Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is this Firing Pin Drag?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Spade, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Spade

Spade Hillsboro, Or New Member

I recently purchased an XD-9 Sub and put some rounds down range. Then noticed the extra marks on the primer. Seems abnormal to me but then most of my experience is weapons that are WAY beyond their break in period.

Anyone have any recommendations of how to address this?

pindrag004.jpg

pindrag004.jpg

2. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

It's a striker fired gun, the primer is sticking out of the bolt face until the slide can cycle back and reset it. This isn't something you can "fix" or "break in".

3. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Yes, its firing pin drag. Its caused by one or two things, or both...weak firing pin spring, or the gun unlocks too soon after the round is fired, and the pin is still in the 'out' position.

Try installing a new firing pin spring. If they make an extra power spring for that, get that one. As for the other, the gun is not timed properly, and you'll just have to live with it. But you could contact customer service and return the gun for repair.

4. Billy 4 HP

Billy 4 HP Skagit Member

Before different springs and such, I'd try a different brand of ammo first and see if it makes any difference...

JMHO...

5. Spade

Yup, both Blazer and Federal. Same markings on both rounds.

EDIT: I'll contact Springfield and see what they have to say.

6. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

My XD40sc and EAA Witness Elite Match (with both .40 and 10mm barrels and 16lb-22lb recoil springs) both do this, it's not something I'm worried about.

7. Spade

Thanks Hahns, I was given a link to a thread about this on the XD forums and apparently its just what they do.