JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whats the law on this? Would this legally be considered open carry? Asking for a friend.

Please move if wrong forum section.

20211027_135836.jpg

Thanks. So open carry means, it has to be identifiable as a firearm?

I mean... I always wondered, if you have a holster with a flap, like the army 1911 holsters, the firearm would technically be concealed in the holster and not clearly visible... so is there any clear line where concealed starts and open carry ends? Thinking knifes with pocket clip situation!?

i dont actually know, but i would guess the same criteria for other weapons would apply to guns... if you can see it, its open. if you cant, its concealed. pocket clips work for knives, why wouldnt holsters for guns?

but im just a dude on the interwebz

i dont actually know, but i would guess the same criteria for other weapons would apply to guns... if you can see it, its open. if you cant, its concealed. pocket clips work for knives, why wouldnt holsters for guns?

but im just a dude on the interwebz
Knives are not the same, nor do they have the same requirements, some more so, most less!

My advice is to look at your county's concealed permit requirements states as far as what is considered concealed ( if it states at all) and then look to see if the state has anything to say on it!

Partially correct. You can carry an empty, unloaded firearm while not having ammo on you (who comes up with this dumb crap man???)
Yeah, that's kind of what I was hinting at, but I wasn't sure on the verbiage. I know that Portland and Multnomah county has that same law. You can't even have ammo in a speed loader.

holster with a flap, like the army 1911 holsters, the firearm would technically be concealed in the holster and not clearly visible...
I once asked local police about this, the officer I talked to put it in the "legal advice" category and didn't have a definite answer

I once asked local police about this, the officer I talked to put it in the "legal advice" category and didn't have a definite answer
So if a Police officer can't say what the law is that they are supposed to enforce, I'd say I'd discredit this individual as someone irrelevant.

Last Edited:
So if a Police officer can't say what the law is that they are supposed to enforce, I'd say I'd discredit this individual as someone irrelevant.
cops will be the first to tell you they arent law experts.

then on the next traffic stop will argue with an informed citizen about the merits of their unlawful orders..

its a thing

then on the next traffic stop will argue with an informed citizen about the merits of their unlawful orders..

its a thing
Haha yeah seriously. Personally I think anybody that is supposed to enforce laws, should need some kind of legal degree so they know what and how to enforce. How can you enforce laws without knowing what they are???? Thats like... me saying I'm a carpenter but I have no clue!?

Anyway, the onlybthing I find on the topic is that it has to be visible. Nowhere dies it say how much!?

How can you enforce laws without knowing what they are?
Lawyers and judges aren't sure either, which is why they spend so much time studying, debating, interpreting, clarifying, and keeping track of existing laws and definitions. Doesn't help if new laws are passed with all sorts of vague and general terms in them. Cops aren't in the business of interpreting legal grey areas.

If @Ura-Ki wants to drop flaming bags of dog bubblegum out of his plane over a populated area, he has to take reasonable precautions to make sure it's safe, and not operate in a careless and reckless manner. What do these words mean? Nobody knows, except the lawyers once the cops finally catch him

Lawyers and judges aren't sure either, which is why they spend so much time studying, debating, interpreting, clarifying, and keeping track of existing laws and definitions. Doesn't help if new laws are passed with all sorts of vague and general terms in them. Cops aren't in the business of interpreting legal grey areas.

If @Ura-Ki wants to drop flaming bags of dog bubblegum out of his plane over a populated area, he has to take reasonable precautions to make sure it's safe, and not operate in a careless and reckless manner. What do these words mean? Nobody knows, except the lawyers once the cops finally catch him
Awe, Man, ya blew my cover, now I can't stealth bomb anyone with Flaming Doggie Doo, and I have such a surplus too!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top