JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is essentially what I'm getting at, you stating it a bit more eloquently than I did.

You're talking semantics, that's all. You wish it to not be CALLED gouging, so we'll call it profiteering instead? Make you feel better? Because while it may seem like "gouging" to some people, that isn't the correct word, right? That's what you're bubbleguming about? So, call it what it is, dishonesty, bubblegumism, prickish, stupid. It seems like gouging because a small part of the population that has these items people want/feel they need are taking advantage of the temporary spike in order to make more money than they would have, say, 6 weeks ago. But, since it isn't a matter of things that people ACTUALLY need, food/water, it CAN'T be considered "gouging". Purely semantics. But, I will say, most of the posts defending the falsely inflated cost of these particular arms and ammo, seem to be more convincing themselves that what they are doing ISN'T morally reprehensible.

So, everyone STOP calling it gouging, as that is the incorrect term. Call them pricks or whatever, just not gougers. Now Russ can get off his soapbox and we can move along.

Ok, we won't call them gougers, does successive business men sound better? or how about smart investors? How about the ones that aren't broke?

Good thing we don't live in a country where that is allowed, I mean can you imagine a country where you could buy and sell things at will for whatever you wanted? Capitalist notions like that should be regulated by the government to keep people from ripping others off. There should be some legislation started to limit the amount of profit you can make on any business transaction. I mean its for the good of the people, think of the children. Wait, a second I think there has been something like that before, didn't start with a social or commu?

Not that I don't think this country is headed that way.

I find it interesting in a forum such as this, one that I would assume the membership takes pride in the true form of liberty, we would spend so much time talking about "gouging", "profiteering", beeing "prickish", etc. We all have the freedom to ask any price for any good we have regardless of the market, along with the freedom to determine how much of OUR money we wish to depart ourselves from.

We also have the freedom to express our points of view which many do in the forums. The exchange of ideas different from our own add to the value of our community. However, it is sad that some find it an appropriate use of that freedom to side line the FORUM RULES of thread crapping because they feel they are on some moral high ground. It is ironic we tolerate the breaking of a community rule to "bully" someone who has a right to ask any price.

Instead of using the ignore feature on those that may be asking more than what I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY, I might just use it on all the thread crappers.

I find it interesting in a forum such as this, one that I would assume the membership takes pride in the true form of liberty, we would spend so much time talking about "gouging", "profiteering", beeing "prickish", etc. We all have the freedom to ask any price for any good we have regardless of the market, along with the freedom to determine how much of OUR money we wish to depart ourselves from.

We also have the freedom to express our points of view which many do in the forums. The exchange of ideas different from our own add to the value of our community. However, it is sad that some find it an appropriate use of that freedom to side line the FORUM RULES of thread crapping because they feel they are on some moral high ground. It is ironic we tolerate the breaking of a community rule to "bully" someone who has a right to ask any price.

Instead of using the ignore feature on those that may be asking more than what I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY, I might just use it on all the thread crappers.

Nice of you to finally make a post that isn't in the classified section. Member since 2010, 13 posts, 12 in the classified section. Maybe you should hang around for a while before you start critiquing the members here...

Just saying...

Prices are high and its true if you don't want to pay the markets prices then don't, but its america and everyone is about making a quick dollar. Local shops have increased their prices to make money while the market doesn't have enough supply. The people to blame on the prices are the people willing to pay what a business wants to sell an item for. If $ 900.00 is the msrp (manufactures suggested retail price) then pay that and if your thinking you can't live without it and want to pay $2800.00 for it good for that seller. Only consequences are that if the market goes back to normal people might just not go them again. Complaining isn't going to change the persons mind on their price. How about using that time complaining about prices you make sure to inform your friends and family that the crazy gun laws are not going to protect law-abiding citizens and prevent crime.

I think gouging or profiteering is more of an opinion thing than something you can define and measure.
My own feelings on the matter:
I don't automatically begrudge someone for making a profit.
If you are selling stuff you already owned before the panic then I don't care what price you ask for it.
If you aren't in the business and yet you go out and buy a shelf full of stuff for the sole purpose of reselling it at a huge mark-up in a panic buying climate then I think you're kind of an A-Hole.
If you show up on this forum and your very first post is hawking stuff in the classifieds at a huge mark-up then I think you're kind of an A-Hole.

These are just my gut feelings about it, I don't claim to support them with reasoned argument so spare me the lectures on what you think "capitalism" is. Guess I just try to value people more than dollars, sometimes I succeed at this.

Nice of you to finally make a post that isn't in the classified section. Member since 2010, 13 posts, 12 in the classified section. Maybe you should hang around for a while before you start critiquing the members here...

Just saying...

When and where I post is irrelevent to the conversation. I guess I missed the part about my use of the site and the requirements of when acceptable times are to post a comment. Still, I try to follow the rules....the facts remain

Am I flaming the folks who are in this area discussing, no. Just trying to get my posts up so MountainBear takes me a little more seriously. :)

When and where I post is irrelevent to the conversation. I guess I missed the part about my use of the site and the requirements of when acceptable times are to post a comment. Still, I try to follow the rules....the facts remain

Am I flaming the folks who are in this area discussing, no. Just trying to get my posts up so MountainBear takes me a little more seriously. :)

Agree or disagree with you, if you continue to actually take part in discussions, I think people will give your posts more credence. :)

I would like to see anyone of those who complain about gouging Post a $100 part on gun broker and when someone offers them $300 turn around and say no you have to pay $100 because thats all its worth.

Don't get me wrong i shake my head when i read some of the prices that are just silly and way out there just guys goofing around or smoking rope they need to stop it . But it is what it is.

I would like to see anyone of those who complain about gouging Post a $100 part on gun broker and when someone offers them $300 turn around and say no you have to pay $100 because thats all its worth.

Don't get me wrong i shake my head when i read some of the prices that are just silly and way out there just guys goofing around or smoking rope they need to stop it . But it is what it is.

I cap my auctions on Gunbroker with Buy It Now prices, so...

I just know who to screw when this is over.... I wonder how many new members in the last 2 months?

Plus it is gouging..... No matter what.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, but you new members clearly come off as gougers.
I see you all pop on here as soon as you saw $$ signs with the panic.
Then you all flood these sites and sell your junk for 3 times what it costs and yammer on about how
"If you don't like the price just move on".."This is America, and this is the free market".. and with those things being said, it is then our right to call you new folks out on that, because yes this is a free market and a (for now) free country so we can at the very least give you a hard time. Not too rough, because we know you new guys are sensitive.. but enough to let you know we can see right through your "flipping" attempts to make money during this crisis.

Now I'm not saying sell things for less than you purchased them for, however..when you go and double the price on things then its just ridiculous. Just like with CTD and other scummy retailers, we'll make a note of who was and wasn't a decent person through the panic/crisis and I wouldn't be surprised if you all don't sell much after this all blows over. Also note NWFA does have a trade rating, if you aren't a stand up person.. it'll show. And with some of your guys' gouger prices it already does.

Honestly.. I just wouldn't feel right taking that extra money. If I purchased something or traded for something and I was selling for pretty much what I had into it.. I just couldn't take the extra cash. I would WANT to..and I'd kick myself for not taking it.. but it wouldn't be right.

Even with my own business, I could easily overcharge for jobs and MOST would pay a higher price. Heck I've even been offered tips + the cost of the job but I turn it down.. Also, if I feel like I didn't put that much work into the job or if the job was a lot easier than what I quoted it for I'll give them the right price that reflected the job and the price I thought it was worth. Granted, we usually go in with our best price right off the bat.
Its how good honest businesses should be run, and our positive reviews and client base reflect that. However, if our price is too high depending on the job or if there is a job we simply cannot do we refer them to the next best business, again..that's how a decent business and man worth his weight in salt should act. I feel it would be wrong to do otherwise.

Since so many of you are opposed to charging market prices...

I'd love to buy 2,000 rounds of 223 from you for $60. This works out to about $.03 (exactly) per round which is what I think is the cost that big time manufacturers have into it. So those of you not wanting to gouge, I'd kindly take that extra ammo from you.

I do find it interesting that most of the extreme prices being asked for AR's and such are by new, and by that I mean those with just one or a few posts who are new members here that are fishing to see which one of the suckers will bite. I think MOST of us were cognizant that this knee jerk panic buying wave would happen. To those that weren't, do you have your eyes and ears open yet?

There is going to be a lot of them put into the corner and never shot, or sold at a loss when it comes time to pay the credit card bill. I wonder how much stuff ends up in pawn shops where they only get about 25% of what they paid for it.

There is going to be a lot of them put into the corner and never shot, or sold at a loss when it comes time to pay the credit card bill. I wonder how much stuff ends up in pawn shops where they only get about 25% of what they paid for it.

So if an AWB is passed, you really think that supply is all of a sudden going to outpace demand for things that you won't be able to buy? You really thing manufacturers will invest into more output for something that may be banned?

Actually a lot of classifieds sound like price gouging

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits

If it's a auction then it doesn't classify as gouging since people dictate the price.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top