JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
His words from an article:

This involved the incident where I drew my firearm in response to a gang of thugs coming after me. I didn't even fire a round, as simply drawing was enough force to get the mob to back away and leave me alone. I didn't harm so much as a fly. I was the one targeted, attacked, tried to get away to avoid further altercation, and ultimately acted to defend myself against what I considered unlawful force and imminent unlawful force being used against me by a gang of masked thugs.

I just watched the video. SO - were they 'coming after him' or just moving in his direction? I AM IN NO WAY 'SIDING' WITH THE PROTESTERS but it appeared to me they were just in the street, some maybe moving his way but they did NOT appear to be 'coming after him'.

'I didn't harm so much as a fly. I was the one targeted, attacked, tried to get away'

Oh sniff, sniff. I hope he got the hug he wanted from someone. He was not attacked (not even surrounded) and had plenty of unencumbered room behind him to get away if he wanted to. There was nobody behind him. He was way out of his league and should never have been there. Heck I have seen TV news reporters in more dangerous situations than him in some riot situations.
IIRC, the same guy who had broken his collarbone and smashed his expensive camera equipment several months earlier was leading a group of Antifa "enforcers" after him. So he had very strong reason to fear for his safety.

IIRC, the same guy who had broken his collarbone and smashed his expensive camera equipment several months earlier was leading a group of Antifa "enforcers" after him. So he had very strong reason to fear for his safety.
Maybe true, but Oregon law requires to essentially shoot the assailant to claim self defense. IOW, brandishing is a crime (called "menacing" in the O.R.S.) as in the mind of the legislature, you do not pull a gun on someone unless you have to shoot them in clearly-articulable self-defense. Stating "you didn't have to fire a shot" is essentially admitting your guilt to the charge of menacing. Sadly, this poor fellow learned the hard way.

Other states take a more reasoned approach. For example, in AZ -- another state in which I hold a permit -- what is known as "defensive display" is lawful as long as you can articulate the requisite reasonable fear. The reasoning is it would be better for you to resolve a violent situation without ventilating your assailant.

This situation will be hard in a court of law in the blue states of Oregon and Wash. We have prosecutor's that turn a blind eye to actions that should be punishable by current laws. Woke rights have free'd previously those who have broken OUR laws for the betterment of the social left. Mr. shooter had ample time to retreat. He, she, they could have ran away from the situation as the proud boy member had a close range weapon, and was over 21 foot away, with an obstacle between. The use of a ranged weapon will be hard to justify when that distance is over 21 foot, except inPlease help me understand the "21 our states that allow vigilantes to run the court system. Had there been footage of the PB member beating an asshoole antifa member with the melee weapon prior to that, then maybe it could stand up.
Not a lawyer, but play one on TV….

Use sensible voting practices this next election and return Oregon to the sensible free state it used to be! Vote down "kate brown".
Help me understand any relationship between any use of deadly force law and the 21 foot rule (Teuller Rule)

Thank you,

JF

It has been proven that an attacker with a knife can strike before a pistol can be drawn and fired, inside of 21 foot. Some states have a rule you must flee if you can, before using lethal force. The 21 foot rule could be used as a base line for the decision to shoot/ not shoot when attacked by an assailant with a melee weapon. It is obvious that the antifa punk was over 21 foot, thus in the eyes of the court would have time to flee vs firing his weapon. But he will never get charged in a blue state that defunds police and gives a pass to punks.

I am impressed that the antifa puke was able to make a hit on the PB guy. Firing from a one handed stance. It looks like 4-5 shots were fired. Where are the rest of the rounds?
If I were on a jury, I would be looking at the distance between the shooter that was in fear for his life, or others, and whom was around the "attacker" at the time of bullet ignition. By your "cropped" video, there were no "innocents" or people in eminent danger when the man dressed in black discharged his firearm. None in the screen. Like I said, not an attorney, don't play one on TV. Love your handle, Grim is one of my favorite shows! And filmed in portland!

I hate to say it, but I would have to charge the PB with the melee weapon with menacing or intimidation too. The video is hard to see if he made contact, so brandishing? Come on Portland, re-fund the police, kick your lame bubblegum woke city officials out and bring in someone who will take control over the crime again. I used to love to come there and know my family was safe, but not now.

I hate to say it, but I would have to charge the PB with the melee weapon with menacing or intimidation too. The video is hard to see if he made contact, so brandishing? Come on Portland, re-fund the police, kick your lame bubblegum woke city officials out and bring in someone who will take control over the crime again. I used to love to come there and know my family was safe, but not now.
Portland is indeed a smoldering pile of crap, but this was Olympia.

I am impressed that the antifa puke was able to make a hit on the PB guy. Firing from a one handed stance. It looks like 4-5 shots were fired. Where are the rest of the rounds?
If I were on a jury, I would be looking at the distance between the shooter that was in fear for his life, or others, and whom was around the "attacker" at the time of bullet ignition. By your "cropped" video, there were no "innocents" or people in eminent danger when the man dressed in black discharged his firearm. None in the screen. Like I said, not an attorney, don't play one on TV. Love your handle, Grim is one of my favorite shows! And filmed in portland!
I know exactly where this shooting occurred, and I can tell you that touching off a handful of rounds in that direction is wildly irresponsible.

The fact that the round he connected with was an ankle shot would indicate to me that his shooting style was " little kid with a cowboy gun".

If he pulled any of the errant shots high, they went through a busy intersection on a one way street.
Admittedly, I've avoided downtown Olympia for years, but that area typically has plenty of foot and vehicle traffic. Multiple occupied buildings in line of fire too.

The video is from a security camera mounted in the overhead cover of the bus station

Not self defense. No way.
Group 1 : Antifa / BLM
Group 2 : Proud Boys
[edit 1] Note multiple members of group 1 have sticks, clubs and bats. [/edit]
  1. Video in post 24 shows hoodie boy lagging back as group 1 is escaping up the bus ramp.
    [edit 2] Have noted this in video gaming culture: noobs, when they acquire a powerful weapon, will get themselves into greater trouble than their skill will handle, thinking their weapon will protect them. Seems the same behavior / mentality translates into real life. [/edit]
  2. Group 2 converges on group 1. Hoodie boy gets whacked with a stick, escapes into the garden growth.
  3. Two seconds later, a helmeted group 1 co-conspirator is helping pull hoodie boy out of the growth as group 1 double-times it up the ramp. It does not appear that any weapon was passed between them.
  4. Hoodie boy slows and veers to the right. Left arm pulls up sweatshirt, right arm pulls weapon from IWB 4 O'Clock position.
  5. Group 2 continues slowly walking up ramp as Group 1 continues putting distance between them, > 20' at this point.
  6. Shooter takes deliberate aim with weapon, appears to be a compact polymer unit. Fires at least four shots. The time to take aim is what one would expect would take to line up sights.
Right handed shooter, probably heavy trigger. Low and left. MIght even be the type of pistol sight where you cover the target, rather than sit it on top, causing aim to be even lower.
Toese is lucky.

Last Edited:
^^^^^^

I think a few are having a visual perspective issue watching the video of shooter.

There is no incline on that property, in fact it's flat ground °360 for a half mile at least.

The transit security camera has some "fisheye " effect , probably to get maximum coverage of the area.

Not arguing any of your points made , just adding information about the physical scene.

$10 says they'll never catch this guy.

They've caught some of them.
I was wrong. FMTT.

-Varela%20-%20Benjamin%20-%20Sept%2027%202021%20cr.jpg

Caught because the police were able to ID his girlfriends hand tattoo

FAUWe-uUUAUEWLb?format=jpg.jpg

Last Edited:

View attachment 1040597

Caught because the police were able to ID his girlfriends hand tattoo

View attachment 1040598
Man , that search for his stolen bike sure took a dark turn.

I couldn't tell WTF was going on in either video and ran out of patience after 1 view each.
Without regard to either side, l think my question stands alone:
The distance gained and stopping to turn around is what gives me hesitancy that it was an imminent deadly threat.
In an SYG state, how far is far enough? If your gassed, do you need to prove it to the jury? At that point, do you even have the capability to engage in so-called mutual combat effectively? Will they conclude that a lack of overall fitness qualifies as a mitigating factor in a disparity of force defense?

It looked like the Kenosha Kid (who's name escapes me at the moment) ran like Hell and seemed justified in putting down multiple armed attackers but is still being charged. I realize that case has some extraordinary political pressures, but so will this (or any other SD claim). Does just being involved in this kind of "demonstration" put you at extra risk of being prosecuted by way of willingly putting yourself at risk?

(ETA; Kyle Rittenhouse)

Sorry, but this video made me LOL:

"This video shows Benjamin Varela on Sept. 23, 2021 after his arrest for graffiti as he is further arrested for first-degree assault."

"You're under arrest for graffiti!"
"Yeah! And now you're double-arrested even more!"
"Yeah! What he said!"
"You're like, twice as arrested as you were when you got here"
"YEAH!"

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class