JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My neighbor asked me not to long ago if I knew how to field dress and such. Basically he was asking me if I could help an elderly lady who has some kind of crops. What? I don’t know yet.

My neighbor is under the impression that if even an elk is damaging to the crops his elderly farmer lady friend can shoot it any time of year.

I still have lots of questions for them but the first question I need answered is, Is that okay?

but the first question I need answered is, Is that okay?
That would be a big NO, that is not ok but you NEED to ask the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Game - no one else. Make sure you get names and dates of who you talk to and do nothing until you get it in writing. (if at all) Under certain circumstances destructive animals have been authorized for removal but I highly recommend you start with the F & G Dept.

That is a question you NEED to ask the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Game - no one else. Make sure you get names and dates of who you talk to and do nothing until you get it in writing. (if at all) Under certain circumstances destructive animals have been authorized for removal but I highly recommend you start with the F & G Dept.

+1....:s0155:

In Oregon the ODFW issues LOP tags, Land Owner Permit ...
Just going out and sniping a troublesome game animal can get the shooter and all involved in some serious trouble...

That would be a big NO, that is not ok but you NEED to ask the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Game - no one else. Make sure you get names and dates of who you talk to and do nothing until you get it in writing. (if at all) Under certain circumstances destructive animals have been authorized for removal but I highly recommend you start with the F & G Dept.

+1 its called a degradation hunt in oregon and you have to have a permit

An elderly lady that has, "crops?" I would have to suggest that Ethel, just put a fence around her rose bushes.
If you get involved, you could lose not only your gun, hauling equipment (truck), the rights to hunt in the future, the animal, a fine, among others, you could see jail time as well.

Lol I knew somebody would fix that.

Anything you use in connection with the incident can be taken from you PLUS a loss in freedoms

An elderly lady that has, "crops?" I would have to suggest that Ethel, just put a fence around her rose bushes.
If you get involved, you could lose not only your gun, hauling equipment (truck), the rights to hunt in the future, the animal, a fine, among others, you could see jail time as well.

A FENCE???? Yeah, right. An elk will not even notice a standard three strand barbed wire fence. I have seen five foot high, seven stranded (with stays) barbed wire fence shredded by hungry elk getting into a stack yard.

Yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,, I know. It is kind of comical to consider just what could piss off an o'l Granny. Not much anymore I am sure. But an Elk munching on her roses just might do it.

Wildlife Division: License, Permits and Applications - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

Who needs a Wildlife Control Operator permit?

Businesses engaged in wildlife control operation (removing animals causing damage, creating a public nuisance, or posing a public heath risk) on behalf of private property owners or others for a fee need a WCO permit.

A private property owner that chooses to lawfully remove an animal from his or her property needs an ODFW permit for certain animals, but not a WCO permit. Such permits are free of charge and can be obtained by contacting the nearest ODFW office. (http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/directory/local_offices.asp)

Wildlife Division: License, Permits and Applications - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

Who needs a Wildlife Control Operator permit?

Businesses engaged in wildlife control operation (removing animals causing damage, creating a public nuisance, or posing a public heath risk) on behalf of private property owners or others for a fee need a WCO permit.

A private property owner that chooses to lawfully remove an animal from his or her property needs an ODFW permit for certain animals, but not a WCO permit. Such permits are free of charge and can be obtained by contacting the nearest ODFW office. (Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife - Local Offices Directory)

So you can remove a problem animal, but you have to have a permit, which is free? Correct, is that how thats read? So basically big brother just wants to know what you're doing. As far as the old lady, everyone is eager to jump on the poaching bandwagon. Is she subsisting off of the plants the supposed problem animal is ruining? Would she use the meat? I know that noone on this board would be in the situation of needing extra food, or to simply prevent your current food plot from being raided. In this day and age, she can just go to big brother and get her help, instead of helping herself, or asking another citizen to help her. Sounds more like neighbor helping neighbor to me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top