JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys,

Ok I'm new at this so bare with me....(I have brand new RCBS turret press and brand new carbide dies)

I finally put my bench together, mounted my press, cleaned my dies, tumbled my brass.

So last night I started the depriming process of some .40 brass. About a third of the way through something caught my eye, so I took a closer look at the brass. I noticed scratches on the brass. The scratches (lines) were not up/down lengthwise but horizontal and only on part of the brass (i.e., not all the way around).

I thoroughly cleaned the dies with brake cleaner...making sure nothing metal touched the insides of the die....but I'm disappointed and concerned.

Suggestions?????

Almost always, scratches left on a case by a die run from mouth to case head, not side to side. Are you stopping part way then continuing, thus leaving a "stop-start" mark? Were the marks there before you sized the cases? Have you looked inside the die after finding these marks?

Pictures might help but again, any flaw in the die that would scratch is going to scratch as the case moves in and out of the die thus making up/down scratches.

How deep are the scratches? I have a custom FL sizing die and it leaves a pattern on the brass in the direction you describe. No big deal. If you can't feel the scratches with your fingernail then I wouldn't worry about it. A picture would be very helpful.

a clear pic of the case would be helpful to see,sounds weired that the scratches are not lengthwise.

And considering that the case slides in and out, it makes it difficult to visualize how any debris or scratching in the die can leave only horizontal marking. That is, unless it's more of a wrinkle or beginning case separation both of which are not die related.

Pic's sure help.

I seem to be following Deadshot2 through the threads and agreeing with all of his comments. :)

If the stroke is solid (no stop/start) then the marks that you are describing can't be scratches from the die. I have seen a defective die cause a "stop at bottom" mark though.

It sounds more like a mark being left by the firing/ejection process, then made to stand out more by resizing.

Check out some of your freshly fired brass , wipe a few down, etc.

Would like to hear the solution.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads