JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An answer/solution for this question has been selected.
Status
Reactions
I received this alert. Is it real or a hack? If it is real, may I ask how you know? And what is this about 26 other accounts? If it is not real, what is going on? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 17.43.22.png Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 17.43.22.png Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 17.43.22.png

Your password is not unique yo NWFA.

Change it to one which is unique ONLY to NWFA, and use the 2 step verification system.

Go thru any other websites, forums & the like you use. Change those passwords to unique ones for all of them.

Meaning, no longer use the same or similar passwords across whatever/wherever you sign jn...

Apparently so. Thank you.
Your password is not unique yo NWFA.

Change it to one which is unique ONLY to NWFA, and use the 2 step verification system.

Go thru any other websites, forums & the like you use. Change those passwords to unique ones for all of them.

Meaning, no longer use the same or similar passwords across whatever/wherever you sign jn...
I doubted the validity of this alert because I do not use this password on "at least 26 other accounts." I haven't added them up, but I doubt if I even have 26 internet accounts, and I do not use the same or similar passwords for the ones I have.

Perhaps a more explanatory and clearly worded alert should be used.

Then why when I try to change my password to something unique, does it give me a "error" warning? No explanation, just error.
Make sure your new password satisfies all requirements. Often there's a minimum and maximum number of characters, capitalizations and alphanumeric entries.

I doubted the validity of this alert because I do not use this password on "at least 26 other accounts." I haven't added them up, but I doubt if I even have 26 internet accounts, and I do not use the same or similar passwords for the ones I have.

It's nor YOUR 26 accounts.... it's 26 accounts belonging to ANYBODY on the database searched....

You did not read this in the link provided?:

Joe Link:

Apologies for the panic everyone, this is part of the update this morning and our ongoing work to keep our members safe. I planned to announce this with some other security updates, but I'll post a bit about it here.
This new feature checks user passwords against a database of 613,584,246 real world passwords previously exposed in data breaches. Hackers, scammers, and other bad actors use these same databases along with automated bots to attempt to gain access to accounts (they already know your username). If you receive this alert, your password is no longer suitable for use and should not be considered secure. You will continue to receive alerts each time you log in until it is changed. As mentioned, you should use a different password for each site you log into along with a password manager to maintain them.
While there are many password managers out there, I highly recommend using Bitwarden. It's completely free, open source, and once you've installed it on your computer(s) and mobile device(s) it can synchronize passwords between them (so you won't lose all your passwords in case something happens to one of them). If you're one of the more tech savvy here, you're probably already using 2FA. If not, you should be. Those who aren't familiar with it should look into it before enabling it on your account, as an unrecoverable account situation is possible if things go wrong.
I've spoken with quite a few members who either aren't too concerned about an account compromise here or don't believe their accounts would be targeted.
Two things on this:
  1. These hackers, scammers, etc. are constantly evolving, and usually when you know why you were targeted, it's too late. Without divulging too much information, these people would love to get their hands on most of the accounts here; and when they do they won't be posting memes. We have thousands of malicious attempts here every single day.
  2. If your account is compromised, it will be locked. In all likelihood, we do not have enough information about you to safely recover your account.

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom folks, but things on the internet are bad, and they're only getting worse. Be proactive and stay safe.

Joe Link

It's nor YOUR 26 accounts.... it's 26 accounts belonging to ANYBODY on the database searched....
This is correct, it's associated with 26 separate accounts which have been compromised at some point across the internet (not here).

I agree 100%, and I'm working on it. I had to implement these features quickly due to the number of malicious access attempts we've been receiving lately.

Then why when I try to change my password to something unique, does it give me a "error" warning? No explanation, just error.

If you're still having trouble with this please start a private conversation with me :)

More info about this and other topics related to account security can now be found here:

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads