JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello!
So I have a question for you folks who are far more experienced than I.
I recently purchased an HK45C and LOVE the hell out of it. Shoots very straight, does prefer better ammo but will do good groupings with just about everything.
Anyways, I noticed yesterday, that after I fired about 100rds, the slide wouldn't lock open after the last round. The shell would eject but the slide would close. I have been shooting since I was 8 and have never had an issue with limp wristing. I do however jerk down when im not focusing really hard on my trigger squeeze, could this be screwing with the weapon? My buddy fired it and never had a single issue. We also tried 3 different types of ammo, all factory loads (Winchester, fiocci, prograde, all 230gr) I also tried loading just 3 rnds and did slow methodical shots, rapid fired, regular shooting and purposely limp wristed it, same results everytime.
I had one friend suggest that my thumb was accidentally hitting the slide release, but I have tiny thumbs and they dont even reach the release :-(
Any suggestions? I am not sure what I am doing wrong and I am pretty frustrated. I included a photo of how I hold the gun, my thumb looks as if it can reach the slide release, but I assure you, they dont lol I tried 4 different grips and my thumbs never reach, unless I tilt the gun to the side :(

20140822_112625.jpg

Might your thumb hit it after the gun recoils? I had this same problem with my MK 25 then realized it was my thumb after all.
What you could try is to load 1 round into a mag then fire, making sure your thumb is no where near the release and see if it locks back.

I will try to be more aware, it may just be my thumb, I do readjust my grip everytime, maybe I am just not realizing it moves further forward or something? I will have to really pay attention. Thanks!

I think you need to trim your fingernails....:D

But seriously, it looks to me like your thumb CAN reach the release if you are changing your grip between shots.

Might want to try a different grip and see if it happens.

Good luck......these type of things can drive a person nuts:(

Hahaha what am I going to scratch people with then. Lol
Yeah I have been fiddling with my gun all day doing different scenarios, grips, ect and I CAN reach it if I really jam it into my hand and stretch my thumb...maybe that naturally happens when I am shooting and I really need to pay attention. I'm pretty anxious to go to the range now lol

You don't have to get your thumb on the serrated portion of that big fat slide release bar to incur problems when it kicks.. especially if it's just barely engaging.
Do you carry that cocked and locked? Just wondering since the hammer is down and there's a great huge safety.

I will just have to see next time I shoot it, its fairly hard to release the slide just by "accident" but I am not factoring in the recoil part when dry firing. Just another excuse to go to the range;)
I do carry DEcocked and locked, although it is empty in this photo, habit just flicks the safety on. I love the decocking feature and since I am currently forced to carry in my purse (a big no no I know, I just have no other option at the moment) the safety is really nice.

I see everyone tactfully avoided the issue of hunting Tigers out of season (And a bit on the small side too) so I'll likewise avoid it

I have a issue with my Para that I think is all me, next time I am going to try many rounds with the left hand primary (I am right handed and weak due to a previous broken wrist) that should tell me if it's me or the gun. might work for you to and a great excuse to try your other hand that we all intend to do.

I will just have to see next time I shoot it, its fairly hard to release the slide just by "accident" but I am not factoring in the recoil part when dry firing. Just another excuse to go to the range;)
I do carry DEcocked and locked, although it is empty in this photo, habit just flicks the safety on. I love the decocking feature and since I am currently forced to carry in my purse (a big no no I know, I just have no other option at the moment) the safety is really nice.
A safety on an uncocked DA/SA is not nice, in my opinion.. especially one as large as a babies arm. I know I'm odd, but a lot of people are. Hopefully you will be able to get that slide to stay open.. or learn to count.. which isn't a slam/slander.. Hickok45 (innernet hero) pretty much can't count to six and there's a problem.

I love my 45c and its my EDC. About 5k through it and I've never had a hiccup and love the platform and trust it completely. More ammo and range times what I'd prescribe. best of luck and hope you learn to enjoy it as much as I do mine and if not at least you know you can get a good return on it to get yourself something like.. I would also suggest becoming a member on the the hkpro forums as there is a lot of useful info on there for an HK owner

Certain are you insulting Hickock45?.... *$%#
That man is a saint

Not cool

One thing I'd do with any self-loading pistol is take a bunch of magazines next time out, rotate through them, and if it occurs only on some, place blue tape on the bottom of the ones who fail to lock the slide open. Then see if every one of those does it.

and/or/then/substitute a different (new) slide lock lever. For an HK, they're probably less than $200.00 and come complete with a note that says, "You're not police or military, so we hate you." :rolleyes: Just sort of kidding.

Agree with the last post. If you haven't taken your magazine down and cleaned it, do it and see if that changes thing. If it has some crud in it, sometimes the follower gets impinged from moving all the way to the top and pushing the slide lock up enough to engage the slide and lock it after the last round. Also check and make sure the follower isn't cracked or missing any pieces.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top