JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Show us in HB1240, exactly, where a pin and weld thread protector is allowed to circumvent the threaded barrel definition. Otherwise, this is false and dangerous advice.
If the threaded muzzle is no longer threaded that is one less feature, because it is not designed to attach anything. There is a second potential "feature" on this rifle however.

FE493A74-FEEE-465B-A616-AF1CEA374364.jpeg

Well… I am now the proud maybe (probably not) owner of a Gewehr 43. I'll see what I can work out with the seller and get on the phone with my FFL in the morning. Will keep everyone posted on what happens!

If the threaded muzzle is no longer threaded that is one less feature, because it is not designed to attach anything. There is a second potential "feature" on this rifle however.

View attachment 1405824
I fail to see any language which states that a P&W thread protector will negate the "threaded barrel" definition. You're dealing with the Washington State Gestapo, not the Benevolent Society of Logic and Reason. If they wanted to include the P&W thread protector as an acceptable solution, it would have to be included in the text of the Bill. Of course, just cutting the threads off would work.
Bonus: The BATFE P&W provision is an administrative rule, and not the law, regarding barrel length and the NFA. It also hasn't been around forever. I'm surprised that it hasn't been rescinded by the current Potato in Chief and his minions.

Last Edited:
I fail to see any language which states that a P&W thread protector will negate the "threaded barrel" definition. You're dealing with the Washington State Gestapo, not the Benevolent Society of Logic and Reason. If they wanted to include the P&W thread protector as an acceptable solution, it would have to be included in the text of the Bill. Of course, just cutting the threads off would work.
Bonus: The BATFE P&W provision is an administrative rule, and not the law, regarding barrel length and the NFA. It also hasn't been around forever. I'm surprised that it hasn't been rescinded by the current Potato in Chief and his minions.
Hmm.. What's interesting is that it says- threaded barrel designed TO ATTACH. Which tends to make me think that user and monkeybutler might be correct here. If you cant attach anything to it, does it really meet the ENTIRE definition as referenced in HB 1240? Furthermore, I think one could even argue that this specific threaded barrel on this firearm was exclusively designed for blank firing adapters- as this rifle was designed generally long before detachable muzzle brakes and suppressors were in common use. Interesting topic and definitely something I could see and debate both ways. The more I read this bill, the more I realize that in fact, it really does ban nearly every semi auto centerfire rifle in existence.

With regards to the status, Ive done some research and apparently Sen. Dhingra had made assurances during debate on Fri/Sat that if an individual begins paperwork on the firearm, they will still receive it after the bill is signed. This has lead me to believe that I have 3 possible options… Albeit 2 and 3 are a stretch…

1. Reimbuse seller for listing fees and call it a loss
2. Check with my FFL and if good- Have the rifle overnighted to my FFL, fill out paperwork and pray that I still get the call on day 10
3. Pay for the gun— ask if the seller to hold the rifle and pray every day for an injunction in the near term

There is a legal way to
Just because you fail to see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Where are the threads? Once the thread cap is pinned and welded there aren't any threads. The statutory definition is what matters. Not what one wants the result to be.

I don't think the threads are an issue. They aren't designed for a suppressor, muzzle break, ect… and they are likely of a thread pitch one could argue is also not designed for current offerings of such things.

The hand guard on a semi-auto rifle that accepts magazines is probably the only issue.

It would seem reasonable that you could just remove the upper hand guard and then the rifle would be good to transfer.
Same as they did with high cap magazines.

I'm no lawyer, but the bill says it can't have a hand guard. It doesn't say it can't be "designed" to use a hand guard. So as long at it doesn't have one on it, you should be fine in my view.

You'd probably need to give the chunk of wood to a friend though. Cause under HB 1240 a chunk of wood can turn an everyday rifle into a "Assault Weapon". And you can't own parts that could do such. So make sure if you whittle, you do so carefully as to not make any Assault weapon parts.

I don't think the threads are an issue. They aren't designed for a suppressor, muzzle break, ect… and they are likely of a thread pitch one could argue is also not designed for current offerings of such things.

The hand guard on a semi-auto rifle that accepts magazines is probably the only issue.

It would seem reasonable that you could just remove the upper hand guard and then the rifle would be good to transfer.
Same as they did with high cap magazines.

I'm no lawyer, but the bill says it can't have a hand guard. It doesn't say it can't be "designed" to use a hand guard. So as long at it doesn't have one on it, you should be fine in my view.

You'd probably need to give the chunk of wood to a friend though. Cause under HB 1240 a chunk of wood can turn an everyday rifle into a "Assault Weapon". And you can't own parts that could do such. So make sure if you whittle, you do so carefully as to not make any Assault weapon parts.
Good considerations- I was pondering a lot of those things myself. God forbid you want to protect your hands from getting cooked. Lol. There are very few firearms that dont have handguards.

I did not see C&R guns in list of exclusions.
Any opinions on how/if 1240 affects C&R holders and transfers of firearms that are otherwise eligible under C&R guidelines? From what I can make of all this, it sounds like any C&R firearm that otherwise meets the new definition of "assault weapon" couldn't be transferred even if both buyer and seller hold C&R licenses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top