JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there an effective "dry" lube for guns?

It seems hard not to over lubricate with the usual gun oils like Break Free and Slip 2000. I am tired of oily actions. :(
Has anyone found a dry gun lubricant that works for them? :huh:

Thanks in advance,
Jim

a guy i know used militec-1 while serving in Irac he said its good stuff. i have not used it yet can't seem to find it locally and i like the smell of CLP but midway has it

It seems hard not to over lubricate with the usual gun oils like Break Free and Slip 2000. I am tired of oily actions. :(
Has anyone found a dry gun lubricant that works for them?

I have some spray dry lube with teflon that works well in many shop applications, I wonder how that would work. It would need to be heat resistant of course.

When the M-16 was first introduced to the troops and they found how difficult it was to keep it trouble free some made requests in their letters home to send them a couple cans of "Dri Slide" in their next "Care Package". Dri Slide had been used for years among the Bicycle and Motorcycle riders. It's merely Molybdenum DiSulfide in a carrier that drys off after applied. A lot like Lock Ease only that's graphite.

There are some that claim Teflon Sprays are good but I've found that teflon treatments need to be applied like powder coating to be really effective.

As for Militec-1, it's just as Gooey as CLP and I haven't noticed any greater performance in any of the 7 Semi-Auto weapons I own.

In the end though, if you use something like Dri Slide, you may be just trading "oily" for "filthy". Moly is black and stains like ink. It does make a weapon work well in sandy/muddy/ dirty/wet environments. Just ask anyone that served in Vietnam during the mid 60's.

Here's a source if you're interested or just check out a Motorcycle shop. Dirt bikers still like it.

<broken link removed>

We bought a 2 oz jar of Molybdenum DiSulfide in a powder dry for (not in a tube) and it CAN be really messy, but it works pretty good. I used it on the slide rails and my hi power was noticeably more smooth feeling. It definitely doesn't take much, and it just wipes off when you want to reapply it.

As someone pointed out in another thread a few months ago you can get the Liquid Wrench chain lube - it was developed for use with chain saws and motorcycle chains so it won't damage most plastics or rubber (O rings in bike chains). It is intended to be used on chains and cables - essentially it is a fairly light spray molly grease that penetrates and "drys" so it won't be slung off of a moving bike chain. after spraying it takes between 40 and 60 min to dry leaving a slick molly grease residue that will not drip after the dry time. I have tried this and it seems to work quite well and provides resistance to corrosion as well. The bonus is that it is available at most hardware stores and fairly inexpensive compared to "purpose built" gun lubes.

The bonus is that it is available at most hardware stores and fairly inexpensive compared to "purpose built" gun lubes.

Want some real eye-openers on those "purpose built" lubes, just get hold of the MSDS sheet for the product. Look at the active ingredients and compare with the plain old "Generics".

Just like in the world of Boats, products go way up in price where a picture of a boat is applied to the can and it's labeled "Marine".

Eezox for all cleaning and lube, and then slide-glide for anything that needs a little grease.... once you've tried Eezox, you won't go back to anything prior.

Eezox:

<broken link removed>

Slide-Glide:

Brian Enos's Slide-Glide Pistol & Firearm Lube

Stay Safe.

+1

This is exactly what I use. A quick spray on a rag, run the bore snake and wipedown is all that is required after a range session. A thin smear of grease every now and then and good to go.

Eezox also works well on knives and other tools...nothing sticks to it once it is coated. I haven't needed any solvents or oils for a long time.

Smells good too! LOL

When the M-16 was first introduced to the troops and they found how difficult it was to keep it trouble free some made requests in their letters home to send them a couple cans of "Dri Slide" in their next "Care Package".

I've thought about trying that but I keep hearing from metallurgist type folks in gun forums that sometimes graphite reacts with aluminum and can cause corrision so I've been reluctant to try it on aluminum parts like 22 conversion slides on 1911s.

Has anyone found a dry gun lubricant that works for them? :huh:

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Hornady One-Shot dry lube.

I too would like something that actually works.

My pistols get a light application of my special Gun Oil. It comes from what I drain out of my motor oil containers after changing oil on my truck. I usually get enough from draining 7 empty quart bottles, for a day or so, to lube my pistols for a year. Since I use only premium synthetic oil in my truck that's what my pistols get. Just enough to lube the mechanism/slide. Not enough to splash on my glasses when I fire it.

At one time or another I've tried just about everything but always end up back with good motor oil. A good wipe down after lubing goes a long way to keep the oil where it belongs.

I've also found that carbon fouling on my AR's doesn't seem to be as bad with the synthetic oil.

Now if anyone just had a cure for all the "exhaust blow back" from the AR's. Last time I went shooting with my Grandson we both came back looking like Coal Miners. Even got the blowback from one of my AR's with the expensive charging handle that's supposed to stop that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top