JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So over the 4th of July I bought one of PSA's $399 AR-9 rifle kits. I got it, it went together well. I had a chance to test her out today and with the PSA mag bought with the kit I could not get it to fire at all. Loaded and cycled rounds as it should but had light primer strikes. Using a 9MM IWI Tavor mag, which clicked right in, I got a few rounds to fire but still had 4 out of 10 FTF. Still light primer strikes.

This is the first pistol caliber AR I have played with. It makes sense to start with a extra heavy hammer spring but is there something else I should look at? The kit has a unramped bolt and is using a standard LPK (no special hammer or anything else)

Thanks
image.jpg

No experience with 9mm ARs but I have had some that wouldn't run right without a hundred or so rounds through em. Is the carrier fully locking into battery?

Other than that I think you probably anwsered your own question with a heavy hammer spring.

They where factory reman rounds, but I shot several hundred out of the same box in three other guns with not a single FTF. Even the rounds that came out of the gun unfired with the light strikes fired fine after being gathered up and run through my pistol

Did you take the firing pin out of the bolt and examine it for free travel without binding up in the bolt assy.
Also, does it seem to be enough pin length protruding from the bolt face when depressed.
What did the primers look like after the light strikes.

I did remove the firing pin, if you push it hard against the spring it protrudes plenty out of the bolt face. Only a very small section of the head of the firing pin is visible looking at it from the bottom of the bolt. The hammer would be stopped far before the firing pin would bottom. I assume the snap from the hammer would push the pin in farther than where the hammer rests?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not currently, no. I ran all the FTF's through another gun.

Probably be Tuesday before I'll get another chance to mess with it/ attempt to fire a few more

I have been on the fence about one of the PSA 9mm kits lately and am very curious to see how it comes out. How does everything else look/feel on the kit? I take it you put on a different hand guard and stock right away.

Yeah, I put a $70 "slim" rail off eBay on it after taking off the FSB, The magpul stock I had laying around. That $70 rail really transforms the rifle IMHO

The parts for the most part seem like what you would expect parts in a $500 rifle to look like. The mag well adapter seems to fit and function well. The bolt itself seems a little on the cheap side, it has some extra bits attached to the back with roll pins (must be added weight) Other than the buffer and action spring I think everything else in the lower is standard AR garb.

If I can get it to shoot reliably I'll be a happy camper.

So since it's a blowback action, was there a gas port drilled in the barrel? Also is the hammer a standard AR hammer? I read that it includes a standard 9mm parts kit but am not sure what would be different besides the hammer. I have read that a different or maybe altered hammer can/has helped non-ramped bolts. I have no experience just what I read.

Last Edited:
I'm curious to see how this turns out as I've had my eye on their AR9 kits myself. My first thought with the non-ramped bolt was the hammer. I have talked to some folks about the necessity of using a different hammer in an AR9. You mention the LPK came with a standard hammer - that was the one item I was cautioned about.

Might be work a look. If that is the issue, I'm surprised that PSA wouldn't have addressed that in the kit.

Does it happen more often the fuller the magazine is?
I'm wondering if it's not going fully into battery due to the rounds pushing up against the bolt.

I shot a buddies 9mm AR today and they are fun. He had the DDLES SMG mag specific lower with a YHM upper . The mags are b!tch to load but it was pretty cool overall. I will be looking for a mag loader when I place my order.

I ramped the bolt a bit.

A HSS endmill wouldn't touch it so I ground it in by hand, beadblasted it and used some Birchwood Casey barrel brown for a finish (blue would be better but it's what I had)

I also got some Wolff XP hammer springs on order.

image.jpg

I shot a buddies 9mm AR today and they are fun. He had the DDLES SMG mag specific lower with a YHM upper . The mags are b!tch to load but it was pretty cool overall. I will be looking for a mag loader when I place my order.
Those DDLES lowers seem to be the thing. I have read that adapters and mags tend to be the bain of pistol caliber AR's

I am confident that with some futzing around I'll get this guy dialed in.

A good friend just ordered two of these kits and I'll get to assemble his as well. By the time I get all of them up to snuff I probably will have learned something.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top