JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to the range today with my new, unfired 10/22 and some brand new Butler Creek 25 round mags. I was having serious FTF issues with the mags if I loaded them to full capacity, they would stay in the mag instead of feeding into the barrel. If I only loaded 20 they worked better. I also noticed that CCI Mini Mag ammo and Remington Cyclone seemed to work a lot better than the Reminton Golden Bullet bulk stuff. It also seemed like I had fewer issues as the shooting session progressed. I had zero issues with the factory 10 round mag, regardless of ammo used. Is there a "break in period" for 10/22's and/or the BC mags? Any tricks or tips from a 10/22 guru would be appreciated. I would love to get my hands on one of the new Ruger factory 25 round mags but good luck finding one....

It depends on the feed lips I have 2 BC steel lips mags that I have used for years with no problems. I got a BC plastic feed lips 25 round mag and I have had nothing but problems so it sits in a drawer. IMHO

Butler Creek "Hot lip" plastic lip mags----junk.

Butler Creek Steel Lip mags----Not too bad.

Ruger 25 rd mags-----Better than anything Butler Creek.

Butler creeks are a mixed bag of headaches. I have had a couple that seemed to work ok, but some that require too much attention. One I have to apply forward pressure too for it to feed at all.

Now I only purchase the BX-25's. My three sons each received a new one in their stockings for Christmas. Of course trying to find one now might be difficult with the current state of affairs. :(

When I had a 10-22 I bought some Butler Creek mags. I finally figured out how to make them "work". I smashed them with a hammer and went back to the Ruger mags.

The Butler Creek mags were the fastest way to turn a decent rifle into a POS!

If they are the Hot Lips magazines, I would throw them in the trash. The ones I had never worked, and that is exactly what I did.

The Steel Lips version, in my experience, work very well.

I have a half dozen Butler Creek Hot Lips mags that I have fired thousands and thousands of trouble free rounds through. I always find it odd to read the widespread disdain for these mags when I have been totally content with mine.

One possible difference... I use the hot lips loader exclusively. It may load the rounds in the mag more consistently..I don't know. My 10/22s do not like Remington ammo, act funky after several hundered rounds of lead ammo and need cleaning, but will eat copper coated Federal bulk pack till the cows come home with no cleaning...

imho,remmy gold ammo is an aboomination !! won't feed in anything I own,and won't fire WAY too often.
BC steel lip mags...some days they just work better than others. temp variables maybe?

If i had it to do all over again.i'd skip hicaps and buy all ruger 10 rounders.

BX25..a little better than steel lipped BC's but they are not 100 per cent either in my carbine.They do fit a smidge snugger than the bc's ie: lockup a a bit better.

Send them my way I guess because I got the special kid 10/22 that runs them no problem. Only issue i've had is on brand new mags sometimes they need a little working in.

Went out today to sight in my new 10/22 using Butler Creek mags.....nothing but problems with each mag. Very disappointed!!!! Went back to using Ruger 10 rd mags....no problems.

I'll give them a try again....maybe the springs are too tight? I won't give up just yet, but if they continue to give me issues...into the drawer.

imho,remmy gold ammo is an aboomination !! won't feed in anything I own,and won't fire WAY too often.
BC steel lip mags...some days they just work better than others. temp variables maybe?
I agree about the poor performance of the rem ammo.

Throckmorton said:
If i had it to do all over again.i'd skip hicaps and buy all ruger 10 rounders.
Also agree that the ruger 10 rounders are the best feeding mags, but I still like the BX-25

have ya tried a little squirt of wd-40 or a couple of drops of gun oil on the lips and follower?. I've done this on new mags,,they wear in, and become happy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top