Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is your current area and neighbors condusive for bugging in?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by mosinguy, Oct 31, 2012.

1. mosinguy

mosinguy by the ocean Member

I ask this because in another forum it was brought up if your neighbors were as prepped as you and if you would trust them. I also threw in the area question to see how many of us were happy where they are or if they wished they were more or less remote.

I did some calculations on preparedness and came up with rough guesstamations on it and figured that about 15% of the population here in the states are prepared. It is said that about 55% or so of the population still thinks the goobberment will come to their rescue. So that leaves roughly 30% that may have little to no preps. That is kinda scarey!!!!!!!!!!

We are fortunate enough to have moved into a great area. Our neighbors are in the same mind set for the most part, most all of us are on the voluteer fire dept. We have a large area of wood lands with our houses that can be secured rather easily since there is just one main road. It would take 2 road blocks and a few tree stands to watch over it. The tree comanies have set logs at key areas behind us that can be rolled across the log roads,one of our group works for the company. It gives us some more area to hunt.

Some of our group are worried about people coming over the hill to our area. I am going to show them what group is directly behind us, LDS, which my family and i are members too. That will put them to ease,because I have brought this up with the group behind us and they want to work with us. It gives us a large area with lots of options.

I am happy with our area!!!!!! Tell me about yours

41Slinger, 3MTA3 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

there are approx.200 houses in my immediate neighborhood. I would guess less then 20 are any more then prepped for a week. I would also guess 75 or more have firearms. Maybe as many as half. I live in a small town on the northern edge. The majority of familys in this area are young. We also have a percentage of people on housing and I am sure on food stamps.

You do the math

3MTA3 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. mosinguy

Wow thats not good Mark, have you made bug out plans and do you think there would be enough of a warning ?

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not enough warning of what? And no I do not have any plans to "Bug Out"

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. mosinguy

If the economy was to crash or if say a mass upriseing after the election, for example.

It sounds like you feel you are fine in your area, that is a good thing!

6. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

I was mulling this over just this morning. Pretty much a poor situation here as I am just outside a small town but have close neighbors and a home that would be very hard to defend (lots of windows and an open floor plan) unless we all banded together.

One nearest neighbor is a single woman and on the other side is a family where I doubt that the dad ever held a gun of any sort. On the bright side the single gal is from OK and knows how to handle a gun and has two large dogs. Guess I'll talk to the guy next door and see what his prep situation is, as he is a LDS guy so I assume he's following their recommendations.

Despite the above, gonna stay put. Have no place to go and also do not like the odds of traveling anywhere during bad times.

41Slinger, ikemay and Sgt Nambu like this.
  7. mosinguy

Well in OK we raise our girls right!!!! I am from OK myself moved back out here 9 yrs ago.

I would go and talk to the gal from OK and the LDS and see if yall are on the same page. If so it ma be possible to get the other family in on a plan and have a good basic group.

Our house has lots of windows too, but we live off the main road and have large trees around us, one of which i can put a stand in and be able to cover one of the road block and east side.

I will also say that you are right about your odds if you had to travel.

Keep up your endeavors and keep us posted. Also if there is enough land around you there ma be people fairly close that can SAFELY make it their bug out location.

cigars likes this.
  8. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

Will do on the talking to neighbors - they are both real nice (esp. the gal from OK - she's a hoot!!) so we'll see what's up.

9. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

I am screwed and know it. I live in Seattle surrounded by new age women and metrosexuals.

ob1, transittech and partsed like this.
  10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I suspect metrosexuals are tender and tasty! Also, their hides are already scraped! In inner N.E. Portland, not a good place to be but I have good neighbors some with preps and we have a lot of fire power. Most of my neighbors and I have lived here 20-30 yrs.

41Slinger likes this.
  11. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

On a 2 mile long dead end road up a hill. One way in/out and reasonably easy to secure from your average thugs trying to loot. Everyone on the road is on 5-50 acres, many with chickens and next door has about 40 head of cattle. A few miles from the grain elevators, natural stream perks out of the hillside in the field across the road and another creek running down the canyon a few hundred yards behind us. While I have no idea how prepped everyone is many are hunters, a few cops up the hill and it is not uncommon to have deer and the occasional elk wander through the property. In a pinch I guess coyote might roast up ok... Overall a pretty good place to be.

41Slinger, 3MTA3, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  12. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That sounds ideal! I live in the heart of NW Portland, and I know I'm at a disadvantage. My only pluses are that I'm elevated, so windows are not an issue, and I have a heavy solid wood door with a metal door frame, which would be difficult to penetrate. The downside is I rely on common areas for water, gas, and electricity. I suppose I could probably hunt crows or pigeons from my balcony, which is about 10'x16', but all in all it's not a good place to be. Because the girlfriend works downtown it's difficult to live too far away, but it's been on my mind for quite some time now. If I did have to bug out I'd go North, toward Scappoose and Vernonia, but I don't really have a location.

13. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Got a 50/50 chance of things going ok here. I live in a pretty small town in the middle of nowhere. People here are pretty independent for the most part. From my house I can can count three houses that contain your typical members of the non-working, no ambition welfare types. These will be the first that I'm pretty sure we'll have issues with. Them aside I have one neighbor who's 85 years old. He's been prepping since before prepping was cool. Enough food, fuel and ammo in that to sustain him for at least 5 years. I like the guy but if the SHTF I sure hope he gets sick. My other neighbors are all hunters or gun nuts who I'm sure have more in their pantries and shops then most urban preppers have stocked up. Some of them we've already made plans to help each other out within reason. I've mapped fruit trees and berry plants, places that hold mushrooms and areas that hold fish and game. For the most part I'd say we're in a perfect area, besides the sometimes harsh weather, for waiting out any type of storm. Unfortunately my family of 5 has absolutely no preps, no food, no ammo, and will have absolutely nothing to offer anyone. I can guarantee you I'll be making a trip to the soup kitchen along with everyone else so that everyone else understands that we are completely helpless, unprepared, and have nothing to offer if the SHTF.
    It's not so much my area and the locals that I'm worried about co-existing with. I've read on a few forums and even had a co-worker tell me that should the SHTF in the urban areas that they plan on bugging out to my area. It's good to have dreams but I find them to be unrealistic. First off I imagine that the highways could possibly be un-navigable due to being clogged with cars from either running out of gas, disabled vehicles from an EMP, destroyed from an earthquake or road blocks. Now if "outsiders" were to start heading this way I imagine (okay, maybe it's a sick apocalyptic fantasy) they would not be welcome. I would think a lot of people, myself included, would take up arms to keep people away. It's good to be in a position to help people but people bugging out this far are for the most part completely helpless, unprepared and will only act as locust until the goods are gone and it's time to move on.
    Geez, after typing this I don't think anyone really knows if they live in a good area until after something happens. It's called the SHTF for a reason

41Slinger likes this.
  14. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

We must have been typing at the same time. I didn't read this until I got done adding my two cents to this thread. That last part of my post wasn't directed towards anyone in particular. You would be welcome but it will cost you a platinum membership.

15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Yup!!

Would take 1 day to close all the access roads and secure them, about two months for the unprepared to be rounded up and sent packing, then; the entire city is ours!!

16. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Reason I said that was because I know a few people up that way, and I'd be in a better position to cross the river to Washington, where my family is (though 40 or so miles North). I am certain crossing the river down here near the bridges would be impossible.

17. RoneKiln

RoneKiln Western Washington Active Member

A large number of my neighbors are elderly men that served in the South Vietnamese Army alongside US troops, and then immigrated here afterwards. At least one of them started as a scout when he was twelve years old. I'm pretty sure that even in their old age they are more dangerous with a piece of bamboo than I am with a gun. Luckily they like me and we look out for each other a lot. So I don't think they'd kill me in my sleep. Most of us have decent sized gardens that could be easily expanded in bad times.

My greater concern is fresh water in the long term. There's a year round stream within easy bike ride, but every reasonable route goes through residential areas that could easily be sealed off by nervous members of those neighborhoods. I could easily negotiate with reasonable people for access, but bad times easily make normally reasonable people anything but reasonable.

18. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

My location is not good, have been trying to sell this place and find a different place futher out and more defendable.

19. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

where I live, I think I am bubblegummed. maybe 120 people, 50 or so precent hispanic and of those alot are good, hard working people but there are alot of the rap music listening, younger ones that could be a real problem if something happens. So, for me, its either turn the house into a fortress, or getting the hell out of dodge which I am not really ready for.

20. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Neighbors that don't prep and don't arm themselves are also good for something. They make for easier targets aka cannon fodder for the bad guys, marauders and thugs.