JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've reloaded for a lot of years and only recently started getting primer cup separations when depriming. A couple dozen in this last batch of 38spl, mostly Federal brass.... but 9mm is doing it too. Only similarity is Small Pistol Primers.

Tight pockets? Weak cups? What gives....

20180413_131906.jpg

Range pickup...could be any brand as far as I know.
Then it would be Very hard to tell. To the best of my knowledge, Remington is the only brand that has "Brass" colored Primers. So, that might be the answer. Remington QC has been slipping lately but I'm just guessing.

Then it would be Very hard to tell. To the best of my knowledge, Remington is the only brand that has "Brass" colored Primers. So, that might be the answer. Remington QC has been slipping lately but I'm just guessing.

I have some PMC nontoxics that are brass colored.

Strange, I have never had this happen before, or seen or heard of such a thing.

Mixed head stamp range pick up brass you say?

Could have been reloaded previously using some inferior primer or the like and you were the lucky guy to pick them up maybe?

Have you had this happen with any regularity on your hand loads or known factory once fired brass?

Maybe an anomaly to your specific decapping procedure or equipment?

Strange, I have never had this happen before, or seen or heard of such a thing.
Neither have I. You mentioned having cleaned the cases before depriming. How dirty were they? Reason is if they have been laying outside for any length of time perhaps corrosion caused the primer cups to adhere to the brass tighter.

Cleaned mixed headstamp range pickup...happened more with Federal headstamp in 38spl but was pretty random in 9mm. One in the pic is military which could be crimped and I suppose some could be sealed even though I tumbled them. It's happened probably 50 times between the two calibers in the last 5k.

They could be factory rounds or someone's reloads, I have no way of knowing. I don't think it's happened with my reloads but can' be 100% positive. Just started happening in the last 2 months and I've been reloading for 10+ years.

I decap and resize on a trusty and faithful xl650.

Neither have I. You mentioned having cleaned the cases before depriming. How dirty were they? Reason is if they have been laying outside for any length of time perhaps corrosion caused the primer cups to adhere to the brass tighter.

Outdoor range so it's possible. However the Federal looked pretty new and I've definitely ran dirtier brass without problems over the years. The military case in the pic is the only primer to actually even move a bit before ripping apart, all the others don't appear to have budged at all.

:eek: Never seen such a thing. I've probably decapped around 5000 casings on a RCBS single stage, in the last 7 years. Mixed head stamps brass I had bought used, shot myself, from new and my own re loaded, and picked up in the forest and at the range. Been using CCI, Tula and Remington primers. Never seen such a thing!

Hope this isn't The Gov'ment trying to stop us reloaders from reloading?

Try this (if you care to invest the time!) soak some of the brass in a pan in hot water, dish soap and lemon juice for about an hour. Rinse, dry in the oven and try depriming it while the brass is still warm. Post the results if you do this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top