JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SALT LAKE CITY — It's now legal for someone as young as 18 to obtain a concealed weapons permit.

Governor Gary Herbert signed House Bill 198, sponsored by Rep. Karianne Lisonbee, R-Clearfield, which lowers the age for someone to conceal carry a firearm from 21 to 18. Under the law, they are allowed to seek a provisional permit.

Supporters argued the bill would help protect college students from sexual assault on campus. Opponents said it put guns in the hands of people still too young to make responsible decisions.

The bill does still prohibit concealed weapons permit holders from carrying on elementary or secondary school properties.

It's now legal to get a concealed weapons permit in Utah at age 18

If kids can die for their country and vote then they should enjoy all the other benifits that go along with it. Drinking and smoking (both kinds) too.

In all honesty I think 21 should be the eligible age for voting, service and college anyhow. Kids are too young at 18, though many need the discipline the military has to offer, 18 is still pretty young. I feel kids need real world experience before they take on life changing journeys.

As much as I champion for libertarian freedom.. I remember when I was 18.. My fuse was short and my blood ran hot with emotion.. While some can handle the responsibility of carrying, the average 18yo is still developing mentally.

Looks like our Gubner might get her wish to make the legal age for smoking 21. I agree with you Certaindeaf although there are many older than that who still shouldn't have one!

I believe that means that Washington will no longer recognize Utah permits, since they only recognize permits from states with equal or more stringent requirements and Washington requires you to be 21 before you can get a permit.

If kids can die for their country and vote then they should enjoy all the other benifits that go along with it. Drinking and smoking (both kinds) too.

In all honesty I think 21 should be the eligible age for voting, service and college anyhow. Kids are too young at 18, though many need the discipline the military has to offer, 18 is still pretty young. I feel kids need real world experience before they take on life changing journeys.

As much as I champion for libertarian freedom.. I remember when I was 18.. My fuse was short and my blood ran hot with emotion.. While some can handle the responsibility of carrying, the average 18yo is still developing mentally.

If your in the military then you can drink, smoke and carry at 18 other wise 21. That would be a good compromise because I totally agree with you if you can die for your country then you should get the benefits that go with it.

I believe that means that Washington will no longer recognize Utah permits, since they only recognize permits from states with equal or more stringent requirements and Washington requires you to be 21 before you can get a permit.
That is correct but not sure when it will go into effect with carrying in Washington.

Before I was 18 it was acceptable practice for me to grab a .22 or two, hop in Dad's old truck and head out to our family place to dink around and do some shooting. Some times I took a good friend. It was a bunch of fun when I bought a .22 revolver to go with Grandpa's Ruger and we didn't have to take turns, just swapped guns back and forth. A few years later in life and I truly was a hot head, but I'd have never thought of shooting someone out of anger. It wasn't even an option.
I am sceptical that this generation understands the severity and consequences of seriously poor decisions, especially those involving firearms.
Then again, I might just be getting old. :s0145: When I was 18 I would have wanted the option.

How hard would it be to add a stipulation to the Recip statute about "will only honor permits for 21YO or over" rather than lose it all, other than that the lawyers and pols are all garbage unfit to feed to a starving woodchipper?

It is despotic to send one to die in war but otherwise forbade all the rights and privileges due an adult.

I tend to agree.....But isn't it fact that the humane brain is not fully developed, in many cases, at 18? Privileges due an adult also include cigarettes and alcohol. Now we have our so-called leaders in more than a couple of states wanting to raise the smoking age to 21. Are we sure these teeners will have the maturity and level headedness it takes to carry a firearm?

Not arguing to one side or the other, just throwing that out for debate.

In all honesty I think 21 should be the eligible age for voting, service and college anyhow. Kids are too young at 18,
While some can handle the responsibility of carrying, the average 18yo is still developing mentally.

I have discussed the the idea, concept, of age of adult with a number of people. What is it?

21 - Oregon Tobacco, Alcohol, purchase handgun
18 - Vote, Military, Marriage (most), Tobacco, possess handgun
16 - get the ol' drivers license ? - some said drop the vote age to 16 after the last national election
13 - Bar Mitzva, Bat Mitzva, Confirmation ?

Someone asked our current generation of young adults, AKA Millennials. Their answer: 30 !
Your kids can be on your insurance until they are 27 !

When I was a bit younger, I said I would not be serious with a woman until she was 27 - maturity.

When we get a news story, usually a rape or killing, and the kid is being tried as an adult. What does that tell us
12 or 13 can be an adult?

I don't disagree with ZA's thoughts, but I do think we as a society need to discuss them.

If your in the military then you can drink, smoke and carry at 18 other wise 21. That would be a good compromise because I totally agree with you if you can die for your country then you should get the benefits that go with it.

We have and the 18 year age increase to 21 in the military since 2000 - because of too much bad behaviour off base.
I'd slightly modify drink and token' to include, while on base, and not mean that 'near-beer', nor government pot either.

Just because they joined, that didn't' make them mature.

I like the idea, however. With service comes privileges. Or, they become available.

How about we add Vote to that list? Jury Service? Ability to have a government job?

I know people would would say, you can't vote until you have completed a few years of service for America - 2, 4 ? Military or something like AmeriCorps.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews