JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I knew an old man who could fell any tree within 6" of where he wanted it to. As it would be going over he stayed in there and controlled it by cutting more on either side to guide. That was never a problem for him and he didn't worry about it kicking out and leveling him.

Extremely large ca hone esse'
Wind wasn't a factor or he wouldn't have done it that day.
Probably had no other choice,(he couldn't climb and didn't have money for a climber)
Plenty of knowledge,but if the tree was a stand alone,it was probably balanced out nicely up top
Did I say huge balls?
Oh and the shed was empy and that end of the house was the kids rooms?
Over confidence doesn't add into a logger equations. The trees will always go where they want. If it grew twisted ,well...
Nice work,I never would have done that
Oh yeah,if it wasn't his place the liability clause was 100 pages

A long time ago, when I was young, shortly after the Flood had dried out....

I was asked to take a neighbors Cotton Wood tree down. I assembled all my gear.... Prompting the Ever so curious (and Bad) Neighbor to come out and ask what was going on... my good neighbor said this tree is sick, and we need to remove it, so it will not damage anything later on, if it fell.

Bad Neighbor complaining... because, you see, the tree was Right on her Side Yard Fence, and the Good Neighbors Front yard fence....

"You better not Damage my Fence, or I'll sue you"...

"I won't Mam, but Please stay in Your Yard so I will not be distracted...."

I then strapped on My Safety Belt, and Tree Spikes.... and went aloft.

"Do you think this is a Good Start"???? a Nod Yes. Falling Ropes into my Blocks, Set what seemed Proper, Wife on one Rope, Good Neighbor on the other, Lines Taught, and the saw buzzed.

Limb One, DOWN.

"You be Careful" (What can you DO with Bad Neighbors, its against the LAW to Shoot them)???? :confused:

Limb Two, Three and Four and I now had a clearing to drop the higher limbs... Up I went, at that Altitude, If I Hummed LOUD ENOUGH, I could ALMOST DROWN OUT BAD NEIGHBOR....

It took much thinking, to bring the North Limb, into the Southern "Front Yard", but I wanted all the limbs in the front: it was my Pay!!!!

Ropes Secured, Blocks in Place... and the Ladies literally at the End of their (100') ropes.... but still closer than I would prefer, Number Five let go, swung South and was lowered like it was tooth picks.... about 8 inches at the cut. Nice Helpers!

I climbed higher, dropped #6, 7, 8 of the south side of the tree.... I like the Sound of a Chain Saw, compared to Bad Neighbors Whiny Voice.

I came down a bit, and refixed my blocks, Did the ropes, for the next limb it was about 10/11 foot long. First cut made, I told them to tug hard, I saw the limb move, and hold... finishing cut, I watched that limb go down Like it was meant to be. Number Nine, on the ground.

Numbers 10, 11, And the final Cut were done, I was now able to stand on Tera Firma... The ropes lashed to the Top of Twelve foot of trunk.... I lined up to do the first cut.... and again asked for "all the Pull you Have" as it had to fall AWAY from neighbors Fence :eek: I had to Plunge cut for my Falling cut, and I only had six to eight inches for the tip to stick out, from Mrs Noise Maker.

Down... both fences untouched... and I had nearly half my wood supply for the Winter... Mrs. Noise Maker grumbled into her House.

philipism of the day... Some People are Never Pleased. :D

Whenever I cut down a tree (always small ones, I leave the big ones for the pros), I always screw up the back cut. I get it uneven/not level and it goes 90* to where I intended. It doesn't take much.

I spent years cutting my own fire wood, plus a 1:1 for the owner of the land... Then I built a two story Log Cabin...

But I will not say that I come close to qualifying as a "Logger"!

My first thing in doing a tree fall, is to circle the tree, 360 degrees, and decipher its LEAN. it will have one, but that can be controlled. Then, I decide where ~I Want~ it to fall!

As in the video, your friends are an axe & wedges, 2X4 wedges are Zero Cost! Minimum 10" long, from zero to 1 1/2 thick. I have only bought one Non Metal Wedge in all my life, I hit it with the Chain...

Use home made 2X4 wedges!

Your Starting cuts, the "Vee" should never be anything but Horizontal... And Perpendicular to direction of Fall.

Depending on Diameter, your falling Cut is a bit Higher, again HORIZONTAL.

If, and here is the Biggie.... IF YOUR TREE leans opposite of your fall, or even off intended line of Fall... Get a Wedge Set as early as possible, the way it leans, to direct it to intended fall zone. SET THAT WEDGE FREQUENTLY, DEEPER into your cut time.

Towards the end of the final CUT, The blade Should Always be parallel to the Vee Notch.

Cutting Slower, is faster because you get to pound that wedge, Or Second Wedge, beside Number One!!!

Wedging is the key, to Tree Lean!!!!!!!

Then Practice. Practice, PRACTICE!

Broad Leaf trees fall different than Evergreens. Check Weight of Branches on one side, versus "Lean"....

ABOVE ALL:

Safety:

Real Hard Hat.
Protect your eyes.

CREATE TWO ESCAPE PATHS:
45 degrees from intended direction of fall: All brush to ground level, is a Must. If you are ESCAPING, you will not be focused on the ground, Only upon that Open Path.

Pre Choose your Leaving path, in your mind.

This next will seem odd, I believe every good cutter does it, even if it's unconscious... Mentally GEAR UP for the cut, see yourself MAKING the perfect Cut!

I have had to use Wedges on my starting Cut, due to Lean...

That tree Fell exactly as intended.

Ending Advice: I learned my skills, by an ~Old Fogey~ Born in the woods, cut his first teeth in bark... In other words a Logger! If you Know One ask him to SHADOW you, as you cut the Tree... Be sure he knows you are Not asking him to Cut it for you, that sounds like WORK!

Be sure your cooler is stocked with his favorite Suds.

philip... Don't even Own a Chainsaw anymore.... My body will not take the punishment....

Nor do I desire to ABUSE my body any further...

TODAY is Exactly 30 days from my First Rotator Cuff Surgery, luckily my "Off Arm" went first... I can not shoot my favorite Long gun, for a Year.... Because I am left eye dominant, but I am healing good.... Maybe my Ten22 in a few more months...

philip... :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads