JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is the pit on the L-1500 road about mile 1.25 or so, just before the L-1510 intersection.

It's the same one in my other post today about tearing down the skylined target.

45.7183869,-122.3175296

This is the pit on the L-1500 road about mile 1.25 or so, just before the L-1510 intersection.

It's the same one in my other post today about tearing down the skylined target.

45.7183869,-122.3175296
Yes, I know it well. We do a cleanup or two there each year, however this year we only did one in the Burn in which the Arrowhead Pit was included.

I'm not thrilled about the large rocks they dumped in along the far West side. Looks like they were trying to build up the berm higher, however, I saw targets being placed in-between and in front of the rocks causing potential for ricochet. They should have covered those rocks with at least 2 feet deep of fine gravel to stop bullets, not deflect them.

Also, without an established, well defined, firing line, people are setting up their firing lines all over the place. Some close to the berms and others setting up back at the boulders by the road. They're shooting to the left and right, cross ways and who knows! This place is a real concern when you have several people trying to shoot at the same time.

So is the pit I'm talking about the Arrowhead Pit? Just making sure.

Regarding your last post:

Agreed, on both counts.

Before the big rocks it was pretty loose gravel, dirt, and I didn't see a problem shooting pistol in that direction … if your targets were at the base of the berm. You could hand throw clay targets that direction too … and it worked well. Now with the large rocks as they are you really can't shoot with safety in that direction.

I've packed up and left more than once when you get folks who just want to shoot in any direction. Most of the time I'll walk over to the new shooters and discuss firing direction and we can all get along … but not always.

Today we had the pit to ourselves, so we could shoot diagonally along the long axis and get a safe 75 yards which was perfect, as I wanted to tweak my daughters SKS sights to 75 yards so she can use it in the morning hunting. With a 75 yard zero she can hold dead on to a max range of 125 and be on target. I won't let her take a longer shot with that particular rig. She can shoot better than that, but the equipment is a limiting factor here.

One thing I really don't like at this pit is the recent addition of bark chips / mulch / whatever you call it. While it is softer underfoot walking and looks nice … it's a bear to police your brass. I usually have a large 12 x 20 foot painters drop cloth out to catch empties but they all don't make it on the tarp. And the bark sticks to the drop cloth making a mess when you pick it up. Broken glass, especially brown beer bottles, hide very nicely in this, I've almost cut myself a few times when cleaning up other's messes there.

Still though, it's better than not having a place to shoot and easier to get to for a quick outing than Douglas Ridge where I have a membership.

Cheers!

Just posted this to our Trash No Land Facebook Page...

Commit RANDOM ACTS OF CLEANUPS like Craig and Tracy Yon do on a regular basis!

Craig and Tracy cruse the forest and frequent target shooting places on public lands in Benton County, Oregon. Sometimes they indulge in some target practice, but more often, they monitor the conditions and report to the BLM, or Siuslaw National Forest officials. They have a Stewards heart, are very concern for our environment and value the preservation of recreational shooting on public lands.

On #NationalPublicLandsDay, Craig and Tracy went for a drive up to the Mary's Peak area and were curious as to the condition of the quarry we had recently cleaned up this September.

"The quarry actually looked really good still. Probably less than a trash bag. Some weird stuff though. Spaghetti, a glass and a 1/2 of a 2 liter of Coke, along with 2 Costco food bowls.

Down the 3000 line, the first spot on the left, I grabbed a shot up computer. Left the rest because no gloves and too many berry vines. The next spot, on the left up the hill, about a 1/2 bag of trash. Left at the Y and down the road, where the squatters are occasionally, we picked up a big pile of wet magazines and stuff. The other side of the camp I left (too gross for no gloves). About a small truck load of stuff. The big spot, where we normally shoot, had a lot of stuff. Ended up with 3 big bags of Trash but no deer for the freezer."

Craig is a Board member of Trash No Land and a member of NorthwestFirearms.

The best part of this... Craig and Tracy pay for the disposal of this trash they find in the forest. THAT'S AWESOME!!!

Thank you Craig! Kudo's to you and Tracy for your ongoing Random Acts of Cleanups!

#TrashNoLand
#StewardshipKeepsItOpen
@BLM Oregon & Washington
@Siuslaw National Forest
@Rem700..300

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_19151.jpg

572740-53d979e1d52ec00f23819bd4d98c0362.jpg

IMG_19161.jpg

IMG_19181.jpg

572739-600d7d2b219622d36518795438c7c60d.jpg

20191007_171417.jpg

Last Edited:
Just heard back from Randy...

"Thanks for the info. I forwarded it to our staff that are tracking abandoned vehicles and trailers on the forest to confirm it is one they are tracking and if they have a plan for removal. I will let you know what I find out
Randy"
Latest response from Randy, ODF Forest Grove office as of today, Friday 10-11-19, about the Abandoned RV in the Tillamook State Forest...

