JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking of pennies, in the news the last couple of days there has been a story of a man that made his final mortgage payment in pennies. It took the bank 2 days to unroll and count them. IIRC, it was in the $650 range.

elsie

America voted for change in '08 and all we got back was about a penny each(and it wasn't even one of the real copper ones, either).

I believe a few years back I viewed a special on one of the myriad History/Discovery/Science/National Geographic cable channels about the penny. It basically stated that the penny is worthless, but it is "tradition", though it costs more to manufacture than it is worth. What I took from that is that every penny I find on the street is worth about 75% of the taxed penny you and I paid to have the thing made. God Bless America.

Still, our boy will be 9 in September and still looks at a penny(or a handful of them, anyway) as a means to getting his next video game, shotgun or the centerfire rifle he has coveted. I wonder how many pennies and how long it would take for him to work his way up to the Savage Model 42 he wants(without Mom and Dad's help, which he of course will get)? I save them, I pick them up off the ground. I do not care what people think of a grown man stooping over to pick up a penny.

Remember, a penny saved is 75% of a penny earned. Kip.

I fill a 5 gallon water jug full of coins every year and a half or so.

It takes the bank about 10 minutes to count it.
It usually comes in just under $2,000, a few hundred dollars of those being pennies.

If it took that guy 35 years to come up with $600 in pennies, he should have spent more time looking through couch cushions and less time rolling.

And i'm not even going to get into the fact that the fool got himself a 35 YEAR mortgage.

There is a homeless guy that bicycles through the neighbor hood where my apartments are.
I give him all of the loose change that the renters and I collect for him, including all of the cans in the recycle bin.
He is an interesting character. Old Vietnam vet that lives in the woods. Very clean, quiet and has learned to live fairly well off of the grid.
Never seen him panhandle, only moves around kinda invisible to most of the city folk to busy to notice him.
If you think about it, most people nowadays are only a couple of paychecks away from his way of life.

... and 100 dollars used to buy a fresh horse and new saddle, 100 rounds of 45LC, a hot bath, steak dinner, 4-star room, and totally hot call girl... all in one fell swoop. Nowadays I would pay that much in one trip taking my six kids to Carls Jr. for crap food.

Have you met Andy Rooney?

Sorta.

stock-photo-3631580-skeleton-wearing-tie-in-executive-chair-with-laptop-on-desk.jpg

stock-photo-3631580-skeleton-wearing-tie-in-executive-chair-with-laptop-on-desk.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top