JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While at Walmart on Friday I noticed the owner of a local gun shop in line at 0700 buying his three bricks of Remington 22LR. I was behind him and all 22 ammo was gone when I got to register. Upon walking to parking lot I noticed said owner recieving the 3 boxes of ammo each from the two people that were in line before him. When I went to his store the ammo was on the shelves marked up 200%. What do you guys think?

Is he a gouger? Or just finding a away to stock his shelves? I really didn't like how he brought in freinds to buy ammo for his shop....

I suspect this is the only way these smaller guys can keep any ammo on their shelves. It's gouging but it's also necessary to survive when the manufacturers are clearly favoring their larger customers.

It sucks that they are forced to do this but at the same time would you rather they just close down? Walmart is hardly a friend of the second amendment.

It doesn't make it right or wrong to note that retailers have been buying from other retailers and re-selling products for years. I know of a Nordstrom store that sent employee after employee to buy up a certain model of shoe from Macy's when both stores ran a sale on the same model at the same time. The idea being Nordstrom wanted to be the store which had the item in stock to sell to the real end-user customer. Deli and coffee shops routinely buy pre-packaged food at Costco (muffins, cookies, biscotti, etc) and re-sell the products with a big mark-up.

freaking redicourous he is what is wrong with our culture im all for making a buck but screwing over a guy that would have normally been able to drop into walmart and grab a brick to go shoot coke cans with his son for a reasonable price is despicable, not very christian of him

The local store up here is keeping the ammo they have in back to sell with a firearm.
Maybe he's just getting 22s for the guns he has for sale.Kinda sucks not having ammo for the guns you have in stock

Really?!

Of course no one expects him to sell at the same price. I would however expect him hot to wipe the shelves clean somewhere else so that others could have a chance to pay retail too.

I really hope people like that have that ammo sit on their shelves and the behavior drives him out of business. It's not gouging, but it is profiteering.

Really?!

Of course no one expects him to sell at the same price. I would however expect him hot to wipe the shelves clean somewhere else so that others could have a chance to pay retail too.

I really hope people like that have that ammo sit on their shelves and the behavior drives him out of business. It's not gouging, but it is profiteering.

Early bird gets the worm. Your just grumpy cause you were to slow. Get there first and you get to decide what is done.

It sounds like he is selling at his cost plus standard retail markup. Figure he pays $20 a brick times 9, so $180. He then marks that upto $540. Figure he has to go and spend a minimum of $20/hour to get the ammo. Since that means getting people over there and standing in line for an hour or so, now his costs are $180 + ($20x3x1.5 hr) = $270. Most retail is 100% markup to allow for expenses (building, lights, employees) and some profit. So it sounds like a reasonable cost. The service he is supplying is to go stand in line for a product you don't even know is there, and then be only able to buy a limited amount.
When you are buying from him, you are paying for that service. If you are like me, it is probably cheaper to go buy from him than to drive around town, and burn time looking for it myself. There are bunch of folks on the classifieds making a little extra money providing the same service to the rest of us who don't have the time. If you want all this to end, then just stop buying ammo until it reaches a price that is reasonable.

Nope, sorry. This dude is flat wrong. It has nothing to do with me or anyone else being "slow", it's just very telling behavior and these are the folks to not do business with.

And I will not buy anything at these panic profiteer prices. I have a life, I cant go make rounds to stores and I'm okay with that. I do my occasional checks, and if I find something I buy my share, not mine and my wife's share, just mine. I want as many of us to have as much as we possibly can.

I'm not complaining about the prices, I am making sure that the poor business practice is being documented. No one should give any profiteer a dime and I will be glad to see them take a huge loss in a few months.

I've said my bit here, and I know that it will fall on some deaf ears, but oh well, you cant reach everyone.

About a year or so ago Big 5 had PMC and federal 9MM for $12.50 for 50 rds. So I would buy a couple boxes at a time. I guess I was just getting prepared. When Obama was first elected I bought American Eagle at Sportsman Warehouse for $12.00 for 50 rds,bought a couple of boxes a trip. I guess I was just being prepared. So if prices come down again be prepared.

Your purchasing power the only real power you have in a capitalist economy. Do not patronize him and convince your friends and family to do the same and then let the owner know why. He will either lower his prices to a reasonable one or go out of business. The standard expression in business is, "One happy customer will net you a single additional cutomer but an unhappy customer will negate ten future customers."
Good luck to you.
Doc

Back when I had an FFL I did the same thing, but I was less greedy. Now that my license has been pulled you can buy a 500 rd box of 22lr for $50 in my shop. If ya want 9mm-$28.50 & .45acp is $38.50. I got all the rest of the popular calibers too, but I understand I have the only store around here where ammo is available. Don't like it, mebbe you should write your congressman, I'm sure they can't wait to help a fellow citizen. Folks can call it whatever they want but if ya want ammo & you didn't think ahead like I did...

Don't like it, mebbe you should write your congressman, I'm sure they can't wait to help a fellow citizen. Folks can call it whatever they want but if ya want ammo & you didn't think ahead like I did...

While I respect your forward thinking vision on stocking up, based on this part of your statement, I for one would not shop your establishment. Once the panic has subsided and prices return to normal, folks will remember your "Gouge them while ya can," attitude and you will, in the end, loose business.

Good luck to you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads