Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Issue with my Dies?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by theflyguy, Mar 13, 2013.

1. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

Guys,

Ok I'm new at this so bare with me....(I have brand new RCBS turret press and brand new carbide dies)

I finally put my bench together, mounted my press, cleaned my dies, tumbled my brass.

So last night I started the depriming process of some .40 brass. About a third of the way through something caught my eye, so I took a closer look at the brass. I noticed scratches on the brass. The scratches (lines) were not up/down lengthwise but horizontal and only on part of the brass (i.e., not all the way around).

I thoroughly cleaned the dies with brake cleaner...making sure nothing metal touched the insides of the die....but I'm disappointed and concerned.

Suggestions?????

2. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Almost always, scratches left on a case by a die run from mouth to case head, not side to side. Are you stopping part way then continuing, thus leaving a "stop-start" mark? Were the marks there before you sized the cases? Have you looked inside the die after finding these marks?

Pictures might help but again, any flaw in the die that would scratch is going to scratch as the case moves in and out of the die thus making up/down scratches.

3. ridnjon

ridnjon vancouver wa Active Member

Clean your die again. If that does not work you can lightly buff (without removing material) the area that is scratching.

4. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

Thanks I'll take the die out tonight and reclean and check to see if there are any bit of material left inside that is causing the scratches.

5. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

a clear pic of the case would be helpful to see,sounds weired that the scratches are not lengthwise.

P7id10T and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

How deep are the scratches? I have a custom FL sizing die and it leaves a pattern on the brass in the direction you describe. No big deal. If you can't feel the scratches with your fingernail then I wouldn't worry about it. A picture would be very helpful.

7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Buy Redding dies for the same money and get better dies.

8. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

And considering that the case slides in and out, it makes it difficult to visualize how any debris or scratching in the die can leave only horizontal marking. That is, unless it's more of a wrinkle or beginning case separation both of which are not die related.

Pic's sure help.

9. PMB

PMB Vancouver, Washington Active Member

I seem to be following Deadshot2 through the threads and agreeing with all of his comments. :)

If the stroke is solid (no stop/start) then the marks that you are describing can't be scratches from the die. I have seen a defective die cause a "stop at bottom" mark though.

It sounds more like a mark being left by the firing/ejection process, then made to stand out more by resizing.

Check out some of your freshly fired brass , wipe a few down, etc.

Would like to hear the solution.

10. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

I'm in with the "stop-start" theory.

But pictures would be nice.