JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will have an AOM 130 by the end of next month. Once upon a time, I owned a Universal M1 .30 Carbine. It shot well, but I sold it after my fourth wife died. I wanted to buy a James River Armory "Rockola" Carbine but am settling for an Auto Ordnance for now. (I didn't have the extra $600, and want the rifle before the November elections).

I've already ordered four USA made 30 round magazines from www.keepshooting.com and plan on installing an M2 magazine catch before I shoot the rifle. (I'm already familiar with the "reliability issues" with the Auto Ordnance Carbines). Installing a rotary safety lever is also in the future.

The way I see it, I can "polish the 'rough edges'" from the A/O Carbine before taking it out to the range. After that, about 150-200 rounds later, should have "scoured out" the rest of the problems.

While I agree that the cast receiver may not have the longevity of the milled unit, the A/O should shoot well and serve my PD/HD short range needs reasonably well.

Does anyone else have any information that will help me with my new rifle?

Yes I have shot many US GI carbines over the years and from the bench a 2.5" group at 50 yards is about it.

I have had good luck with a load I developed that uses a Sierra 125gr HPFP slug designed for a tube magazine 30-30. Makes for a more effective hunting or defensive round and gives up very little velocity. I will not give out actual load data due to the variation in carbine construction and quality. What is safe in my 1944 Inland might not be safe in a cast receiver Universal or Iver Johnson.

But if you reload you might look into it there is a little info on line if you search hard enough.

The only problem I had with a modern reproduction was a very rough bore, on a Universal. A quick polish and it was perfectly reliable.
While not a big fan, got to admit that they're easy and fun to shoot! Good luck and enjoy your new carbine, come September!:)

Do they shoot flat enough to be effective at 100 yards? Shot placement and penetration are key in this regard. While I'm not concerned about penetration, a "rainbow trajectory" is not too assuring. Accuracy is key.

Here is a good reference of how bullets travel. optics_1.png

Having been experienced in ballistics for a number of years, I understand how it works. I was simply curious how the extra 15 grains affected the bullet's trajectory? Velocity and penetration are also called into question.

I am not doubting that it works. I do wonder about it's impact on terminal ballistics.

I'm getting about 1850-1900 fps out of the 125gr loads so all you have to do is look at a ballistics chart for that bullet to see its path. The bullets Ballistic coefficient is .153 at the speeds its traveling in my loads

with a 100 yard 0 your looking at .4" high at 75 yards and 2" low at 125yards with an engery of 593ftlbs at 100

Thank you, Mark That sounds as if it is a long bullet for the Carbine. Retaining the energy of a .357 Remington Magnum, makes this a viable load for deer at 75 yards. (I wouldn't want to be a Coyote at that range, either)! The additional penetration is what would make it perform well against the larger members of the rodentia family.

Have you ever used it for harvesting deer?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top