JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
....or is it acceptable?

I have really enjoyed shooting my Garand(s) over the years, but as I'm getting older, using iron sights on anything over 150ish yards is much more difficult. I've put optics on just about all my rifles to help compensate for my fading vision.

I stumbled on this the other day as I was looking at optic options for my M1 Garand:

216791077efbdd4348a86b68793729df.jpg

So my question is, is this ok or is it a horrible insult to "the greatest battle implement ever invented"?

Would love to hear your opinions

You gotta do what you gotta do! It doesn't really even look all that terrible! Also, it's not like M-1's are an endangered species. Just enjoy your rifle!

OMG!!! That is sacrilege! John C. Garand will come back from his grave and haunt
you. LOL Just having some fun with you.
I don't think it will qualify in a John C. Garand match "as issued"?
Seriously NO ONE is ever turned away from a match no mater what mods they
may have. You just may not be eligible for awards. Garand match coming up
on Dec. 13 ar DRRC.
http://www.douglasridge.org/cmp.html

OMG!!! That is sacrilege! John C. Garand will come back from his grave and haunt
you. LOL Just having some fun with you.
I don't think it will qualify in a John C. Garand match "as issued"?
Seriously NO ONE is ever turned away from a match no mater what mods they
may have. You just may not be eligible for awards. Garand match coming up
on Dec. 13 ar DRRC.
http://www.douglasridge.org/cmp.html

Wait...are you saying we didn't issue red dots to our boys in WWII? ;)

....or is it acceptable?

I have really enjoyed shooting my Garand(s) over the years, but as I'm getting older, using iron sights on anything over 150ish yards is much more difficult. I've put optics on just about all my rifles to help compensate for my fading vision.

I stumbled on this the other day as I was looking at optic options for my M1 Garand:

View attachment 111523

So my question is, is this ok or is it a horrible insult to "the greatest battle implement ever invented"?

I love it....especially nowadays with my own CSS issues :D

My opinion is to do what ever your want. This forum is pretty easy going but a lot of the online gun community just love to put down other gun owners because they dont like a modification that was done or dont think that every milsurp rifle should be locked away in a museum like it was the Mona Lisa.

Do whatever you want to your gun. You want to paint it purple? Go for it. You want to sporterize some gun that Patton personally shot Hitler with? Go for it!

It would be worse if you put it in the back of the safe and never shot it again. As long as you don't make an irreversible modification you won't be hurting its collector value either. So go for it and enjoy shooting it.

I think that's a great idea. My eyes are older now, and they are not what they were even ten years ago. Optics for me, unfortunately.

It doesn't look bad at all,actually, like the look.
'Im 65, and full well understand the need for optics.

Congratulations, you own a fine looking Garand...one of my all time favorite firearms... In my opinion, the best all around battle rifle of it's time. That's why they called it ''The rifle that won the war.''

Just got back from the emergency room. Doc said I need to control my blood pressure so please take this off your gun and sell it to me. I'll make sure it doesn't push someone else over the edge. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top