JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My .02 cents worth is to have a tactical 12 gauge pump shotgun with the first round being a blank (firing this should be a deterrent to anyone if racking the slide is not). This also prevents stupidity from killing someone without a fair warning that a shotgun is present. Next 2 rounds are rubber ball in front of multiple rubber pellets to be "non-lethal" category. Next 2 rounds (or enough to fill the tube) would be the 00 buck variety (I know how to use a shovel).
I have no desire to kill anyone, even if they have invaded my space unless they are determined to force it upon themselves and then wouldn't think twice about it (after 3 chances of retreat for them, I'd consider them "determined" to become a Darwin Award winner).

Plus, I think you would have a hard time with liberal conviction when you explain that the first 3 rounds fired were obviously intended to not be lethal.

My .02 cents worth is to have a tactical 12 gauge pump shotgun with the first round being a blank (firing this should be a deterrent to anyone if racking the slide is not). This also prevents stupidity from killing someone without a fair warning that a shotgun is present. Next 2 rounds are rubber ball in front of multiple rubber pellets to be "non-lethal" category. Next 2 rounds (or enough to fill the tube) would be the 00 buck variety (I know how to use a shovel).
I have no desire to kill anyone, even if they have invaded my space unless they are determined to force it upon themselves and then wouldn't think twice about it (after 3 chances of retreat for them, I'd consider them "determined" to become a Darwin Award winner).

Plus, I think you would have a hard time with liberal conviction when you explain that the first 3 rounds fired were obviously intended to not be lethal.
A blank? Not a chance in hell! Sounds like a good way to end up dead in your own home!

Respectfully, that's a good way to get killed. And sued. One reason to discharge a firearm; them or me. Using 'less than lethal rounds' will confuse the issue to the point where a bottom feeding law-yer can get you in real legal trouble. "....he threatened my / our / my families life, so I used deadly force to stop the threat....". Simple and justifiable.

Something to consider here....
If the threat is armed and shooting at you....
Chances are that it ain't with blanks or "non-lethal" ammo.

And while I have no wish to ever kill another person again....A threat is threat...shooting at you or not.
So do as you wish....I would not use the loading you suggested.
Andy

Another vote for 12 GA with buckshot. The sound of racking the slide of a shotgun is fairly well recognized. Could dissuade an unwelcome visitor before things escalate.
This is hilarious.

Racking the slide will only serve to tell the intruder where you are.

Then, in a couple of minutes, he'll have your shotgun.

Because he will shoot first.

A blank? Not a chance in hell! Sounds like a good way to end up dead in your own home!
Doubtful that a first round blank adds any increased chance of me ending up dead in my house, or anyone else dead for that matter. The person on the business end certainly doesn't know there's a blank warning round and if they were close enough that there isn't a chance to pump another round into the chamber, they'd get flash burned/blinded by what comes out of the barrel. Most likely this loading profile will result in nobody dead, only severely soiled underwear in the criminals pants. I understand everyone has their own opinion (which everyone thinks is the best & most accurate) to what works best for them and in this case I politely ignore yours. They get 1 warning shot (the blank) and if that's not enough deterrent (should be) they will get the rubber bullets. I'm not aware of many people who would continue their criminal activities after getting hit with one of those blasts.
In all likelihood, it's not really going to be the shotgun I grab in the middle of the night when a break in scenario would more likely occur but the pistol in the GunVault under my bed, but it's hard to argue with a good old 12 gauge where pinpoint accuracy isn't necessarily required and damage caused is known by doers of bad things.
Another opinion of mine is that I doubt many criminals would come looking for you if they definitely heard the rack of a pump shotgun but would rather quickly beat feet from your property.

Something to consider here....
If the threat is armed and shooting at you....
Chances are that it ain't with blanks or "non-lethal" ammo.
:)
And while I have no wish to ever kill another person again....A threat is threat...shooting at you or not.
So do as you wish....I would not use the loading you suggested.
Andy
While I agree with you regarding your statement about a threat being armed and shooting at you using blanks or non-lethal rounds wouldn't be a great choice but that wasn't the question posed by the OP. I obviously wouldn't recommend loading blanks or using non-lethal ammo for an ongoing battle with an armed intruder but the likely criminal that breaks into your house has done so because they thought nobody was home, not to come find you and kill you because you are home (if you have to worry about this, then you run in circles I don't 😁). There are those that commit this act but are not statistically who I'm concerned about breaking into my home.

While I agree with you regarding your statement about a threat being armed and shooting at you using blanks or non-lethal rounds wouldn't be a great choice but that wasn't the question posed by the OP. I obviously wouldn't recommend loading blanks or using non-lethal ammo for an ongoing battle with an armed intruder but the likely criminal that breaks into your house has done so because they thought nobody was home, not to come find you and kill you because you are home (if you have to worry about this, then you run in circles I don't 😁). There are those that commit this act but are not statistically who I'm concerned about breaking into my home.
Have you seen the zombies out there on the streets? Drugs make the tweekers do crazy shat! Someone's in my house at night I fully anticipate they are there to do me and my family harm. Not just there to steel my tv!

likely criminal that breaks into your house has done so because they thought nobody was home, not to come find you and kill you because you are home (if you have to worry about this, then you run in circles I don't 😁). There are those that commit this act but are not statistically who I'm concerned about breaking into my home.
I am not overly worried about someone breaking into my home and doing me harm.
However.....I won't bet my life on your quoted statement.

Again do as you wish...its your life , your situation and your home.
Andy

Edit to add :
Something else to consider :
You don't get to choose who breaks into your house...why they do so..or when.

Life does not play by your rules.

Last Edited:
Have you seen the zombies out there on the streets? Drugs make the tweekers do crazy shat! Someone's in my house at night I fully anticipate they are there to do me and my family harm. Not just there to steel my tv!
If there's someone in my house, it's probably my wife's boyfriend who thought I was still working out of town. :(

That loading arrangement is still quicker/better that adding powder, patch & ball…:rolleyes:
Not sure if you are trying to be humorous or not.

With that said....
If I had to rely on one of my muzzle loaders for home defense it would already be loaded with powder patch and ball...as well as primed or capped.
And to be serious I would be better armed than your loading of a blank in a shotgun.

Again....
If you like the loading you posted in your post # 102 then use it.
Just don't expect others to agree and use it as well.
Andy

You're certainly welcome to your own opinion. For everyone else, please don't listen to this guy. He'll get you killed.

I like this load also and happen to live in the country where this makes an extremely effective dual purpose load as noted in the comments BUT remember it takes 2 hands to operate and its size can be a detriment in small areas and can tend to over penetrate at 8-10 feet away it's almost acting like a slug depending on construction.

If you have family members in the house I tend to lean toward a 9MM. The self defense rounds made in this day and age are very effective and it leaves one hand free to open doors and grab small family members IF NEEDED to move.

The one thing you wont get here is training. Which maybe should be the question you should be asking. Spend the money on a class for home defense or 2 classes. I think once you do this you will have answered your own question. I know that although I have been shooting for a long time the Home Defense class was an eye opener and not only went through the typical scenarios but really put an emphasis on setting up your house so you will never have to pull the trigger.
This is probably the best point made in this tread so far. Proper training, followed up with diligent practice, will make whatever gun and ammo you chose far more effective and safer.

Not sure if you are trying to be humorous or not.

With that said....
If I had to rely on one of my muzzle loaders for home defense it would already be loaded with powder patch and ball...as well as primed or capped.
And to be serious I would be better armed than your loading of a blank in a shotgun.

Again....
If you like the loading you posted in your post # 102 then use it.
Just don't expect others to agree and use it as well.
Andy
I was trying to add a little humor based on your love for the really old school weapons but now have to wonder if you're trying to be funny thinking that a single round musket is better armed than having a single blank round in a shotgun that has follow-up rounds? I'm not sure what the posts claiming I'll get myself (or someone else) killed are based on. I never asked anyone to agree with my opinion or use what I posted if it's not what they want to do. If you don't like it, or agree with it simply move on but comments about getting someone killed because of it are simply hyperbole. Now if you can produce case study or papers that prove otherwise, I'll gladly retract my opinion as dangerous. Otherwise it's my opinion, just as yours is that it's dangerous and will get someone killed. Others are capable of making their own decisions on whether it's a bad idea, okay idea or great idea.
Another benefit to having first round blank is that if for some negligent reason your child gets a hold of your shotgun, the first round likely won't kill a loved one. I have no children so not a concern of mine but those that do, it might be a consideration (I know, kids never touch firearms…).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top