JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For airgun breech seals, o-rings, and spring-piston parachute seals, silicone oil is best. Over time, petroleum oils will attack seals causing them to split or disintegrate. The MSDS for Hoppe's 9 Oil shows it is petroleum.

A good source of pure silicone oil is a hobby shop, it's used in RC car shocks.

Thanks for the info.
I just picked up a mint Daisy Power-Line 880 for $5.00 that needs a rebuild because of the exact same oil issues you just described.
The instructions do not mention how or what to use on the rifle.
Here is what I found online regarding lubrication on airguns by a guy in Germany.

- TSI-301 HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED (NealJGuns)
- CROSMAN PELLGUN OIL HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED (JG Airguns)
- Daisy recommends 10-, 20- or 30-weight non-detergent, automotive motor oil (see manual for more info)

- I USED TO USE Choji oil. This non-detergent oil is especially made for sword care. It smells like cloves (but please do not buy common clove oil, it is NOT the same, even if sometimes choij oil is refered to as clove oil). It doesnt burn, doesnt get bad or gunk up, prohibits oxidation and should not attack the seals. In my opinion it is safe, but use at your own risk. (EDIT: Now I am using Crosman Pellgun oil)

Ok, I think I'll just end up ordering a kit from pyramyd air or something. Nobody local seems to carry a real airgun cleaning kit. I'm pretty sure wal-mart was a wash, and dick's had a .17hmr kit, but I'm pretty sure that had petro oil in it as well. Best bet is probably to just order a kit.

... Nobody local seems to carry a real airgun cleaning kit....

Because airguns don't need cleaning like a firearm. All they require is infrequent oiling of pivots and seals, and after every 5K rounds [+/-] drag a Kroiled patch on a string through the bore a few times. If you like to clean guns, an airgun will be boring.

Because airguns don't need cleaning like a firearm. All they require is infrequent oiling of pivots and seals, and after every 5K rounds [+/-] drag a Kroiled patch on a string through the bore a few times. If you like to clean guns, an airgun will be boring.

I'm aware of that, but nobody seems to carry the oil that's really meant for it either. Does the barrel ever need a solvent treatment to get the lead deposits out? And 1k rounds is a common recommendation I've heard from many shooters. What's a "Kroiled" patch? Or was that just a typo?

Here is some info from Kano Labs web page. They are the makers of Kroil " The oil that creeps"

Loosens and Lubricates.
Engineered to loosen frozen metal parts and provide silicone-enhanced lubrication. Kroil's high solvency penetrating oils first penetrate to one-millionth inch spaces to break the bond of rust and to provide lubrication at the first molecular level. This frees the frozen metal part. The dimethyl silicones then provide extra long-lasting lubrication and rust protection.

Another Kano product;
SiliKroil is not only good to loosen frozen metal parts but to supply extra lubrication in infinitely small spaces.

Silikroil is designed for use on frozen bearings, slides, gate valves, hinges, chains etc. The addition of Silicone to Kroil also enhances its water displacement qualities and improves its performance as a cutting oil.

To purchase this great product you must order direct from Kano Laboratories 1-800-311-3374

Use fishing line to pull a cleaning patch soaked with Kroil through the barrel. Change patches until clean.

I'm aware of that, but nobody seems to carry the oil that's really meant for it either. Does the barrel ever need a solvent treatment to get the lead deposits out? And 1k rounds is a common recommendation I've heard from many shooters. What's a "Kroiled" patch? Or was that just a typo?

Silicone oil = Local hobby shop, or...

TowerHobbies.com | Search Results

<broken link removed>

An airgun barrel does not lead up, the bores are typically quite smooth and there is no heat. Wet a patch with Kroil penetrating oil. KROIL - Brownells

Follow this thread, it might evolve into some interesting feedback:
TargetTalk :: View topic - bore cleaning 10m airguns

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top