JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Upper, I don't see why not. None of the parts are serial numbered. It's just like buying anything else and selling for profit. Provided it doesn't fall under rules like the 80% ers do - meaning you buy it, finish it and turn it into a fully functional firearm, and start selling those.

With the way prices are on full upper assy, it might be difficult to make a profit. Your time needs to be taken into consideration too, not just cost for parts. :s0155:

At least in WA you would need a Business License.

Would this be if they were wanting to do it as a "business", and not a "hobby"?

Then to keep everything "above board" they would have to either claim it on their taxes as added income, or go down to the local IRS office and file a separate filing? :D

Would this be if they were wanting to do it as a "business", and not a "hobby"
If you are selling for profit it's not considered a "Hobby" so you have to pay the IRS their Blood Money.

And you can just about be assured that the insurance company will want a LOT of Blood Money, too.

Uppers are not firearms. No FFL needed. If you are doing it for profit it is a business and you will need a business license meaning you will need to comply with your local zoning restrictions and file for state and local business license. Since you are assembling uppers , which may go kaboom, you will most likely want to register as an LLC and carry substantial insurance unless of course you relish the thought of getting sued for everything you own and will ever own. And you'll be paying tax.

Liability insurance through State Farm cost me less than $500/year...
So if you build five guns a year that means you have to add $100 to the sale price. If you build 50 a year then it adds $10.

That and all the other expenses. I'm not seeing much profit. A business that only has one product doesn't have much chance of being a real money maker.

So if you build five guns a year that means you have to add $100 to the sale price. If you build 50 a year then it adds $10.

That and all the other expenses. I'm not seeing much profit. A business that only has one product doesn't have much chance of being a real money maker.

Math is good, but building 5 guns a year doesn't sound like a 'business' to me:eek:

When I used State Farms liability policy I had an FFL and was also working as a locksmith. Now I use Geico, I doubt if they charge any more than State Farm did

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top