JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not if it's used properly. If deployed correctly, you shouldn't have enough warning to make the preparations necessary to effectively combat the effects. The fact that the grenade just landed should just be registering when it goes off.

OK, suppose you're already wearing hearing protection. A window breaks. Is closing your eyes enough, and what's this about opening your mouth?

What about my welding goggles that don't get dark until there's a flash of light?

The last time someone told me to open my mouth and close my eyes, I woke up with my tonsils missing. That was a long time ago but I never forgot that hospital. :)

Opening your mouth prevents the shockwave from potentially rupturing your eardrums due to the over pressure. Think clearing your ears when diving. It also help maintain your equilibrium and balance by not overpressuring the middle ear.
I will 2nd El Gringo though if deployed properly you have about 1-2seconds from the time you hear the window break until your world gets REALLY LOAD and REALLY bright.

So if you were already wearing good shooting muffs and self-darkening welding goggles you might be OK? The goggles are fast - fast enough to protect you from the welding arc. ??

Remember that, although the effects can last longer, the intent of the flash bang is to buy the user 5-30 seconds of extra time. The flash bang is intended to disorient an opponent just long enough to gain tactical superiority, not to put them out of the fight for an extended period of time. The five seconds that you use to hit the deck, cover up, shake off the shock wave of the blast, and remove the welding helmet and look around, just gave your attacker enough time to breach the door and and take the room. You are still reacting to your opponents moves and, therefore, at a serious disadvantage.

Remember that, although the effects can last longer, the intent of the flash bang is to buy the user 5-30 seconds of extra time. The flash bang is intended to disorient an opponent just long enough to gain tactical superiority, not to put them out of the fight for an extended period of time. The five seconds that you use to hit the deck, cover up, shake off the shock wave of the blast, and remove the welding helmet and look around, just gave your attacker enough time to breach the door and and take the room. You are still reacting to your opponents moves and, therefore, at a serious disadvantage.

OK, but you don't have to remove the welding helmet or goggles. They self darken and immediately lighten - fast enough to weld with. This is so you can see your work until and unless you strike an arc. With those and shooting ear muffs, why would you have to do anything?

If the situation has degraded to the point you are pinned down and waiting for the grenade through the window I think a change in stratagy would be advised. You have a few choices, give up, fight to the death or attack. The choices determin what the surroundings will look like when you are gone.

jj

OK, but you don't have to remove the welding helmet or goggles. They self darken and immediately lighten - fast enough to weld with. This is so you can see your work until and unless you strike an arc. With those and shooting ear muffs, why would you have to do anything?

Maybe wearing all that stuff would help. My point was that flash bangs are designed to disorient and distract. Even if you avoid the disorientation portion, you are likely still distracted while trying to overcome or avoid the disorienting effects. From everything I have ever learned in any training, the proactive aggressor will have a degree of advantage over a reactive defender. Flashbangs and violence of action in an assault are designed to interrupt your thought process, causing sensory overload and forcing reaction rather than allowing you to do what you want to do.

Sure is - Fill your house full of natural gas between 4 and 14% and get in a metal box with a fresh air intake and wait for them to toss that puppy in.

They'll get a bigger flash bang

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads