JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a Cooper model 21 chambered in 20 VarTarg on Friday. Mounted a 5-20X Nikon Monarch scope the same day. Problem is, I can't shoot it yet. Beings it is a wildcat caliber, I can't run down to the local Bi-Mart or Sportsman Warehouse to pick up ammo. I have everything I need to reload some ammo except powder. H4198 and Reloader 7 is the powders of choice, but so far I have found neither of them in stock anywhere. Guess I can sit around looking at it until I find some. Pretty pouty about it.

20VT_compressed2.JPG

Try the next gunshow. I know I saw those two powders at the Expo center last weekend. You'll probably pay a little more but if you need it, you pay it.

IMR4198 isn't quite the same as Hodgdon 4198. Will have to hit up a few gun shows...didn't really cross my mind as the last few gun shows I've been to had little or no powder.

A member here had some Reloader 7 for sale awhile back. I bought 4 lbs from him.
He goes by JohnH and I will PM you with more info.

Let this be a lesson to you, stock up before you get new cal, and rifle.. Be prepared..:s0131:

I bought 2,000 rd of 7.62X39 before I ordered my SIG556R, got the rifle in and home, then ordered another 1,000 rds. that came in last week. And I still haven't shot it!

On edit: ordered another 1,000 rds on 3/2 and I STILL haven't shot it

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Last Edited:
4 lbs of H4198 arriving this week. If the weather is decent I will fire form some brass this weekend. Resizing the 221 Fireball was a breeze. Turned the necks down about .001. It was Norma brass and was very uniform to begin with, however it was a little thick. As it stands now I have minimal neck clearance.

I'm betting I can duplicate the test target. According to Cooper they shoot their test targets at a greater distance then they used to. They moved to a new facility with a longer test tunnel, but he wouldn't tell me how long it is. You will notice if you compare recent test targets with those of old, the test groups are larger.

Did you notice the date on the target? It was about 18 months ago I noticed the test targets getting bigger. I've seen what you describe though, even on a few of their newest rifles. They don't tune a load for each rifle either. They have settled on what has worked the best with most rifles in that caliber. I'm sure tuning the powder charge and seating depth will yield at least slightly better groups in most cases.

Well I got a little overzealous when I was younger and got my first AR and thought of the great idea to just crack off a couple rounds one night on BLM land in central OR about 10 years ago.
Problem was there was a wild fire a couple days earlier and APPARENTLY there was still forest fire fighters in the woods sleeping. I cranked down a mag into a target I threw out and all hell broke loose. We heard radios crackling off around us and we boogied out real quick not knowing what was going on. As we were heading out a forest service truck came the opposite way at mach speed through a really rough road.
We took the long way home that night and parked in the garage.

I wasn't too worried about hurting anyone. It's a place I used to shoot all the time and was at the base of a ridge. But I'm sure someone had to change their pants that night.

Well I got a little overzealous when I was younger and got my first AR and thought of the great idea to just crack off a couple rounds one night on BLM land in central OR about 10 years ago.
Problem was there was a wild fire a couple days earlier and APPARENTLY there was still forest fire fighters in the woods sleeping. I cranked down a mag into a target I threw out and all hell broke loose. We heard radios crackling off around us and we boogied out real quick not knowing what was going on. As we were heading out a forest service truck came the opposite way at mach speed through a really rough road.
We took the long way home that night and parked in the garage.

I wasn't too worried about hurting anyone. It's a place I used to shoot all the time and was at the base of a ridge. But I'm sure someone had to change their pants that night.
Are you sure you posted in the correct thread? :s0112:

I was told that the barreled action was shot from a vice,but I'm sure they bed the action pretty nice in the stock.I didn't see a date but the gun came thru about 2 months ago.
Do they give you what bullet they used? Can't remember if it was on the target. Yeah find that out and tweek the powder a little.
Wonder if they go through the process of seating the bullet to the perfect depth? Heck those 2 things might just make you better than factory!

So I've heard Cooper test fires their rifles after the are put in the stock. That came from Internet sources, not Cooper. I've heard that the Wby Vanguards that used to come with a test target were shot as a barreled action out of a vice though. I have no proof on either.

The Cooper targets do indicate the bullet and powder used. In this case it was a 32 grain V-max bullet with H335, which is actually a little slower powder than optimum for the caliber and bullet weight. Berger offers a 35 grain bullet that I've heard will give better accuracy. No indication about seating depth. Accurate shooter, or maybe Saubier, has a post where they got the powder charges for all calibers Cooper offers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top