulated over-pants, face masks etc. They are so much warmer and waterproof than leather or wool.

If I were dressed for riding in the cold, I could cut and toss some conifer boughs on the ground for insulation and just lay down and sleep in a very lightweight one-man tent.

We've come a long way, baby!

$.02