Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is this okay for CHL

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by bunnybunny, Jul 8, 2014.

1. bunnybunny

bunnybunny Washington Member

I am wondering if this would be accepted for CHL application. I got it in the state of CA so i'm not sure. My name is on it, it's just cut out of the picture.

Screen shot 2014-07-08 at 6.16.57 PM.png

2. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

For which state?

These are the rules for demonstrating competence in Oregon (ORS 166.291)

Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(A)Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B)Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C)Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D)Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E)Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F)Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G)Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

3. bunnybunny

Oregon CHL. Would letter B or C work? I did spend a hour doing safety and then 3-4 drawing and shooting.

4. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Probably a good chance it will work since it says "NRA certified instructor." I got mine in Washington county and they were very friendly. Like completely opposite of the DMV.

5. bunnybunny

I'm getting mine in Lake County and the woman on the phone seemed very nice. It does say "handgun safety" on the certificate. I just wasn't sure if it has to be an Oregon NRA certified instructor. That doesn't sound right in my head, but you never know now a days. I just want to make sure before I drive 12 hours that I have all my ducks in a row.

6. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

Class was NRA ran then it's done. NRA is a national thing. It doesn't mean you have to have an Oregon NRA Certified guy

7. Roger65

Roger65 Portland Active Member

My instructor told me course completion certificate was only good for a year in Oregon. You should call your county sheriff's office and ask

8. bunnybunny

from or-chl

In OR if you get a permit and let it expire, you do not have to retake the safety exam. I think your instructor is BSing you.

9. semperfi68to70

semperfi68to70 South Salem, Oregon Well-Known Member

It might. When I originally applied for mine I took them my P.O.S.T. firearms certificate from California and they readily accepted it.

10. bunnybunny

I'll call and ask just incase.