Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

It sucks when you can't shoot your new rifle!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Otter, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I picked up a Cooper model 21 chambered in 20 VarTarg on Friday. Mounted a 5-20X Nikon Monarch scope the same day. Problem is, I can't shoot it yet. Beings it is a wildcat caliber, I can't run down to the local Bi-Mart or Sportsman Warehouse to pick up ammo. I have everything I need to reload some ammo except powder. H4198 and Reloader 7 is the powders of choice, but so far I have found neither of them in stock anywhere. Guess I can sit around looking at it until I find some. Pretty pouty about it.

20VT_compressed2.JPG

2. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

3. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

Try the next gunshow. I know I saw those two powders at the Expo center last weekend. You'll probably pay a little more but if you need it, you pay it.

4. Otter

IMR4198 isn't quite the same as Hodgdon 4198. Will have to hit up a few gun shows...didn't really cross my mind as the last few gun shows I've been to had little or no powder.

5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A member here had some Reloader 7 for sale awhile back. I bought 4 lbs from him.
    He goes by JohnH and I will PM you with more info.

6. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Let this be a lesson to you, stock up before you get new cal, and rifle.. Be prepared..:paranoid:

7. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I bought 2,000 rd of 7.62X39 before I ordered my SIG556R, got the rifle in and home, then ordered another 1,000 rds. that came in last week. And I still haven't shot it!

On edit: ordered another 1,000 rds on 3/2 and I STILL haven't shot it

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    Defender of Freedom Award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  8. Otter

Thanks Mom.

9. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

H335 will work, but it is a bit dirtier. Gary

10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Awwww, at least it's a nice looking rifle! You can put it on the mantel until the new wears off!

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Heck, you can use it on your desk to hold down papers, or to prop the front door open on a windy day, or... ;)

Nice kit, be sure to post up a range report WHEN you get some ammo!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I just want to see you duplicate the factory target when you do shoot it

13. Otter

4 lbs of H4198 arriving this week. If the weather is decent I will fire form some brass this weekend. Resizing the 221 Fireball was a breeze. Turned the necks down about .001. It was Norma brass and was very uniform to begin with, however it was a little thick. As it stands now I have minimal neck clearance.

I'm betting I can duplicate the test target. According to Cooper they shoot their test targets at a greater distance then they used to. They moved to a new facility with a longer test tunnel, but he wouldn't tell me how long it is. You will notice if you compare recent test targets with those of old, the test groups are larger.

14. mjbskwim

I dunno,I saw a 308 come thru a store with a .45 hole.Barely see the cloverleaf
    Seems pretty good to me...........well,OK for $3k

15. Otter

Did you notice the date on the target? It was about 18 months ago I noticed the test targets getting bigger. I've seen what you describe though, even on a few of their newest rifles. They don't tune a load for each rifle either. They have settled on what has worked the best with most rifles in that caliber. I'm sure tuning the powder charge and seating depth will yield at least slightly better groups in most cases.

16. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Well I got a little overzealous when I was younger and got my first AR and thought of the great idea to just crack off a couple rounds one night on BLM land in central OR about 10 years ago.
    Problem was there was a wild fire a couple days earlier and APPARENTLY there was still forest fire fighters in the woods sleeping. I cranked down a mag into a target I threw out and all hell broke loose. We heard radios crackling off around us and we boogied out real quick not knowing what was going on. As we were heading out a forest service truck came the opposite way at mach speed through a really rough road.
    We took the long way home that night and parked in the garage.

I wasn't too worried about hurting anyone. It's a place I used to shoot all the time and was at the base of a ridge. But I'm sure someone had to change their pants that night.

17. 1990Turbo

1990Turbo St.Helens Active Member

Are you sure you posted in the correct thread? :bluelaugh:

18. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Moral of the story , sometimes it's good to wait for the right time.

19. mjbskwim

I was told that the barreled action was shot from a vice,but I'm sure they bed the action pretty nice in the stock.I didn't see a date but the gun came thru about 2 months ago.
    Do they give you what bullet they used? Can't remember if it was on the target. Yeah find that out and tweek the powder a little.
    Wonder if they go through the process of seating the bullet to the perfect depth? Heck those 2 things might just make you better than factory!

20. Otter

So I've heard Cooper test fires their rifles after the are put in the stock. That came from Internet sources, not Cooper. I've heard that the Wby Vanguards that used to come with a test target were shot as a barreled action out of a vice though. I have no proof on either.

The Cooper targets do indicate the bullet and powder used. In this case it was a 32 grain V-max bullet with H335, which is actually a little slower powder than optimum for the caliber and bullet weight. Berger offers a 35 grain bullet that I've heard will give better accuracy. No indication about seating depth. Accurate shooter, or maybe Saubier, has a post where they got the powder charges for all calibers Cooper offers.