JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't seen much of a used market. They don't exactly wear out and the US suppressor market demands a lifetime of use for a number of reasons, so pretty much every reputable manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty.
What kind of a budget were you imagining? There are a lot of good cans on the market that are relatively inexpensive.
What is your intended use, pistol (22,9mm,45), 5.56, 300BLK, rifle, 308, 300win, 7mag, 6.5creed?
There are many knowledgeable users that could help you find something inexpensive we knew your use and budget needs.

The NFA thing makes it a pain to sell a suppressor, sell it then hold it for a year while the buyers paper work goes through.

I appreciate the responses. I definitely understand the pains associated with trying to sell and wait for papers and such. Definitely may not be worth the troubles. Just thought there were maybe folks out there that sold their firearm it was intended for and don't have a need any longer.

I am in the process of finding an AR pistol in 223/5.56 with an 11.5" barrel. The ones that show up on searches cost about as much as the pistol.

This site has been a great resource and I am looking forward to the journey.

As a general rule, there is no interest in used silencers. Holds true for most, though not all, non-MG NFA items. There are some historically significant items that are also NFA. But run of the mill stuff, like most cans, it doesn't make sense for most buyers to go used due to the regulatory burden.

Secondary market isn't really there. Most sellers would ask close to new cost, and you wouldn't know how much abuse the suppressor has been subjected to.
Look into the YHM Turbo T2, I have one sitting in jail right now for my SBR.

I haven't seen much of a used market. They don't exactly wear out and the US suppressor market demands a lifetime of use for a number of reasons, so pretty much every reputable manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty.
What kind of a budget were you imagining? There are a lot of good cans on the market that are relatively inexpensive.
What is your intended use, pistol (22,9mm,45), 5.56, 300BLK, rifle, 308, 300win, 7mag, 6.5creed?
There are many knowledgeable users that could help you find something inexpensive we knew your use and budget needs.
Regarding budget, I really haven't put too much thought into it yet. I want something that is quality and will last me. I see the Surefire, Dead Air Sandman, and Huxwrx come up a lot in my searches for reputable and quality suppressors. Haven't broadened my search too much. I don't need the most expensive, latest and greatest by any means. I just want something that works and works well for what I have.

As a general rule, there is no interest in used silencers. Holds true for most, though not all, non-MG NFA items. There are some historically significant items that are also NFA. But run of the mill stuff, like most cans, it doesn't make sense for most buyers to go used due to the regulatory burden.
The same thing is happening with just used firearms I for one have lost interest in the wait and if 114 kicks in that would be the last nail in the coffin . I am just going to focus on what I have in the past 30 year buying/trading frenzy there are several firearms in the safe that have never been fired . The suppressors that are in my possession from the day I started the paperwork it was know that they would be with me forever .

One thing to remember on a short barrel, you aren't going to get the same suppression as you would with a longer barrel. So, don't suppress a 5.56 pistol thinking it is going to be quiet. It'll just take the edge off. So, use ear pro.

If one was looking to get into the game on a budget are there folks that sell their used ones that have plenty of life left in them??
Since you are in Oregon City I would get a hold of Steve at AFS.

As others have said there is pretty much no used market, but Steve will get you a really great price and is excellent to deal with.

One thing to remember on a short barrel, you aren't going to get the same suppression as you would with a longer barrel. So, don't suppress a 5.56 pistol thinking it is going to be quiet. It'll just take the edge off. So, use ear pro.
On that note @jskel consider a 30 cal supressor for versatility. They are nearly as effective as one designed for 5.56 on that caliber but have a lot more versatility, especially if you get the 300 BO subsonic bug looking for much quieter shooting.

Since you are in Oregon City I would get a hold of Steve at AFS.

As others have said there is pretty much no used market, but Steve will get you a really great price and is excellent to deal with.
Will definitely reach out to him. Thank you for the contact.

With all of your your suggestions on the matter I will scrap the notion of looking for used.

Since you're looking at a $200 tax on top of the base price no matter what, I think looking at this from a budget perspective is the wrong way to go.

New YHM is probably the brand to go with if cash is a concern

I think many here have summed it up with the secondary can market. The long NFA process times makes it a PITA for most in regards to a private transfer. In terms of paying with my time and another's, it's not worth it in my opinion. I figure I'd get the best cans I can afford if I'm going to invest the time and money to do an NFA transfer.

What brand do you run/suggest looking at?
I so far only own Dead Air as they tend to rate at or very nearly at the top in all tests. And the keymo QD system is pretty darn good. They're fairly expensive but not top shelf price, paid about $900 each.

I'm not against other brands, fwiw, I just found a level of price: quality ratio I'm happy with

Last Edited:
There isn't really a place in the market for anything "bad" so keep that in mind.
Everything is a bit of a trade off so I'll give you some things to consider as well as what I like and why.
Size: volume has a great deal to do with suppression but a giant can is cumbersome in some situations so you'll have to decide where to draw the line. Short ("K") cans are really good for some applications but you won't get much sound reduction compared to a 9x1.75" can. Size also affects weight.
Material: this also affects weight but some STEELS (inconel, maraging, stellite) handle extreme heat quite well so if you plan on mag dumps or full auto use they are a good choice vs titanium which is light. For hunting or precision shooting ti is a fine choice.
Mount options/modularity.
Although there is no ONE standard there are some that have more mount options than others. I'd check out Area419 mounts, Dead Air, and the Q plan b/cherry bomb systems.
Dead Air and Energetic are both companies that make cans with many mount options, they both make cans with .30 cal aperture and modular end caps.
If I had to recommend you ONE can I'd get a Nomad for what you described. If you want smaller and are willing to sacrifice sound performance I'd get a VOX. There are many other great options though.
If you want light for hunting I'd get Thunderbeast Ultra 5, if you want long range precision I'd look at an Ultra 9 or Nomad Long Ti, pistol cans, 22 cans, there are many choices so I'd start by considering:
Size vs. weight vs. material vs. durability vs. sound suppression.
I don't think you'd be sad with a Nomad though.

Since you mentioned running it on an AR pistol I would suggest the Huxwrks. While I have other cans, the OSS (now Huxwrks) Helix 7.62 QD was my first can. I bought it to use on my SCAR 17 and Galil Ace. The advantage they offer is that their design results in near zero back pressure. With their design you don't have to worry about "over gassing" the firearm or running a different charging handle to keep stuff from blowing back into your face during operation. If you watch their video on you tube you will see what I mean.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top