JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
a lot of talk about storing food and what weapons to have.
but what about your physical condition? what if you had to bug out on foot? could you run 5 or more miles without stopping? wile loaded down with 3 days worth of supplies?

lets face it odds are your body is not ready for a SHTF event.

so what are you going to do about it if anything?
what places do you need improvement on most?

Not this evening no......Way too many Christmas cookies and what must've been a pound and a half of Christmas ham.....

I'll be alright again tomorrow...

I live in a small city and i walk everywhere that I can..

W44

Physical strength? A hearty 'yes'.
Walk a 40 mile trail with a 50+/- pound kit in 10 hours? Yes. (And do it again the next day? Are you kidding?)
Sprint 2 miles in 12 minutes on a straight track? Most assuredly not :s0114: .

Keith

That is a good point as if the shtf, most of us will be on foot. If you have fuel you will still have to deal with jammed roads. Can you run from the middle of your garden to cover and be able to hold a rifle steady enough to shot a target the size of a milk jug before it shoots you?

That is a good point as if the shtf, most of us will be on foot. If you have fuel you will still have to deal with jammed roads. Can you run from the middle of your garden to cover and be able to hold a rifle steady enough to shot a target the size of a milk jug before it shoots you?

Give me a real life scenario where you have to worry about a milk jug shooting at you :s0114:

The person shooting at you is prone using a tree for cover. Actually the target is more the size of a clay, so I was being generous. How big a target would you provide if it were you finding food for your family?

a lot of talk about storing food and what weapons to have.
but what about your physical condition? what if you had to bug out on foot? could you run 5 or more miles without stopping? wile loaded down with 3 days worth of supplies?

lets face it odds are your body is not ready for a SHTF event.

so what are you going to do about it if anything?
what places do you need improvement on most?

Odds are that you will reach the age or medical condition where you aren't able to run 5 miles, or conform to other assorted BS "bug out" criteria seemingly important when you get out of boot camp. You may be in "running condition" but is every member of your family?

Odds are that you will still feel strongly about survival, firearms, etc. and will have a plan to do your best in every situation you could find yourself. Running 5 miles down the road with 3 days of supplies isn't necessarily going to put you in a better place... just get you someplace where you will have to fight in an exhausted condition.

I think there are far more important considerations to preparing for potential SHTF situations than "bugging out".

I don't think I can run flat out for 5 miles. Jog maybe...

I can hike up and down steep mountains for 10+ no problem though! :s0155:

Sure, just drop to kneeling.

Give me a real life scenario where you have to worry about a milk jug shooting at you :s0114:

Oh, it's at least as likely as any "SHTF" scenario where you have to "bug out" inna woods or whatever the heck people think they are going to be doing. :rolleyes:

I run to and from work, which is 4 days a week. it's only 2 miles 1 way, but there's a few hills, which helps. Sometimes i'll do it with a 15lb-ish pack on if i have to take uniforms to work. I have enough strength to lift 50lb objects all day and carry them around the ship, but i definitely need to build more. My back took a crap on me 2 years ago, so i've been working with it to make it behave. My family is in good health, but not built to travel on foot. My son is 3, and while energy abounds, he's usually calling it quits after a 3 mile hike or so. My daughter is 5 months old, and has yet to reach the self propelled stage. My wife works out more than me, but can't run long distances. Long story short, WSHTF we're not running to the hills with 150lb backpacks on. I'm more concerned with building core strength and endurance to perform all the manual labor involved in a grid down situation. Mental strength is just as important in my opinion. once you've worked all day and have to possibly stand watch over your family at night, things get taxing and situational awareness deteriorates quickly. But, I digress. That's a subject for another thread.

craft-a-birdfeeder-out-l.jpg

Bring it!

Crossfit nearly everyday, a lifetime of climbing, skiing, kayaking in places off the grid and five years of college rowing. It all goes to sh*t when I tore my acl on Wednesday. First major injury in 35 years. Right now I feel like I might as well have a gut and bad lungs.

Richard

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top