JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is there a easy to do Serial # check site online other then going to a Gun Store ? I have some handguns that belonged to my dad , and I want to see if they are registered to him or not .
THANKS
Unless you live in a commie state, guns aren't registered.

If he bought them befor Oregons BGC law they arent registered to anyone.
There isnt a way to check registration (that i know of...), you can call the OSP to check if any are stolen but they will ask for the address which registers them.
Yes, there is a registry...

There isnt a way to check registration (that i know of...), you can call the OSP to check if any are stolen but they will ask for the address which registers them.
Not one that matters. Statue of limitations is two years I believe; trust but verify.

Unless I'm missing something, the feds don't prosecute state crimes (not that I'm advocating breaking the law).
Im not certain if they type of registry matters?.
Leave your gun downtown, and youll get a knock on the door soon enough....

Is there a easy to do Serial # check site online other then going to a Gun Store ? I have some handguns that belonged to my dad , and I want to see if they are registered to him or not .
THANKS
Why?

Keep it mind this hasn't also been a commie state and buying/trading firearms among owner sans an FFL was a normal thing once a time.

A seller is required to have a background check performed, and that can, currently, only be done through an FFL. Part of the Oregon State Police check is to run it through the stolen gun list. That's allegedly one of the reasons Oregon goes through OSP.

You could possibly call the OSP and ask for the list. Anything else falls under the category of not inviting the man into your life.

The only thing someone needs to worry about is if they unknowingly bought a stolen gun, or if they want to keep a pre BGC gun, unregistered.

When I have called the OSP line to check a gun's SN against the stolen records database, their question is do you have the gun in your possession, and what address you are at. In the event the gun comes up stolen in the database, they send an OSP officer out to retrieve it. For clarification, is this maybe what you were meaning by the OSP asking for the address which registers them?

I've been at an FFL doing a transfer when the OSP came by to pick up a gun (unrelated to my transaction) that came up stolen in the database. On another occasion, I had a gun I purchased from a FFL in Wisconsin shipped to a local Oregon FFL. When the OR FFL ran the SN of the incoming gun during the OSP BGC, it came up stolen. OSP was at the FFL the following morning, retrieved the gun, and sent it back to the PD where it was reported stolen years ago in Florida.

When I have called the OSP line to check a gun's SN against the stolen records database, their question is do you have the gun in your possession, and what address you are at. In the event the gun comes up stolen in the database, they send an OSP officer out to retrieve it. For clarification, is this maybe what you were meaning by the OSP asking for the address which registers them?
yes, thats what I meant. Honestly dont know if they register that information but I dont trust they shred it after the call ends. (I do understand the need to retrieve a gun should it turn up on the stolen list).

yes, thats what I meant. Honestly dont know if they register that information but I dont trust they shred it after the call ends. (I do understand the need to retrieve a gun should it turn up on the stolen list).
Thanks, not trying to step on anyone's toes (and I'm not implying you reacted as such). Just wanting the OP to have clear information about what I understand the process is, if they choose to contact the OSP with the SNs of the firearms received from their father.

I had a shotgun my father gave me that he had gotten many years prior (pre BGC days) as a gift from a neighbor. Some time later, I decided to sell or trade it. Since I didn't know the history of the gun prior to the neighbor, and I didn't want any potential for a "surprise" when a BGC was run for the buyer, or dealer on a trade would check the SN, I called it in just for peace of mind.

Last Edited:
Not one that matters. Statue of limitations is two years I believe; trust but verify.
Not sure if this is what you meant, but in 2016 Kate Brown issued executive order 16-12 which directed the OSP to retain firearms transaction records for 5 years. Prior to that time, records were only kept for 6 months (officially).

Not sure if this is what you meant, but in 2016 Kate Brown issued executive order 16-12 which directed the OSP to retain firearms transaction records for 5 years. Prior to that time, records were only kept for 6 months (officially).

No, I was referring how far back they can go to prosecute you if you were to not use a BGC, (don't break the law by the way).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top