"Bill,
I was out of the office Wednesday afternoon and working in SW Washington on Thursday. I spent part of the day on Thursday with Rex from DNR.

Anyway, Steph just returned from vacation this morning and confirmed that it is one we are tracking. At this point it is one we don't have a plan for removal yet. Steph also received an email from another visitor that said the trailer in the photo you sent was set on fire earlier this week. She is going to drive up to the site on Saturday to confirm that. So, if there is debris to clean-up we would certainly welcome the help. We do need to confirm status and also need to make sure there isn't any hazardous type waste associated with the clean-up."

I can see the reason for being concerned about the potential for hazardous waist! Could be gasoline, oil and/or, (most likely), hypodermic needles). So, we'll hang tight and wait for their assessment. Hopefully, we'll be able to be a part of the removal of this crap that people do to destroy our publicly owned lands.

I'll keep you up to date as soon as I hear!

Bill

One thing I really don't like at this pit is the recent addition of bark chips / mulch / whatever you call it. While it is softer underfoot walking and looks nice … it's a bear to police your brass.

Here's a good alternative to picking up brass. The thing is incredibly well-built, and the bag is sturdy. It folds down flat, can be folded forward if need be, and has a QD lever.

It's been a great addition for me. I wish there was something like this for pistols, too.

Here's a good alternative to picking up brass. The thing is incredibly well-built, and the bag is sturdy. It folds down flat, can be folded forward if need be, and has a QD lever.

It's been a great addition for me. I wish there was something like this for pistols, too.

Cool! I like her (I mean IT! ;)). I've seen a few but this one looks great! Must be a magnet that holds it to the side. I'm sure it works for shotguns as well. Thanks for the info!

However... I gotta add... I don't care for the vid showing no backstop! It looks like they are shooting into the trees as their backstop. It gives the impression of "It's okay to shoot into trees! The bullet will stop somewhere, right?!" Not cool if it's on public land! It's only okay on private land (then you can do what ever you want!). Otherwise, people who don't think about it, will think "hey, I want to do that too! Let's go to the free/open public land and do this"!

The promo people, who produce these vids, don't think about public land shooting and don't offer a disclaimer about being responsible to use an earthen berm backstop when shooting on public lands. I kind of think this may be part of our problem with rogue shooters in the woods.

Dear Josh, (oh, why did I say "Dear"!) Obviously, you are not very "Dear" to someone!. Face it Dude, you're not very loved! Get a life, bud, and straighten up your act! Someone out there doesn't like you very much and there must be a reason for it! So, quit being a jerk and perhaps we won't be seeing your name plastered all over the forest! 1f642.png

Signed, (with my Italian name), Bill De-Graffiti (AKA Rimozione dei graffiti).

I bought some graffiti remover and proceeded to remove that crud off the concrete and rocks, at the Arrowhead Pit in the Yacolt Burn State Forest, in SW Washington. This is a place where target shooting is highly visible to all who enter the Yacolt Burn State Forest, as it's along the main entry point road and is a first impression of the forest.

Soon, I ran out of graffiti remover and elbow grease! Two cans and a lot of scrubbing! Low and behold, who comes along but Crystal Crowder of PISTONS WILD Motorsports Club! With grey, brown and black PAINT!!! This project, to delete the graffiti at 4x4 trail heads and at the Arrowhead Shooting Pit, was on her 'to-do' list for today! So, we both proceeded to cover the trash graffiti on the remaining rocks. Thank you Crystal! Good timing! We think alike and make a good team!

There is still some graffiti on some of the rocks (because we ran out of paint and remover), so, if someone can take up a couple cans of Grey spray paint and cover up the other spots, it will be greatly appreciated!

I was also able to clean up the roadway, that passes the pit, and in the parking areas. Two bags FULL just from the road and parking! This was really an eye soar and should not be trashed at all!

With target shooting being a 'first impression' of the Yacolt Burn, we need to take extra care of this place so it stays clean and presentable to all who visit our shared public forest. It is a representation of what target shooting on public land is all about and it is consistently being misrepresented by many people.

Remember, Stewardship Keeps It Open!

Enjoy, shoot safe and commit Random Acts of Cleanups!

Bill (De-Graffiti)!!!

#TrashNoLand
#StewardshipKeepsItOpen
#CommitRandomActsOfCleanups
Washington State Department of Natural Resources

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 1.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 2.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 3.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 4.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 5.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 6.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 7.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 8.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 9.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 10.jpg

10-13-19 Arrowhead Pit 11.jpg

Looks like you have a couple of knuckleheads up that way. Great job on the cleaning up you two. Picked up a little more yesterday evening in the other spot we go hunting. No pictures.

Dear Josh, (oh, why did I say "Dear"!) Obviously, you are not very "Dear" to someone!. Face it Dude, you're not very loved! Get a life, bud, and straighten up your act! Someone out there doesn't like you very much and there must be a reason for it! So, quit being a jerk and perhaps we won't be seeing your name plastered all over the forest! View attachment 624342

Signed, (with my Italian name), Bill De-Graffiti (AKA Rimozione dei graffiti).

I bought some graffiti remover and proceeded to remove that crud off the concrete and rocks, at the Arrowhead Pit in the Yacolt Burn State Forest, in SW Washington. This is a place where target shooting is highly visible to all who enter the Yacolt Burn State Forest, as it's along the main entry point road and is a first impression of the forest.

Soon, I ran out of graffiti remover and elbow grease! Two cans and a lot of scrubbing! Low and behold, who comes along but Crystal Crowder of PISTONS WILD Motorsports Club! With grey, brown and black PAINT!!! This project, to delete the graffiti at 4x4 trail heads and at the Arrowhead Shooting Pit, was on her 'to-do' list for today! So, we both proceeded to cover the trash graffiti on the remaining rocks. Thank you Crystal! Good timing! We think alike and make a good team!

There is still some graffiti on some of the rocks (because we ran out of paint and remover), so, if someone can take up a couple cans of Grey spray paint and cover up the other spots, it will be greatly appreciated!

I was also able to clean up the roadway, that passes the pit, and in the parking areas. Two bags FULL just from the road and parking! This was really an eye soar and should not be trashed at all!

With target shooting being a 'first impression' of the Yacolt Burn, we need to take extra care of this place so it stays clean and presentable to all who visit our shared public forest. It is a representation of what target shooting on public land is all about and it is consistently being misrepresented by many people.

Remember, Stewardship Keeps It Open!

Enjoy, shoot safe and commit Random Acts of Cleanups!

Bill (De-Graffiti)!!!

#TrashNoLand
#StewardshipKeepsItOpen
#CommitRandomActsOfCleanups
Washington State Department of Natural Resources

View attachment 624331

View attachment 624332

View attachment 624333

View attachment 624334

View attachment 624335

View attachment 624336

View attachment 624337

View attachment 624338

View attachment 624339

View attachment 624340

View attachment 624341
Wow, there was more tagging there since Friday morning!

I'll try to get up there with grey paint but it won't be until at least Wednesday.

They may have bashed Josh, but the taggers are the real trash!

Washington; RCW 9A.48.090 defines Malicious Mischief 3rd Degree as: 1) damages the property of another person and does so knowingly and maliciously, or 2) writes or paints graffiti on the property of another without permission. Under Washington state law, Malicious Mischief 3rd Degree is a gross misdemeanor, meaning the maximum penalty is 364 days in jail and a $5,000 fine.

Wow, there was more tagging there since Friday morning!

I'll try to get up there with grey paint but it won't be until at least Wednesday.
Might want to redo a couple of those that have too much brown or black on them. Some don't look very natural. The grey works the best.

I think I'll stock up on a few cans of Grey and just keep them in the gear bag so I can deal with them as I find them.

Another spot is at the Jackson Pit by the Jackson pass, where the 1500 Rd meets the 1600. You can't see it from the roadway but once you're up in there, there's alot of graffiti on the rocks. I prefer to get the spots that are visible from the roads first.

Went hunting on the coast by Waldport yesterday. Growing in the salal was the species s10 blazer junkerous. Will email it in as it didnt have a sticker on it.
20191012_105033.jpg 20191012_105122.jpg

Also found some fine living quarters on another road but it already had the law enforcement sticker on it.
20191012_115837.jpg

That's one well built unit! I like that you can swing it away to clear / observe the ejection port. It would be good while single loading, such as practicing high power slow fire stages.

I do have a brass catcher for the ARs in the family, just not this fancy. What I don't have a catcher for are pistols and my M1 Garands. .30-06 bras is pretty easy to find in most cases, especially compared to pistol brass, but I still lose a few if I don't have tarp out. I've also built a screen with PVC and netting that keeps things close, but it's a pain to have yet another thing to haul to the range!

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Throat punch every one of them.

Hard.

...and, Josh seems like my kind of dude. Well loved and respected by his peers.

That's one well built unit! I like that you can swing it away to clear / observe the ejection port. It would be good while single loading, such as practicing high power slow fire stages.

I do have a brass catcher for the ARs in the family, just not this fancy. What I don't have a catcher for are pistols and my M1 Garands. .30-06 bras is pretty easy to find in most cases, especially compared to pistol brass, but I still lose a few if I don't have tarp out. I've also built a screen with PVC and netting that keeps things close, but it's a pain to have yet another thing to haul to the range!

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

You're welcome. I might build a screen like you're describing, to direct brass onto a tarp. I can shoot all I want to on the farm, but it's really easy to lose brass down in the grass and weeds.

You're welcome. I might build a screen like you're describing, to direct brass onto a tarp. I can shoot all I want to on the farm, but it's really easy to lose brass down in the grass and weeds.
The screen is nice at a dedicated range too. You can set it between benches and not pelt your neighbor with brass.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top