JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would be idiotic to ride without liability insurance.

For a car I would agree. For a motorcycle however the chances of you doing significant damage to anything other than youself and your bike and living to be sued after are pretty slim. I have been in 3 accidents on motorcyle, all 3 were the fault of the car driver, and all 3 cars had little or no damage to show for it.

If the bike is financed I would highly recommend insuring it though.

For a car I would agree. For a motorcycle however the chances of you doing significant damage to anything other than youself and your bike and living to be sued after are pretty slim. I have been in 3 accidents on motorcyle, all 3 were the fault of the car driver, and all 3 cars had little or no damage to show for it.

If the bike is financed I would highly recommend insuring it though.

Well, with liability you get uninsured motorist coverage... chances of getting injured by one of them is something more than 'pretty slim...' You also get someone to defend you if fault in an accident is disputed.

Well, with liability you get uninsured motorist coverage... chances of getting injured by one of them is something more than 'pretty slim...' You also get someone to defend you if fault in an accident is disputed.

I have never seen an insurance company include uninsured motorist with liability. Every insurance company I have used has charged extra for uninsured motorist. As far as having the insurance company defend you in an accident thats a bad idea. The insurance companies are going to defend *their* interests first. You are better off getting your own lawyer even if you do have insurance.

I just renewed mine for $190.00 for the year with full coverage on a 83 Aspencade Goldwing and my 2003 1800 VTX both with full coverage. I was with Progressive and found Safeco to be about half the cost with all the same limits and deductables.

Thanks, I'm going to try them when my current comes up for renewal.

"Touring" motorcycles have the best rates of all. The insurance companies figure only "mature" riders would buy one and would be less likely to hot-rod around foolishly, and statistically these bikes have the least accidents. I used to have rock bottom insurance rates from State Farm on my Honda Pacific Coast. It was a tour bike, but was secretly sporty and fast as heck!

VERY IMPORTANT: make sure that you know EXACTLY what the engine cc displacement is when you apply for insurance. Most nominal bike designations are exaggerated, as in named 600 actually being 599, and named 900 being 880. The insurance rate brackets break at the hundred mark, so you will pay much less if you know that your engine size is less than the hundred. Alas for me, mine was EXACTLY 800 cc!

The secret of not having accidents with other vehicles? DON'T LET THEM NEAR YOU!.........................elsullo ;)

I am 27 and bought my first bike, which is a 08 Yamaha FZ1, the only place that was decent was state farm and I pay 65/month for it. It's basically a semi-touring bike with an R1 motor in it. State farm is the best bet. It isnt all engine size either because I was looking at an aprilia tuono R and its the same cc's as my bike, but the insurance was about 40 bucks a month more.

I've never insured my bikes and they were bought new (WA)

In the ten years I've been back on two wheels, I have had zero need for it, either. Most insurance is a scam. I've saved quite a bit of money that I can use to buy fun and valuable assets like guns

A couple things to remember. First. If you finance the bike, the contract will likely require you to have full coverage until the lean is satisfied. If the bike is paid for, you can have usually find a policy that has full coverage for most of the riding months and then what they refer to as storage insurance for a few winter months. Also, I would suggest going to an insurance agency that has several insurance to choose from. That way they can look through several quotes and find the policy with the best price and features...

Well I knwo you all are saying state farm..but there may be a issue there.... lol

U see a bout 5 years back i was a VERY stupid driver... Got a few careless/Wreckless driving tickets... Driving while suspended twice... driving while uninsured and some speeding... Granted I have had a clean record for 3 years this month, but when I got some of the speeding and careless/Wreckless driving tickets on my record i was on my parents insurance and they have Statefarm.. SOOO in a nutshell Statefarm kicked me off and said i couldnt drive any of their cars or they would get kick off as well... sooo yea.. Don't think state farm will insure me...

I've seen a lot of injuries, maimings and death in my 41 years on two wheels (Got my first bike at age 8) Oh, the stories I could tell

Don't try this at home..

Anyone have any current thoughts or updates on which insurance companies are best for sportbikes? I'm 29, clean record for last three years (barely), and am looking at bikes 750-1000cc.

I have used State Farm for many years....home, auto, fire, life. If you bundle your coverage most companies will give you better rates. Of course driving record and age count as well. Value and type of bike count as well. Mine is classed as a sport bike and is kinda pricey (Ducati 749), but I never even looked for another carrier having been with SF for so long.

Elsullo makes a very good point that no one else has mentioned. Sport Touring bikes are going to get you the best rates for something sporty. Also stay away from the Ninja 500. Those are just plain gay. Yamaha FZ's, Suzuki Bandit S, Suzuki SV's and many others are Sport Touring bikes. It comes down to doing your
homework. No two insurance companies are the same. Call them all. American Family has been good to me. The worst insurance that I have had a problem with was progressive. A cager tried to back over me at a gas station cause he was in a hurry and didn't even look to see if there was something behind him. We both had progressive. It soon became obvious that progressives best interests were what was more important than the customers they insure.

OK

I have owned many many many sport bikes. Here is my experience --> Some insurance companies look at the type of bike - sportbike vs cruiser vs enduro etc and formulate cost based on that.. Others like state farm simply look at displacement - so in other words a 1000 cc cruiser pays the same as a 1000 cc sport bike. I have three sportbikes insured through SF now and its roughly 300 a year each. so around 1000 bucks for all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top