JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm getting a can for my Ruger 10/22. I'd like to have the option of somehow SAFELY stopping the semi-auto action to prevent the associated cycling noise. My thought is some kind of removable pin or stud through the receiver and into or behind the bolt. Before I contact my favorite gunsmith, does anyone have ideas? (And, yes, I've considered getting a bolt action, but I'd like to be able to use my 10/22.) Also, would such a conversion violate any FFA laws?
Thanks,
Max

Just a guess but that would slowly destroy the receiver from the excess pressure trying to blow it back.

I could be wrong or it could take 10's of thousands of rounds to do so.

Also if your going to have to pull that pin and then cycle the bolt every shot, well they have pumps, levers and bolt actions for a reason;).

FFA laws? What do the Future Farmers of America have to do with it? o_O

Seems like a lot of work and stress on the rifle. For what payoff? A clicking noise? Really, just buy a bolt action if it bothers you that much. :rolleyes:

JMHO, but you are over thinking this. Hold the bolt closed with your thumb or finger. There are a couple ways to do this, just take your (insert gratuitously double checked safety comment here) rifle and try holding it a couple different ways to find what works best for you and your shooting style. For off hand I hold my left hand under the magazine with my left thumb behind the bolt.

JMHO, but you are over thinking this. Hold the bolt closed with your thumb or finger. There are a couple ways to do this, just take your (insert gratuitously double checked safety comment here) rifle and try holding it a couple different ways to find what works best for you and your shooting style. For off hand I hold my left hand under the magazine with my left thumb behind the bolt.

Yep. This is a fine way to not cycle and simplest.

D

Place thumb on charging handle. Done.

Buy this.

collosicboltlock.jpg

Or this.

upload_2018-9-25_19-9-15.jpeg

Run the proper ammo and it will cycle quietly. I have a few 22's that I run my can on and the 10/22 holding the bolt closed is the loudest.

I'm getting a can for my Ruger 10/22. I'd like to have the option of somehow SAFELY stopping the semi-auto action to prevent the associated cycling noise. My thought is some kind of removable pin or stud through the receiver and into or behind the bolt. Before I contact my favorite gunsmith, does anyone have ideas? (And, yes, I've considered getting a bolt action, but I'd like to be able to use my 10/22.) Also, would such a conversion violate any FFA laws?
Thanks,
Max
I have made bolt stops for 10/22s several times. I can send you a picture of one and how they go on the rifle if you would like?

FOUND IT! This is just what I wanted: simple, no gunsmithing required. Magnetic piece slips into place behind charging handle, sticks to bolt, quick to remove to charge next shot or go back to semi-auto. Found on eBay for $10.95, free shipping (Ruger 10/22 Compatible Single Shot Bolt Block Accessory 1022 Bolt Barrel | eBay). Same idea should work for my Ruger Ranch Rifle...just need to shape one from aluminum stock and affix magnet.
Thanks to all who replied.
Max
images.jpg 2017-10-21 18.44.48_zpsb3ds5lyj.jpg

Last Edited:
FFA laws? What do the Future Farmers of America have to do with it? o_O

Seems like a lot of work and stress on the rifle. For what payoff? A clicking noise? Really, just buy a bolt action if it bothers you that much. :rolleyes:

OOops,,, Was thinking about NFA, the National Firearms Act, Title ll (Any Other Weapon regs).

Good videos and thank you RVNvet. The 10-22 being modified to fire non semi auto might quiet down a suppressed platform. The concern is that after your more silent single shot you still have to rack the action smartly to guarantee feeding the next round. This also makes noise. I suppose there may be situations where you need that more quiet single shot. Hand cycling the next round would create more noise. You would then have two, (2) distinct noise events.

Our suppressed short barrel Ruger 10-22 is very quiet. Aquila SSS 60 grain sub sonic solids. Elite Iron Echo 6" Can. An eight, (8) inch Green Mountain SS HB Bentz Chamber 1X9 twist barrel. Frankenstein Butler Creek/Choate chopped folding stock. Leopold 1x4x20 scope. A plastic bolt stop pin does quiet things down. All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply. Stay safe. Know your backstop. Stay legal. Garden monsters.

That is all.

Green Mountain Barrels.
Elite Iron Suppressors

You could see if they make a buffer you could slip in there, like they do in SKS, I prefer not to mess with the cycling, most times it built that way for a reason. Same on the SKS, they make em, I wouldnt use em.

It is very nice to have a 10/22 Bolt Hold-Closed option . Suppressed, it makes for stealthy quiet with no cycle, with still having auto-feed if you want to choose . It is the best of both worlds .
Plus .22lr rimfire is such a dirty ammo . it really pay's off with a suppressor and just target shooting because you keep your 10/22 chamber and Magazine clean of all the filthy rimfire blowback that quickly fouls the Mag. .

Only takes couple hours of time and any Macgyver can do it . It Easy to just make a Bolt hold-closed knob for your 10/22 . I have also had 2 custom 10/22 trigger groups with a hold bolt-close option inboard . but making your own This is the easiest way .
And you really need to make it yourself for a nice perfect fit, because not all of the millions of 10/22Receivers are made exactly same + - tolerance size , plus there is such a selection of aftermarket Bolt Handles and parts when going custom and they all different shape.

I have made a few and it is just a piece of stainless flat stock same width as ejection port . shaped by dremel and hand file-fit for shape . Drilled and tapped for a handle . Then drill-pocket hole for 2 tiny rare earth magnets placed on both sides of handle, to 'stick firmly' hold/secure to Bolt .

this one I have used, and it stays/married to this 10/22 for about last 10+ years and works perfect .
Backside of Bolt hold-open plate
1 1-22-23.jpg

454907-e4a65e9c722d75d9c9930637a7a2e119.jpg
-
454908-85b139457e56ee727b23c8c96af08d6a.jpg
- 2 10-22-24.jpg 10-22-22.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class