JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well my son is in his last few months of High School, and it's looking very much like he will graduate with an A average and perfect attendance.... He is such a good kid, and I am very, very proud of him.
As a reward, I'm taking him on a road trip to a computer/videogame convention in Austin, Texas this August... Not my idea of a vacation, but it's what he wants, and It's along the lines of where he is focusing his future education.
I've always wanted to go on a hog hunt, as has my son, so while we are down there we might as well see if we can find one cheap enough. This would make the trip very memorable for both of us. We had a little reprieve, but circumstances took a turn, and money is getting tight again...so we'll be on a budget... we need the best hunt for the best possible price. We are both putting all of our spare change into a can, and I'll be selling a couple FA's to try to fund the trip. We'll be sleeping in the car, or camping out when possible to save $. This will be my last good road trip for a while, and now that he's 18 and probably off to collage next year... I may not get another opportunity to spend quality time with my only son.... and he has never left the pacific NW in his life, so I want it to count!

Anybody know of a good inexpensive hog hunt between here and Austin,TX?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
:s0094:

Last Edited:
Sorry, I can't help with any advice. This is for sure a bucket list item for me. I have been thinking about hunting hogs in Texas for a while. I know they do some great package hunts for maybe bobcat, whitetail, etc depending on what time of year it is. If you planned it right, I bet you could hit the grand canyon and some other big sights on the way down. Sounds like it will be a great trip with your son.

I went to Independence Ranch (the one referenced above) with a couple friends last summer. It's a high fence place and you will have opportunities. Couple of things to know however; They almost always run specials like the one above so don't feel rushed. There are more than a few fees that you should be aware of. Notably, $100 guide fee and $1.00/pound processing fee ($50 minimum). There is also a bait fee (for the cracked corn) but I don't remember how much it was. It was cheap enough that we paid it instead of stopping and bringing our own corn. I am fairly new to hunting so it was a good place to start for me. texas3.jpg

If you want, PM me your PP info and I'll share some monies with you to help out with the road trip for your son. ;)
Wow! That's very generous of you! Truth be told, due to unforeseen circumstances... finances are gunna be real tight around here for the next several months, and it's gunna be a real penny pincher of a trip.:( Might have to forgo the hog hunt this time.
But hey... gas moneys would help!

I went to Independence Ranch (the one referenced above) with a couple friends last summer. It's a high fence place and you will have opportunities. Couple of things to know however; They almost always run specials like the one above so don't feel rushed. There are more than a few fees that you should be aware of. Notably, $100 guide fee and $1.00/pound processing fee ($50 minimum). There is also a bait fee (for the cracked corn) but I don't remember how much it was. It was cheap enough that we paid it instead of stopping and bringing our own corn. I am fairly new to hunting so it was a good place to start for me. View attachment 444467
Ya I was looking at all the extra fees that go along with it and they add up quick... Its good to know they put up these deals often, because I didn't want to commit to it yet, but I also didn't want to miss the deal. Depending how my stuff sells at the next couple gun shows I do, I'll see if I can actually afford to do it or not.

This post makes me miss my Dad, we only ever got to hunt together once when i was little. Time was gone before I knew it. Don't pass up this opportunity.
Kill some hogs with your boy!

Good post.
If you ever go and fly into Houston, there's awesome gator gumbo to be had in Wharton at "Wharton Seafood".
It's a hole-in-the-wall, and the food is very good.
[ETA] I'm of the opinion that the state highways in TX are much more enjoyable to drive than the interstates.
Also add, if you can, time it when there is a rodeo somewhere along the way. Great place to see the message, "GOD, Country, Texas, Community, Family." I don't know why Texas gets such a bad name, it's a beautiful state.

Last Edited:
Wow! That's very generous of you! Truth be told, due to unforeseen circumstances... finances are gunna be real tight around here for the next several months, and it's gunna be a real penny pincher of a trip.:( Might have to forgo the hog hunt this time.
But hey... gas moneys would help!

Take it from me if you don't do it now then you won't! Take your kid and do the hog hunt. Make it happen brother and if you need anything let me know.

No Regrets!

Take it from me if you don't do it now then you won't! Take your kid and do the hog hunt. Make it happen brother and if you need anything let me know.

No Regrets!
Ya because of the wreck the last several years were pretty lame for the kids...and I have enough regret as it is because of it.
Thankfully my daughter is only 16,and I have a few years still to make it up to her, but I'm squeezing in the little bit of time with my son before he's off to be his own man... Thanks to @Stomper 's generous graduation gift, It's looking a lot more like we can actually pull it off!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top