JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This thing is definitely not a raccoon, I have seen (and killed) my share of raccoons. The first thing I thought when I seen it (all I saw was the head) was that it was a monkey. :s0112: I know, wtf right? The teeth were the first thing that got my attention. I guess I have to keep my eye out for one more predator know, good thing I was strapped to the teeth.

The place where I found this creature was only a couple miles up the Wilson River Hwy. from Tillamook on a logging road.

Looks like a Badger to me.

"Badger's? we don't need no 'stinking' Badger's!"

th_hiding.gif

That is a raccoon, look at the front feet compared to the picture of the badger. The ringed tail is a give away too.
( This is just my opinion from the pics I see. I will confess the head does look a little strange for a raccoon. )

Last Edited:
Wolverines are beginning to creep back into Oregon. They are very rare so, although possible, it is very unlikely any of us will come accross one dead or alive in the near future. That being said, this definitely appears to be a raccoon. The paws of a raccoon are small & designed for meticulous work, while a wolverine's paw resembles that of a bear. Check out these trail cam pics of a wolverine in Wallowa County: ODFW News .

It's a coon. (Note the difference in the front feet as compared to the badger picture showing his excavating front claws.) And I see a long tail, and Samurai's observance of the rings I agree with (badgers have practically no tail.)

Oregon finally (and perhaps always did) has wolverines again. But not on the Coast Range. Extreme northeast (and historically in the high Cascades) for them. Documented just recently, and now the search for evidence of a breeding pair is in full swing. This since the last one was believed sighted back in the '50's. Lots of badgers in Eastern Oregon, but probably rare in Wet-tern Oregon.

And, besides, "BADGERS? HEH, HEH, HEH! WE DON' NEED NO STEENKING BADGERS!"

Badger story: Eastern Montana a few years ago: Mister Badger was minding his own business, crossing a dirt road in front of the truck while we looked for antelope. I grabbed my camera and approached, and he took off running. My findings: a Badger can run away at full speed just about as fast as a human can run while holding a camera up and looking through the viewfinder. Secondary findings: a human can run backwards only slightly faster than a Badger that has decided he's done being a photography subject.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top