JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have two rifles that I used a die and a bore guide to thread myself. I would like to use my incoming can on both but I am worried about alinement. Would not be so much fun to damage it with a baffle or cap strike right out of the gate. Is there any simple way to check the alinement?

I would think a dowel would work, never tried it but a straight and true dowel of close approximate caliber/diameter should verify if the clearances are there or not.

I bought a bunch of Shim kits and have been swapping out my crush washers. The two I am most worried about though don't even have a shoulder.

I have made my own alignment rods out of different ground steel rods I've had laying around the shop. I then turn a small pair of brass bushings to lightly press fit onto the rod. The bushings are turned to the proper size OD prior to fitting them on the rod. Works great.
Wood not so great for checking alignment..

For smaller cal you can just turn a brass rod to the proper dia. and slip it into the bore. It should slip down into the bore at least a few inches!

I have made my own alignment rods out of different ground steel rods I've had laying around the shop. I then turn a small pair of brass bushings to lightly press fit onto the rod. The bushings are turned to the proper size OD prior to fitting them on the rod. Works great.
Wood not so great for checking alignment..

For smaller cal you can just turn a brass rod to the proper dia. and slip it into the bore. It should slip down into the bore at least a few inches!

Can you snap a pic of your bushing set up?

Checking suppressor alignment is simple and does not require specialized tools.

1. Mount the suppressor on its intended firearm.

2. Get a bore light and illuminate the bore from the chamber end. Or somehow shine a light down the bore.

3. Look down through the MUZZLE end of the suppressor. The bore of the firearm should appear as a perfect circle in the exact center of the the suppressor. It will be obvious. If the bore appears to be an out-of-round circle or off to one side of the suppressor end you have misalignment.

4. You should check the suppressor alignment this way EVERY time you mount the suppressor on its firearm. Failure to do so is an open invitation to a baffle strike.

"Here endeth the lesson."

This should work. Your eyes can detect out of round (concentricity) down to the thousandths of an inch. Your eyes and brain naturally do a very good job of trying to make circles concentric. If the bore and baffles are off, you will know. You may not know by how much, but you at least will see a problem and then use proper tools to diagnose.

Checking suppressor alignment is simple and does not require specialized tools.

1. Mount the suppressor on its intended firearm.

2. Get a bore light and illuminate the bore from the chamber end. Or somehow shine a light down the bore.

3. Look down through the MUZZLE end of the suppressor. The bore of the firearm should appear as a perfect circle in the exact center of the the suppressor. It will be obvious. If the bore appears to be an out-of-round circle or off to one side of the suppressor end you have misalignment.

4. You should check the suppressor alignment this way EVERY time you mount the suppressor on its firearm. Failure to do so is an open invitation to a baffle strike.

"Here endeth the lesson."

Last Edited:
I went with Mr. Natural's idea today due to the fact that I COULD NOT WAIT ONE MORE DAY TO PUT MY CAN ON MY RIFLE!!!!!!
Put a bright light down the barrel and looked into the Can and saw a circle......Unloaded first and double/triple checked...
I also will say that I spent a lot of time doing a good install on the Adapter, following all instructions and checking my work.. I also bought a Surefire Can for to the quality and the Adapter Lock up is great!

Rifle went Bang or I mean bang...... All was good..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top