JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's what the Online Etymological Dictionary had as far as the origin of sniper:

sniper (n.); one who shoots from a hidden place," 1824, agent noun from snipe (v.). The birds were considered a challenging target for an expert shooter:

Snipe Shooting is a good trial of the gunner's skill, who often engages in this diversion, without the assistance of a dog of any kind; a steady pointer, however, is a good companion. ["Sportsman's Calendar," London, December 1818]

haha, really "noob"

My status of being new to this forum offends you? Or did i strike to close to a nerve that your fat *** doesnt want to get out of the house to shoot an animal? Tell you what, go strap on your drop leg holster don your CPL badge and do some laps around the block.

I wasn't looking at your post count.

As to the rest... I'll indulge you- I'm not fat, I'm quite thin. I run 30-45 miles a week, I climb mountains, and I don't carry a gun. I definitely don't have a CHP "badge," and my thigh-rig is in a box somewhere in the garage- I only used it for shooting events I used to put on at CRPC. Feel free to google my user name, which is my actual name, and verify these statements. My life is an open book.

I not only step out of the house when I hunt, but I step to about 5,000' foot level of the Oregon Cascades after a 10+ mile hike in with provisions for days out- that's how I know what I serious thing it was for those guys in the video to get to where they were to make that awesome shot. Perspective... which I felt you lacked, hence the "noob" comment.

It was only an extremely amusing coincidence that happened to be your first post on this board. Don't pay it no mind, though... I think you'll fit in here really well.

Sorry didnt read anything sorta just scanned through it. I did notice you justification of being in tip top shape running 10 miles a day or some other internet jargon bs that everyone else on here would like us to believe. But hey good for you buddy.

These posts always stir up emotions. To the original question is it hunting.....yes, with a caveat. I see hunting taking two distinct forms. One that has evolved with technological advancement and one that is based on evolutionary skill.

With enough access to funds the former is possible. Without the means you will not be able to afford the cutting edge equipment, ownership or access too lands to set up ranges to practice for years to be proficient at those ranges....not to mention the high end optics and rangefinders to be effective at those ranges. I have yet to own a rangefinder that can read that far out. My Leoupold will not do it.....that's a fact. Not complaining, but pointing out that it requires a bunch of time and assets that most "common" man would struggle with.

Then we move onto the latter. The ability to use ones primal skill to stalk a quarry using your evolutionary senses and skills. Sight, hearing, smells and the ability to read sign to get within an acceptable range to use "average" equipment that most can afford. Knowing how to use wind, topography, light, weather, etc....to increase your odds. Some consider it a higher accomplishment to use antique style weapons such as long bows or vintage muzzle loaders and to even get closer to the prey.

Close shots, long shots......semantics.....it's all hunting. Reality is most of us will fall into the second category mostly because of means and I think some of the animosity is based in that.....probably some jealousy involved?

Of course I'm probably full of shiat. :)

The dad in the video is promoting his firearm business "gunerks". Just look up his other You Tube videos.
For all we know, they could have been brought in with a helicopter or ridden horses up the back side of the ridge they were on.

i call's it "hunting". why?
i grew up shooting started shooting @1,000 yards about 11 or 12 hunted around 500 yards ranges and when i moved to oregon,
every one talked about shooting elk deer etc at 100 yards or less, i was all what???? that close just stab them :D

I was raised in the Ozarks. The only people that needed scopes to hunt deer had bad eyesight.

Interesting read through here. Seems like there's a bit of unnecessary disrespect happening. I personally would never call that sniping as that 12yr old is definitely not a trained sniper, but the technical origination of the word is unknown to me. let's call it "precision hunting". I certainly wouldn't have taken that shot because I know I could try and get closer in order to get a more humane kill with my shooting skills and equipment. However, if the guides and/or family members were confident they could get that particular 12yr old to make a 1375 yard shot, then go for it.

Just for bubblegums and giggles. Taken from Wikipedia:

The verb "to snipe" originated in the 1770s among soldiers in British India where a hunter skilled enough to kill the elusive snipe was dubbed a "sniper".[2] The term sniper was first attested in 1824 in the sense of the word "sharpshooter".[

I personally don't hunt like this. But I give the dad a lot of credit he had his son dry fire a few shots and if you watch the kid he doesn't flinch a bit. ( i didn't see one post that pointed that out, interesting ah) I bet he has fire a lot of rounds down range with that rifle. Nice shot just not for me or my son! To each there own!!

Long range target shooting, ok. Long range hunting, not ok in my mind. Too many things can happen form the time the firing pin drops until the bullet impacts. I want to ensure a quick kill, not a wound. Elk can run a loooooong way on a bad hit.

" Daddy, I just shot an elk at 1300 yards" , " It's ok son, next year you'll get closer". Just my .02

With good editing this could be a fake as well as far as distance . and like it was said now every moron seeing this will be taking irresponsible shots. and a lot of wounded elk lost.

With good editing this could be a fake as well as far as distance . and like it was said now every moron seeing this will be taking irresponsible shots. and a lot of wounded elk lost.

It could be but I doubt it, These are the people from one of the long range hunting shows. This was in one episode. Even if you don't agree or like it there pretty good with what they do.

It could be but I doubt it, These are the people from one of the long range hunting shows. This was in one episode. Even if you don't agree or like it there pretty good with what they do.

Well hot dog then, i'll make sure to put on my moron cap and bring a camera to make videos and start taking 1000+ yd shots at elk maybe i'll do it with a .223 just to show what a man i am, and I will be sure to only post the one where I actually find the dead animal and be sure to leave out any mention of videos where I never found the wounded animals that got away and went to waste.

(You know i am kidding right? cause i may have deleted the other post that was serious, but you'll never know :)

I would have been more impressed if the kid hit a jar of tannerlite at that distance

Well hot dog then, i'll make sure to put on my moron cap and bring a camera to make videos and start taking 1000+ yd shots at elk maybe i'll do it with a .223 just to show what a man i am, and I will be sure to only post the one where I actually find the dead animal and be sure to leave out any mention of videos where I never found the wounded animals that got away and went to waste.

(You know i am kidding right? cause i may have deleted the other post that was serious, but you'll never know :)

I would have been more impressed if the kid hit a jar of tannerlite at that distance

As long as you say so. :p

I am a varminter and some of my shots are taken at distance on small targets (ground squirrels). A friend accompanied me and I set myself up in an area with a 270-degree field of fire. As the day progressed, my friend commented that I was more a sniper than a hunter, and I understand his observation. We returned after a good weekend, and he invested in a heavy-barreled .223 rifle. It seems the relaxed, deliberate approach to shooting and the exercise of basic marksmanship principles involved in varminting appealed to him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top