JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At least you're assured of making $15.00 and hour!:s0115:

Even better, the spousal unit CAN get unemployment because we moved there for MY job if it happens. Crazy liberals! Actually, she's pretty skilled so should be able to find a job fairly quickly.

Likely we would be getting a decent house plus 5-10 acres for about $200K. A ton of stuff in foreclosure so it's a buyers market.

Brutus Out

If I buy one there a BGC obviously, the reg. form looks like they will search the serial numbers of all I take. Most of my guns were bought or gifts from friends/relatives (I have less than all my fingers and toes, total collection) 15 to 25 years ago before all the bubble gum started. I trusted the sellers (acquaintances and relatives) at the time but also am not keen that one might pop up with questionable provenance. Is there a database out there to check old serial numbers? I mean I got a couple that are over 60 years old. No NFA items, either. I have a clean record and want to keep it that way.

Brutus Out

I was speaking of having them stored for you.

Just ridiculous

I wonder if that would be a good business. Have a firearm storage system in a good state. get an FFL, have people ship you their firearms for long term storage while they live in a crap state or go out of country for a while. sell off the firearms when they dont pay

I could have sworn I saw something like that 2-3 years ago.
Some kind of dedicated firearms storage.
That's what I was talking about . They have those "around" California now

I would think friend or family would not be taking actual legal possession if you put the guns in a safe on their property that they do not have the combination or key to.

Of course, you should consult an attorney on the matter.

At one point early in my current career - about 30 years ago - I was faced with that choice and was actually in Calif. interviewing for jobs because there were none here in Oregon for me. Fortunately, at the last possible moment, an employer in Seattle hired me over the phone, sight unseen, and I took them up on it. The rest is history and I never had to move to Calif., and I never will.

I "escaped" Cali in 2012. I was a lifelong resident. Meant to move to Northern NV. I actually lived and worked in/around Carson City for a year, then got a call from a friend for a really good gig with a large pay increase in Western Oregon so here I am.

From a 2A standpoint, Cali's a nightmare. I still have friends there. As others have pointed out, bullet buttons and 10 round mags for AR's. NO AK's. I actually bought a Mini 30 while in CA, but traded it off after I left.

Check out the "CA DOJ Approved list of handguns". You can ONLY purchase guns on this list which is updated annually. CA DOJ "tests" firearms before they add them to this list, so you often can't buy guns that are available everywhere else. I believe I read that Smith & Wesson will stop doing any business in CA.

Also, 10 day waiting period is mandatory for ALL gun purchases.

Also - CCW/CHL are good ONLY in the County in which they are issued. So if you have a Sheriff that is 2A friendly, and actually issues you a permit - you still can't legally leave your County with a concealed weapon.

Oh - and you are required to have a CA DOJ approved "locking container" in your home - there's a list for that too.

If you're moving to a rural county and have out buildings, you'll likely be assessed an annual $150 per structure fire fighting fee.

Best of luck with the new gig - but I won't be heading back any time soon.

I "escaped" Cali in 2012. I was a lifelong resident. Meant to move to Northern NV. I actually lived and worked in/around Carson City for a year, then got a call from a friend for a really good gig with a large pay increase in Western Oregon so here I am.

From a 2A standpoint, Cali's a nightmare. I still have friends there. As others have pointed out, bullet buttons and 10 round mags for AR's. NO AK's. I actually bought a Mini 30 while in CA, but traded it off after I left.

Check out the "CA DOJ Approved list of handguns". You can ONLY purchase guns on this list which is updated annually. CA DOJ "tests" firearms before they add them to this list, so you often can't buy guns that are available everywhere else. I believe I read that Smith & Wesson will stop doing any business in CA.

Also, 10 day waiting period is mandatory for ALL gun purchases.

Also - CCW/CHL are good ONLY in the County in which they are issued. So if you have a Sheriff that is 2A friendly, and actually issues you a permit - you still can't legally leave your County with a concealed weapon.

Oh - and you are required to have a CA DOJ approved "locking container" in your home - there's a list for that too.

If you're moving to a rural county and have out buildings, you'll likely be assessed an annual $150 per structure fire fighting fee.

Best of luck with the new gig - but I won't be heading back any time soon.

Thanks, good stuff to know, particularly on the CCW permit.

Brutus Out

If you decide to move down to California, I've got an original dedicated California special 10 rd Bushmaster mag that I will give to you as a moving away gift.
If can't be taken apart, so that right there tells you what you're getting into.

Moving away gift, or consolation prize? o_O

I love my wife and extended family... but not that much.

I would do anything for love.... but I won't do that. -Meatloaf

BTW, that "border" I mean is the CANADIAN one... :(

If I was given the deeds to Hell and California, and told I had to live in one or the other, California would be my rental property.

Hey I get it, believe me, I detest Cali....I lived there in the 80s.....but I figure I can hang for several years and pad the retirement make the wife very happy to be with her folks , then it's off to the 2A paradise of Idaho.

Brutus Out

Moving away gift, or consolation prize? o_O

I love my wife and extended family... but not that much.

I would do anything for love.... but I won't do that. -Meatloaf
I won't even go see my son or grandson. They can come up here where the air is clean,the people friendly and all the guns you could ever want.
But they,well his wife,doesn't understand how I can hate it that much.(they're in LA county though)
**o_O How can you come to a nice quiet place like this and go back to the MILLIONS of people and think it's just fine?:eek:**
She said it is easier for me to visit. I said OK when you visit your relatives up by Yosemite,I'll come meet you in Reno,lol
Only things I left in CA my son sold;)
Really,if you stay away from SoCal and can live with the gun laws,there are some beautiful places in Cally. Keep away from socal and it's a completely different world
Like Shasta area. I was having problems at the gas station. Getting pissed real fast.About 90 out
A local says 'Hey man we're just up here drinkin' beer and smoken pot by the river'. Helped a little but I was headed south at that time.

What ever happened to the microstamping law they passed?

Good luck to you Brutus, that a hard decision. And for the family and money it may be worth some torment for a few years.

When my wife and I got married I moved to Kentucky for her so we could be close to her family.
I thought I would like it, but ended up hating it.

More so because we couldn't find work and the weather was aweful.

So we moved back after a year. Was easy when they offered both of us our jobs back with raises.

And almost getting swept up in a tornado.

I wish you the best of luck.

I moved to OR for my wife's work. I know what it is like to move to a more liberal state from a less liberal state, originally born/raised in Reno. Reno was about right, close enough to know better yet enjoy some of it, but just far enough away to be ok in terms of firearms ownership. Not that Vegas has deteriorated the way NV is these days. However I still would say NV is better than OR in terms of overall political views leaning left.

California is a beautiful state. So if you do your due diligence and try not to think about the lack of lubrication, I would say, try to enjoy it!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top