JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the Del-ton idea as well I have heard good things about them. I believe they were $750 with some goodies included. Also remember with those online deals you have to pay shipping and a transfer fee which could easily come out to $50.

If you were interested in building a budget AR you could also pick out a lower receiver locally and then pickup a rifle "kit" from many reputable manufacturers that includes everything you need to build the rifle shipped to your door (except for the lower receiver which needs to be transferred through an FFL dealer)

here are the del-ton kits

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm

Rock river arms is a highly regarded manufacturer and this kit has a 2 stage trigger:
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=199

If you don't want to assemble a lower or upper, you can buy a complete lower (requires FFL) & the buy a complete upper (no FFL required); you will save at least 10%. I bought a complete LMT lower w/ SopMod for $350 and a complete LMT M4 upper for $550 delivered (weaponsparts.com). That is a tier one rifle for $900 that wholesales for well over $1000.

I just bought a CMMG complet lower for $250. DSA Arms M4 uppers can be had for $275 (Note: you will also need to buy a BCG & charging handle - $150).

With a little shopping around, & two push pins later you will have a quality rifle and save hundreds of dollars. Remember, you are going to want Optics and assys later. ARs are worse than crack! :s0155:

My new LMT M4

both my Oly's Rock and Roll... if you know what I mean. :s0155: I have been told if I have any problems to bring it back and they will fix it. Life time Warranty.

1. Local
2. Friendly
3. Warranty
Ohh... Sub 1" groups at 100yds

Been doing some reading on the links you posted and talked to my brother in law, who has 2 ARs, 1 built, 1 bought. He says that locally I can pick up a decent stripped lower and lower parts kit for about $130 +background check and finish up the gun with a decent upper for around $700 total completed. Definitely going to do it that way and do it in stages so it's not a giant sticker shock at once (wife might take that easier too)

Been doing some reading on the links you posted and talked to my brother in law, who has 2 ARs, 1 built, 1 bought. He says that locally I can pick up a decent stripped lower and lower parts kit for about $130 +background check and finish up the gun with a decent upper for around $700 total completed. Definitely going to do it that way and do it in stages so it's not a giant sticker shock at once (wife might take that easier too)

If you're going to build your own, consider the Noveske deal they are currently offering. Buy a complete upper and get a FREE lower (cosmetic blemished second. I can't find anything wrong with my lower AT ALL!).

Sure the initial cost for the upper is a bit more money... but for ~ $1050 you can build a TOP TIER AR that will last you forever.
Example: <broken link removed>

Then build out the lower with this kit for $150: <broken link removed>

Since you're in Portland, you can just CALL Noveske to order and include your FFL info and they send out the lower/upper together.

THAT is a GREAT DEAL and worth looking at. :s0155: (I might be a bit biased since I just got my Noveske)

Remember there is a reason phathom wanted an Oly, because its in his price range. Its not very easy to build a rifle for $650 and adding $200-300 might not be possible. Give him ideas that keep him in his budget.

To answer the OP, YES THERE ARE CRAPPY AR15s. I've had a couple both Colts A2s and a less reliable weapon cannot be imagined. Pure Crapola out of the box. Sold them and got myself a real battle rifle in 7.62X51.

Talk to Coctailer here on NWFA. He had a really good deal running on those Del-Ton AR15's.

i got mine from him came in plastic hard gun case with five 30 round mags armerers tool. sling its the flat top model with removable carry handle heavy barrel model nice ,nice rifle

Talk to Coctailer here on NWFA. He had a really good deal running on those Del-Ton AR15's.

i got mine from him came in plastic hard gun case with five 30 round mags armerers tool. sling its the flat top model with removable carry handle heavy barrel model nice ,nice rifle

agreed got the same package from coctailer has worked flawlessly about 3000 rounds downrange now....................and dont forget lifetime warranty from delton

Olympic is typically one of the companies that everyone agrees is no good. However, I'm sure someone will be along here in a minute to tell me I'm an idiot and that Olympics are the greatest rifles ever produced.

I cannot say that my Oly (well, the upper is all Oly and the trigger assembly is Oly) is the 'best every' since it is my first AR, but I can say that it seems to be decent quality and has yet to cause me any trouble in any way.
I dont have that many rounds through it, maybe 1k or so. Feeds fine with zero stoppages and is quite accurate out to 200yds. I suspect it will be nicely accurate beyond 200 as well.

In addition, I built my Oly from parts. I suggest this as a great way to do your first AR. You really get to know it when you put it together piece by piece. And it wasnt all that difficult either.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top