JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/202300/

It's rather fun, actually

"SHOOTING a handgun at a target is a thrill; don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You load bullets into a clip, push it up into the gun, turn off the safety catch, take careful hold of the gun with two hands, aim and shoot. The thing jumps in your hand and you see the bullet knock a hole in the target and spark off the floor at the back of the range. There is an extraordinary rush and then you do it again. Another spark; perhaps this time the hole in the target is a little closer to the centre. Soon you have fired the whole clip and you're loading the deadly weapon in your hand again."

The word "clip" when used to describe a "magazine" drives me insane.

It's slightly less painful to me when it comes from one of the uninitiated. Or the media. ;) The more disappointing part to me was

"That almost 33,000 people are killed with firearms each year in America (including three Muslims in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, earlier this week) is a colossal and largely unnecessary waste of life. That people celebrate these deadly devices and carry them around while shopping, picking up their children from school or working, seems monstrous."

Does no one in all of Europe understand that after removing gang violence, we have about the same murder rates as they do? Joe Sixpack shopping at the mall with the kids isn't going to cap someone for taking his parking space. We're the same as you, people - life is just as precious to us.

"The word "clip" when used to describe a "magazine" drives me insane."

""It's slightly less painful to me when it comes from one of the uninitiated. Or the media. ";)

Hmmm. Try this quote---the person is shooting a 45 ACP 1911:

"I corrected my point of aim, and the next five shots in the clip went into the snowdrift. I put
in a new clip and put them all in the snowdrift"

Elmer Keith
"Hell I Was There"
page 190

Suspect that Elmer wasn't "one of the uninitiated" and maybe back in the day clip
and magazine were used interchangeably.

Words change-----look at how "gay" and "thong" have evolved over the last 40 years.:rolleyes:

"The word "clip" when used to describe a "magazine" drives me insane."

""It's slightly less painful to me when it comes from one of the uninitiated. Or the media. ";)

Hmmm. Try this quote---the person is shooting a 45 ACP 1911:

"I corrected my point of aim, and the next five shots in the clip went into the snowdrift. I put
in a new clip and put them all in the snowdrift"

Elmer Keith
"Hell I Was There"
page 190

Suspect that Elmer wasn't "one of the uninitiated" and maybe back in the day clip
and magazine were used interchangeably.

Words change-----look at how "gay" and "thong" have evolved over the last 40 years.:rolleyes:

There were actually guns that used clips in his day. ;)

They also mean different things in different countries that speak the same language.

Fanny: U.S.-tush Britain/Australia-Vijay-jay

bubblegum: U.S.- UnPC for a homosexual UK/Australia-cigarette

I still do a double take at my Aussie relatives when I'm over there and they use that word in the context of a cigarette.

Per Merriam-Webster Dictionary online:

Definition of CLIP
transitive verb
: <broken link removed>
a: to hold in a tight grip : <broken link removed>
b: to clasp, fasten, or secure with a clip

Full Definition of MAGAZINE
: a place where goods or supplies are stored : <broken link removed>
: a room in which powder and other explosives are kept in a fort or a ship
: the contents of a magazine: as
a: an accumulation of munitions of war b: a stock of provisions or goods
a: a periodical containing miscellaneous pieces (as articles, stories, poems) and often illustrated; also: such a periodical published online
b: a similar section of a newspaper usually appearing on Sunday c: a radio or television program presenting usually several short segments on a variety of topics
: a supply chamber: as
a: a holder in or on a gun for cartridges to be fed into the gun chamber b: a lightproof chamber for films or plates on a camera or for film on a motion-picture projector
See magazine defined for English-language learners
See magazine defined for kids

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews