JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So what's the deal with the penny lately?

True, it's become largely irrelevant, and kind of a pain in the buttocks given retail pricing strategies. $3.99 will somehow snag a sale, but $4 might not. On hectic errand days, I end up with what feels like a pound of coins in my pocket.

Then the world seems to come to a screeching, impatient halt around me if I bother to count the odd pennies out and spend them back into circulation.
I can't remember the last time I could actually buy anything for a penny. Maybe some Bazooka bubble gum back when smokes shot up from 29 to 35 cents a pack. I quit both after the Hillsdale Piggly Wiggly closed.

But what's this new deal where cashiers in Plaids, 7-Elevens and certain eateries don't bother to return that penny with my change? It's not all that new, actually. More like 2-3 years now, and probably 2-3 times a month. Is it Portland? A "hip" generational thing? Better weed?

I ask for all of my change, and I get it. The overt response is something akin to "Oh yeah," (sort of like "I forgot," but lacking any vestige of apology). There's a deeper little vibe there, too, that feels like "You cheapskate bast*rd, it's just a penny."

Now and then, someone will ask if I want my pennies, implying that I might not be up for the ordeal. The cash drawer is still open Sparky. Is counting coins that big of a chore these days? At least they asked...

But what's the deal with this post-2010 assumption that I won't notice, or care, if they decide to blow it off? I'm not worried about moving my bedroll under the Hawthorne Bridge if I never get another penny back - ever. But the phenomenon makes me curious. I've asked more than a few friends and cohorts (of all ages) who notice this too. Like me, they want their pennies.

So what's the broader consensus around the NW?

It seems like lately I've been finding a bunch of pennies on the ground in parking lots. Pretty much every time I go somewhere I find one or two. I wait for my penny change on the rare occasion that I actually pay with cash. I like bringing them home to my three year old, she loves counting them and putting them in her piggy bank. I've never had anyone not give one to me or ask me if I wanted it either. Maybe it is just a Portland thing?

I gots an old one gallon A&W rootbeer jug in my room that I've been tossing pennies into for the last 14 years or so.... Almost full now. Too bad they aren't made from propper copper, or it'd be worth more in scrap weight than the face value.

It seems like lately I've been finding a bunch of pennies on the ground in parking lots. Pretty much every time I go somewhere I find one or two. I wait for my penny change on the rare occasion that I actually pay with cash. I like bringing them home to my three year old, she loves counting them and putting them in her piggy bank. I've never had anyone not give one to me or ask me if I wanted it either. Maybe it is just a Portland thing?

Finally, a reason for pennies!

Mike

I gots an old one gallon A&W rootbeer jug in my room that I've been tossing pennies into for the last 14 years or so.... Almost full now. Too bad they aren't made from propper copper, or it'd be worth more in scrap weight than the face value.

/\ /\

This.

I finally rolled all the pennies (and a a few nickles, dimes, and quarters) from my large change jar I'd been filling for about 6 years.
Over $200.
That's a quite few boxes of ammo...

This is just another example of good self governance. The government should have killed the penny over a decade ago. We can kill it as individuals simply by not using it. They'll only make as many as people want, so it will die out.

Now if they'd just make a dollar coin that was distinct from a quarter, and ditto for a $5 coin, I'd be in heaven.

WOW The wife and I started throwing all our change in a piggy bank for our two grand daughters (now aged 4 and 5) and in the last 5 years we have managed to put over $3200.00 in the bank towards there future needs. If we keep this up we are on schedule to have about 7-8K (as we gain $1000.00 we move the money into some sort of investment) for each girl as a graduation present. We figure Tuition for one bail money for the other LOL.

I've cashed in several hundred in change jars... easy. If there's silver in there. Problem is, with pennies, you can fill one of those 5-gallon water-cooler jugs, take it into the bank on a dolly and lift it up to the machine with a crane, and all those pennies still only come to $1.42

Screw pennies

I took a coffee bucket (used to be called a can or tin but now made of plastic) to the bank full of change including MANY pennies. When they brought it back I had over $300.00 and a couple of .22 rounds that had somehow gotten into the bucket! $300.00 + is awesome, look from teller who handed me the rounds PRICELESS...:)

I fill a one gallon jar with pennies. Just pennies. When I take it in and get it counted, I have $50. These days it takes a while to fill it because I'm not out spending cash like before, but $50 > $0. At least I can buy a couple boxes of ammo with it.

elsie

I recently noticed the bums by my office don't like pennies. So now, when I'm walking to work I keep an eye out for discarded bum crumbs and give 'em to my son for his piggy bank. One bum's trash is a real man's treasure.

Actually the older pennies are made of copper. Last year was 1982. Those are now worth little more than twice their face value. I segregate my change, so I have jars with quarters,dimes, nickles and pennies. The pennies get segregated into copper and junk metal ones. I know it won't make me rich but it's sort of a recent thing of mine, as I will spend the modern ones, but am keeping the old/real ones.

Not to go into old man "I walked uphill 12 miles barefoot though knee deep snow to school" stories, but there was a time when every penny I could get was needed, so a penny will always be important to me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top