JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've discovered that some of my 5.56 and .308 handloads may have been or were fired from a tapered chamber such as a MG; and they will not fully chamber.....

I've done all the routine case preps, and the cases that are sticking, show a witness mark @1/8" above the rim.

I'm looking at getting the RCBS Small Base Dies for future loads..

Wondering how I can SAFELY resize the cartridges I have already loaded and are measured to be too wide at the base.

Would using a sizing die without the decapping pin work?
Would this be a suicide mission?

If this were just a taper crimp rather than full length resizing, I would say go ahead, but full length resizing a loaded cartridge is asking for trouble.

Always stay on the safe side and pull the bullets before full length resizing.

As I use a lot of "Range Brass", I always full length resize with small base dies, case length and run my loaded rounds through a "Chamber Die".

A stuck case can ruin your day, or your life....:eek:

I have done this on a couple of rounds that have had the shoulder-area out of spec. (Yeah yeah, I know, but is there anyone on here who hasn't done something they knew they shouldn't??) Anyway, the problem I found was that as you near the end of the travel the die squeezes the neck against the bullet and loosens the neck tension enough you can pull the bullet out with your fingers. IF you are going to try this, and I'm NOT recommending it, make sure to check the tension and seating depth!!

Safely:
No

I ran into the same issue a while back. My shoulder had not been bumped back enough on 100 loaded rounds. That sucked.

Pulled, emptied and took depriming rod out and fixed it.

Amazing what .005" of a setback made.

Last Edited:
I'm glad I asked; thanks everyone.

I'll pull the bullets and do it right

I found the short base dies at Bi-Mart for $36.00; searching for a chamber die this evening.

I been reloading since I was 11 that's 47 years of reloading. And the best lesson my dad who taught me has always been do it right do it safe.

In all that time (knock wood) I have never had an accident due to improperly loaded ammo (I load for 9 handgun calibers and 7 rifle calibers) SAFETY FIRST

Amen.jpg

Seems to me it would be far more dangerous to load a compressed load. It isn't uncommon with some powders to have to fill the case to the top of the neck and then seat the bullet and compress the powder all at the same time.

Could someone explain how it could go off without the primer being struck?

Seems to me it would be far more dangerous to load a compressed load. It isn't uncommon with some powders to have to fill the case to the top of the neck and then seat the bullet and compress the powder all at the same time.

Could someone explain how it could go off without the primer being struck?

I'm new here but i'll jump in. I would never recommend doing anything that could have unexpected results. Will the round explode, most likely not but will the case get stuck in the die , I think it is possible. Remember he will be using the sizing die and not the seating die. Is their enough clearance at the neck with the bullet in not to jam its self tight. Now what, heck just take a punch and hammer that sucker out. My advice, stick with safety first in mind and enjoy the hobby as it was meant to be.

You are correct about using a regular die...that probably wouldn't work. I was thinking a bushing die or a Redding body die. Take the bushing out of a bushing die and you have a body die only.

I can understand hoping for a remedy that doesn't include knocking the round apart, but I don't think there's a good shortcut.

Count me in the "Take it apart" camp.

It does work. I lightly resized about 400 rounds one time doing it with a body die. There was a discussion about it on Accurateshooter one time about it. The majority voiced the same opinion voiced here, but a few of the more credible members said they did it. So I gave it a try while hiding on the other side of my fridge. Nothing blew up. 400 rounds later they all chambered just fine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top