Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

is this legal?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by badazzelanore, Jan 3, 2010.

1. badazzelanore

badazzelanore Silverdale, WA Member

2. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Yup, that would be a short barrelled rifle. It would be legal if you got a "tax stamp" for your G17. Otherwise, this is VERY illegal to just slap on your regular G17.

The same goes with the vertical grip in the front. Put that on your G17 and it is considered an AOW (all other weapons) by the BATF and will require a tax stamp also.

3. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

You would need a 16in barrel or a tax stamp to use that stock without breaking the law.

4. dragonsden73

dragonsden73 Salem, Oregun Active Member

I saw one listed yesterday I think on ARFCOM....man I'm glad I didn't buy it:paranoid:

5. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Lets see if anybody makes a 16" Glock barrel? Now it's a rifle, by the same laws, and you should be able to slap a stock on there. They have been making a 1911 .45 kit like that for years, with a stock and barrel combo.

6. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

I recall someone did sell a kit that included 16in barrels for the Glocks and 1911s. Have seen them listed in a long time but the barrels are out there to be had :)

7. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

8. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

So here's the fun questions.

If the rule is "once a rifle always a rifle" and you use a Mech-Tech conversion, can you ever go back to a standard pistol configuration again?

And if so, why is this different than a AR-15 pistol/rifle.

:D

9. 2zero6

2zero6 Covington New Member

10. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

11. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

12. 2zero6

2zero6 Covington New Member

Thanks for the heads up.

13. badazzelanore

14. SanBlas

SanBlas Silverdale,Wa Member

Check out hera-arms.com

15. badazzelanore

Well, since it is Illegal without paying double the cost of the gun to register I think I will pass. I guess any idiot willing to pay to "play" with somthing like that can have it. I would rather have two Glock's.

16. w_houle

w_houle Lincolnville New Member

Not a lawyer and the ATF may see things a bit differently, and ymmv, but...
    The carbine conversion of the Glock or 1911 isn't the same as the rifle/ pistol T/C or like an AR pistol due to not having the option to configure it with the rifle stock and pistol barrel. It's funny that I can put a conversion cylinder on a black powder gun, yet have it still be black powder upon returning it to original configuration, and the same for installing a registered auto sear to make a machine gun. It's an either/ or configuration that cannot configure to an illegal state and actually requires no modification of the actual gun part, so why should it's legal status as a pistol change simply because it wore some parts?