JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The following statement was used in the news report by KATU in Portland regarding yesterday's vote on concealed carry.

'Opponents said it would force states with tough concealed weapon permit restrictions to let in gun carriers from states that give permits to convicted criminals, minors and people with no firearms training'.

Are there any States that allow legal ownership and/or carry of firearms who are convicted criminals, minors and people with no firearms training? :confused:

Frog.

Not that I'm aware of, but its a smart tactic to say it. Anyone who is ignorant about guns and gun laws would probably read that statement and take it as cold hard fact. They would then change their view of gun control and possibly vote against concealed carry permits based on that incorrect information.

Sounds to me like dirtball tactics.

Not that I'm aware of, but its a smart tactic to say it. Anyone who is ignorant about guns and gun laws would probably read that statement and take it as cold hard fact. They would then change their view of gun control and possibly vote against concealed carry permits based on that incorrect information.

Sounds to me like dirtball tactics.

I agree here - it's just standard leftist smear tactics.

I agree here - it's just standard leftist smear tactics.

Yup---with just enough truth to it to make it plausible.

Criminals. Yes, they issue permits to criminals. I'm one--couple of
speeding tickets, broke the law, plead guilty. They didn't say
"convicted felons"

Minors---not sure on this one, but the age of majority varies from state
to state. I suppose that someone could get a permit in state "A" at 18,
and use it in state "B" where they would be a minor until 21?

No firearms training. This is a sticky one. Standards are all over
the board, from practically nothing to just classroom work to actually
having to show that you can hit a target.

So was the Oregonian factual? Well--yes--kind of, in a slanted liberal
sort of way. It's the Oregonian--what were you expecting?:s0114:

The following statement was used in the news report by KATU in Portland regarding yesterday's vote on concealed carry.

'Opponents said it would force states with tough concealed weapon permit restrictions to let in gun carriers from states that give permits to convicted criminals, minors and people with no firearms training'.

Are there any States that allow legal ownership and/or carry of firearms who are convicted criminals, minors and people with no firearms training? :confused:

Frog.

I believe that the "Opponents" stance is not on restrictions per se but more on requirements (e.g. taking course or "X" many hours and/or shooting test of ability).

Like I live in WA but Oregon doesn't recognize my CPL because in WA I don't have to take a course or go through the hoops of many other states.

Just qualify and pay.

It would of been nice if the bill had passed.

Yup---with just enough truth to it to make it plausible.

Criminals. Yes, they issue permits to criminals. I'm one--couple of
speeding tickets, broke the law, plead guilty. They didn't say
"convicted felons"

Pleading guilty or being convicted of speeding tickets DOES NOT make you a convicted ciminal, its merely an infraction that you plead quilty too... unless of course you were charged with speeding "in the extreme", then THAT is reckless public endangerment and IS a crime. :winkkiss:

Bloomberg from New York said the same thing. He opposed the legislation because he did not want criminals to carry concealed weapons. Hello.... concealed handgun permits are not issued to criminals. Typical political tactics.

Frog.
But if this bill had passed, Oregon would be obligated to honor the permit of any state that did so. Seems like an unwise concession of state sovereignty compelled by federal edict. I'm opposed to such infringments on state sovereignty and don't want the New York legislature, authorized by the federal government, to tell Oregon who gets to carry concealed in our state. I say let's make that decision ourselves.

I heard that there is a bill that will make it so that my drivers license isn't accepted in other states unless that state has reciprocity with my state or I take a class, apply and wait for my out of state license to drive there. This is really going to put a damper on those that work in washington and live in Oregon or visa versa isn't it?

</sarcasm>

I heard that there is a bill that will make it so that my drivers license isn't accepted in other states unless that state has reciprocity with my state or I take a class, apply and wait for my out of state license to drive there. This is really going to put a damper on those that work in washington and live in Oregon or visa versa isn't it?

</sarcasm>

:s0114::s0112::s0114::s0112:

Seriously,

This bill did not infringe on states powers. It merely allowed those of us with a concealed weapons license to travel to/through other states without having to disarm ourselves. We would just have to follow the laws of that state while we were there. Just as our drivers license allows us to drive through other states as long as we abide by the vehicle codes of that particular state. If you decided to move to another state permanently then you would have to apply for a license in that state. There were many false statements about residents of one state going to another state to get a carry permit --that would not have been able to happen. All the states rules/laws regarding permits would have remained as they were. Just as you can not reside in one state and obtain a drivers license in another state.

Now this summer when I travel to the Peoples Republic of California I am forced to make a choice-disarm and risk my family's safety or remain armed and risk a prison sentence. I know the criminals in Cali will be kind to us.

What other amendments to the Constitution are only good in some states and not others. Are my 4th amendment rights different in NY than in OR? So why should my 2nd amendment be. I know this bill was not perfect but it was a step in the right direction.

rant over :D

But if this bill had passed, Oregon would be obligated to honor the permit of any state that did so. Seems like an unwise concession of state sovereignty compelled by federal edict. I'm opposed to such infringments on state sovereignty and don't want the New York legislature, authorized by the federal government, to tell Oregon who gets to carry concealed in our state. I say let's make that decision ourselves.

Exercising your 2nd amendment rights is not a State sovereignty issue nor is it a federal issue, it is a constitutional issue.

We either stand together in this issue as a country and decide our rights as a whole in one court (SCOTUS) or we let ourselves be divided by states and have many courts and many politicians with many agendas and no constitutional code erode our rights on many fronts!

Equal gun rights for every qualifying citizen regardless of state, anything less is tyranny.

Don't lose focus!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads